How to Replace the Internal MicroSD Card - RT6

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

ariel2k2
My Cars: DS4 1.6 THP (2013)

Re: How to Replace the Internal MicroSD Card - RT6

Post by ariel2k2 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 22:24 2Gb is too small! If the media is too small it won't work as the system won't be able to create the partitions from the firmware. You'll need a class 10 16Gb MicroSD card.

You'll also need to get your CD back working as you won't be able to update via USB in this state (you'll keep getting CRC Media Errors). Then use the firmware on CD to reinstall.

Make sure you copy the 'User Data' folder from the old SD card first, as this has your vehicle configuration settings and vehicle options stored. You can copy this folder back afterwards.
Hey bro! Thanks for the reply. You're doing an excellent work here helping the community with this issues. So... Do I need to burn the iso to CD? I was able to start a USB update with the corrupted sdcard installed but, of course it crashes in the 3/4 stage. So, when I restart the unit, no more operative system, just the black screen and it turned on only when I put an USB stick with firmware on it. The original sdcard is SanDisk 8gb. Now I'll remove the 64gb and I'll try with the 2gb because RN I haven't any other :(

About the software the installed on the RT6 was 2.7 I was able to see it pressing SETUP 5 sec before the unit failed when updating the software. Now I need to know about the best iso for this unit I downloaded the 2.80 original iso, hopefully works.

I was thinking about manually copy the files to the sdcard before installing it on the unit. So in that way I'll not need any further firmware pendrive/cd update... Is that possible?
ariel2k2

Post by ariel2k2 »

Ok CRC error on media with 2gb sdcard I got a brand new SanDisk class 10 16gb... Let's see!
ariel2k2

Post by ariel2k2 »

Ok tried with 2gb 64gb and finally 16gb all the same.

Black screen and keeps restarting until I put some firmware pendrive in the USB port.

The unit read it, shows:

1.- CRC Media checking... (for about 4/5 min)

2.- CRC error on media
System restarting in 3, 2, 1...

Using ISO to USB - Versions 2.71, 2.8 and 2.86

No matter what. I'm getting the same error.

Do I have to burn the iso to a CD? And use the CD to update the firmware?

Sorry for my questions but I need to fix this and the official service ask for a lot of money and I can't spend it right now...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

1. You can't copy the files manually, you must allow the firmware to install correctly from the media.
  2. With the system in this state, you can't install firmware from the USB, you need to use the CD.
  3. You must burn the ISO file to the CD using a compatible low burn speed and finalise the media.
  4. V2.86 was the last official release of the firmware and is a FULL version, so should be used if you are not having luck with your previous firmware versions. But, be warned, if you do use V2.86, you may loose all your vehicle configuration options once you get the system back up - unless you have first copied the original user data folder from your old SD Card and copied it back after you have performed the new installation from the firmware on the new MicroSD card.
  5. Don't format or alter the new MicroSD card at all - it should be opened from the packet and installed in the Head Unit. The firmware will format the card correctly and create the appropriate partitions for you during the installation process.
  6. Once you have installed the new firmware from the CD and it has booted, you can switch off the system remove the MicoSD card and then copy the user data folder back into the correct original partition and location, reinstall the Micro SD card and restart the system.
If it has been successful you will have a working system with your original options.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ariel2k2

Post by ariel2k2 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 11:45
  1. You can't copy the files manually, you must allow the firmware to install correctly from the media.
  2. With the system in this state, you can't install firmware from the USB, you need to use the CD.
  3. You must burn the ISO file to the CD using a compatible low burn speed and finalise the media.
  4. V2.86 was the last official release of the firmware and is a FULL version, so should be used if you are not having luck with your previous firmware versions. But, be warned, if you do use V2.86, you may loose all your vehicle configuration options once you get the system back up - unless you have first copied the original user data folder from your old SD Card and copied it back after you have performed the new installation from the firmware on the new MicroSD card.
  5. Don't format or alter the new MicroSD card at all - it should be opened from the packet and installed in the Head Unit. The firmware will format the card correctly and create the appropriate partitions for you during the installation process.
  6. Once you have installed the new firmware from the CD and it has booted, you can switch off the system remove the MicoSD card and then copy the user data folder back into the correct original partition and location, reinstall the Micro SD card and restart the system.
If it has been successful you will have a working system with your original options.
Ohhhh I see. So it's good to know that if you're having the black screen without the RT6 OS running, the only way to solve it is via CD. NVM if the system shows checking media when you try the USB firmware, it'll never work. So USB update is only when you've the RT OS running. Thanks Marc! I'll burn a CD in the slowest speed available starting with 2.86. I have all the ISO images from 2.71 to 2.86. And I will proceed with your suggestion (6) if needed. The 16gb SanDisk SD went directly from the closed package to the unit and stills there, should work!

Let me sincerely thank you again for this fantastic work and support for RT6 users.
ariel2k2

Post by ariel2k2 »

Hey! Update via CD works like a charm. Started in the first try with 2.80 CD... Wheel buttons ok but the buttons of the panel are a mess and no sound at all after booting. I'm installing 2.85 hopefully it gets fixed!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, but be prepared if you have lost configuration after the update, you may need to visit the dealer to have it configured from their servers.

Marc
ariel2k2

Post by ariel2k2 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 21:28 Ok, but be prepared if you have lost configuration after the update, you may need to visit the dealer to have it configured from their servers.
Yeah bro seems like now the system is running ok but the config is a mess because the original config is gone with the old previous corrupted sdcard. 2.86 running without sound, and also the panel buttons are mixed. Wheel buttons are ok. I read something about mirascript and some config files to script the config file in the new sdcard. My car is a DS4 2013 THP... Do you know something about it? And thanks for all the help! You're great!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't provide support with mirascripts, but if you google it there will be places you can find further information on what it can and can't do. Your user configuration data is missing, so it does not know what vehicle or options and equipment your vehicle has. You won't also be able to change the language and other options, even with the Diagbox diagnostic tool, as the unit will be locked in secure mode.

So you'll need to do some research on Mirascripts to find a way forward or get the dealer to configure the unit for you.

Marc
ariel2k2

Post by ariel2k2 »

Thanks Marc! I'll invest some time in researching this.
ggilliland
My Cars: 2013 Peugeot 508

Post by ggilliland »

I hope someone can help. My 2013 508's stereo stopped working one day, blank screen, no sound and a whirring CD player. Having read around the internet I replaced the SD card and installed the firmware (2.86 as per the version previously in the car). All went well, the firmware installation appeared to finish with the screen saying something along the lines of restarting system. But after rebooting I'm in the same position as before, nothing happening except a whirring CD.

I'm assuming since the replacement SD card didn't fix things that the unit is properly broken and needs replacing. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

If it is dead has anyone had any luck with alternatives from someone other than Peugeot because the idea of paying £1500 for a new RT6 is out of the question and 2nd hand seems like a lot of risk given the need to match models exactly. I know I'll lose some functionality but all I'm really looking for is a radio and Bluetooth so a basic Halfords job is enough but I would like it to look at least half way tidy.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It sounds like you have a CD stuck in the unit and the system is trying to read from it, as this is the first 'boot' device when the system is restarted. The firmware is normally installed from the firmware CD.

So you need to eject the CD and try restarting it first of all.

Marc
ggilliland

Post by ggilliland »

You're incredibly patient you've been answering questions on this topic forever. Thank you, you and others like you are what makes the internet a great place at times.
I managed to get the CD out (with the help of a butter knife and some sticky tape) but there's still nothing on screen and CD drive is still intermittently whirring asking for a CD. The screen's backlight is on but nothing else is happening. I reran the install from a USB just in case and again it completed but after the restart still nothing just the CD noise.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so my recommendation to you is that it is trying to read the firmware from the CD. You can order a genuine firmware CD (2.86) from the dealer for a few euros. Make sure you don't get any finger prints on it and allow it to try and read the CD in case it is missing some files. Leave it for a good while to see if there is any progress or message on the screen. Installing from CD will take a lot longer than USB.

Also can you confirm the contents of your USB key - it needs top be formatted FAT32 first of all. But if you can screenshot the USB files, I can at least have a look to see if the structure is OK.

The latest firmware CD for this system is part: 9691894880, so ask the dealer to order you one in. It's about £14. This will rule out dodgy firmware. The only thing remaining after this is either a faulty internal SD card (non-compatible, incorrect format, too new etc), or the internal hardware of the RT6 unit itself.

Marc
ggilliland

Post by ggilliland »

I'm not very bright but I'm good at doing what I'm told and I've followed every instruction to the letter so I'm definitely leaning towards the idea the unit itself has gone faulty. You're right about the difference in time between the CD and USB, the CD took the better part of an hour and USB only took about 20 minutes. The card I used to replace the original Micro SD was an 8Gb class 10 Sandisk fresh from the packet. I installed it straight into the RT6 so there should be minimal chance of it being faulty, badly partitioned etc but for £5 it's probably worth buying another just in case. The USB stick was a 2Gb stick freshly formatted as FAT32 and I removed the System Volume Information folder.

I'm hoping that I've embedded the USB screenshot properly but if not can you let me know how to get an image to you.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XsuadgTztJKnSbWP7

Again thanks for your patience and help
Gary