Covid.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Covid.

Post by daviemck2006 »

On sunday last week I went to Aberdeen to pick up a friend who lives around the corner from me. She had been in Aberdeen for 2 days. On Monday she messaged me saying she had a temperature, a tickly throat, no energy. She had that for a couple of days and by Wednesday was ok, no symptoms at all. She had also lost her appetite. On Thursday morning I woke up with a stinking headache, a bit of a temperature but not really much, absolutely no energy, and not wanting to eat. My daughter dropped off lateral flow tests and I did one about noon thursday. This was clear. I improved as the day went on, but woke friday morning even worse, being cold and shivering as well as hot. Another test done, another negative. I was much better Saturday, just a very light tickle at the back of my throat. Another test, another negative. At this point I decided it was just a cold and nothing to worry about. I was away to go visit daughter and grand kids this afternoon. Daughter said do a test before you come down. Absolutely no symptoms of anything at that point. Disaster! Test proved to be positive! I left it an hour or so and did another. Positive again. It's funny how when I was ill I was negative, now I'm well and positive. I'm feeling absolutely fine. Has anyone here tested positive, and what was your experience of it? I am intending isolating for a while, and take another test in a few days. I have actually not been out the door since Wednesday anyway. It just feels that I had a cold. That's exactly what a cold did to me before all this covid pandemic was here. I'm somewhat reluctant to say I have covid, despite the tests as I have no symptoms now.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Covid.

Post by myglaren »

That's a bugger Davy, after the negative tests.
Never tested, no symptoms and hopefully slid past it.
Very little social interaction other than daughter #1, daughter # 3 and son #2 and infrequent visits to shops, masked, as are the majority of customers.

Daughter #2 and all her family have had it but they live forty miles away and rarely see them.
Baby shower for granddaughter #1 soon may turn the whole thing on it's head.

Wishing you a swift recovery and minimal symptoms.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Yes I have had Covid. On Monday 17th Jan SWMBO and I both felt a bit off colour so tested ourselves. She was strongly positive while I was faintly positive. She had been babysitting on the previous Sat evening at her daughters who had Covid over Xmas but was clear by then. Anyhow we settled down to isolate and retest on Friday 23rd. By the wednesday she felt better while I was beginning to have a diabolical sore throat. That lasted until the Sunday so I didn't bother retesting on the Friday to avoid wasting a test. She however tested negative and again on the saturday so she released herself from isolation amd I confined myself to my bedroom. I went steadily downhill from there, developing flu like sweats and total loss of energy. I spent 3 days in bed before contacting the GP who prescribed anti-biotics and complete rest. A futher 5 days in bed with no appetite, listlessness and mild dizzyness but no sore throat took me to the end of the first course and the GP then prescribed a second much stronger course and further complete rest.
Those tablets had a few restrictions I had not come across before, I had to avoid using any indigestion remedy for 4 hours, 2 hours either side of the daily anti-biotic and I had to avoid any skin exposure to sunlight - unlikely being stuck in bed. Anyhow at the end of that course I did begin to shake off the sweats and coughing. By early Feb I was able to get up and go downstairs and make my first post on here since mid January. From that day on I have slowly improved and I can now go out and drive and take on small jobs. I'd say my lung capacity is back to around 80% of what it was and I am taking things on a day by day basis. In summary I would say I would not wish it on my worst enemy, I had some very dark times during my confinement in bed and am now over 2 stone lighter (no bad thing) and very devoid of stamina. The only positive thing about it was the test result. I did test negative at the end of the first course though I was still pretty ill. I now test myself every Friday or before going out and all negative so far!! The GP requested a chest X-Ray which I had last Thursday and now I am awaiting the results!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Hell, Davie, you've really been through it. Sounds just like a viral attack - particularly the loss of energy. Something similar left me with post-viral M.E. back in '89, and it took many weeks to get full strength back again. Take it easy: the worst thing to do is to push yourself hard. Glad you're mobile again.
Chris
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'm actually feeling fine today, just the merest hint of a sore throat. My daughter dropped of some shopping this morning, she left it on the doorstep so there was no contact. I had a decent sleep. I haven't been in contact with anyone since I picked up my chum in Aberdeen last week. I've not done a test today, I've no intention of going out, except for into the garden to get some fresh air. I'm quite convinced that my chum picked it up in Anerdeen last weekend, then, as she is the generous type, gave it to me! I will not go out now until I get two negative tests two days running. Although I'm not unwell with it I would hate to be responsible for passing it on to anyone else who could be much more worse affected by it. And I'm also aware that although I have no real symptoms as I type right now, that means nothing and I could get worse at any time. It is, as they say, in the lap of the gods.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

An unusual concoction I have come up with is peppermint tea with a teaspoon of cough linctus (black treacle based seems to work best for me) and a teaspoon of honey. If you can stand it (I like it, but my Mum was NOT impressed!) it should, at the very least, help sooth your throat. If you have a Poundland near you they do a decent cough linctus (made by Bells, with an orange and blue label, NOT the orange and white label), and Aldi do peppermint tea at a price that does not take the mickey.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 15:31 An unusual concoction I have come up with is peppermint tea with a teaspoon of cough linctus (black treacle based seems to work best for me) and a teaspoon of honey. If you can stand it (I like it, but my Mum was NOT impressed!) it should, at the very least, help sooth your throat. If you have a Poundland near you they do a decent cough linctus (made by Bells, with an orange and blue label, NOT the orange and white label), and Aldi do peppermint tea at a price that does not take the mickey.
My throat isn't sore enough to take anything for it. It's more like an inconvenience rather than a problem.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

I tested positive yesterday lunchtime, spent the full pandemic working and woke yesterday morning feeling like i had been hit by a bus. Felt fine Sunday, went to bed ok, Monday morning sore throat, sat on the couch thinking what is going on, short of breathe and i had only walked down the stairs to put the kettle on.
Total lack of energy, slept in 2- 2.5 hrs bursts last night coughing like never before. This morning moved the tumble dryer out to check burnt plug and socket to check for causes, ordered new power cable and double socket, put tumble dryer under unit and went to bed for a couple of hours totally exhausted.
I am double jabbed and boosted, would not wish this on anyone totally wierd feelings

Colin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Most unfortunate, and it looks like more will be affected now.

I am having trouble with my washing machine and tumble dryer. Perhaps a symptom.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

It's weird. The last two days i have had absolutely no symptoms of any illness at all. I did a test this afternoon, still says positive. I'm feeling as good as I can be given my other medical issues, and sleeping better than I have done for a long time. I have very rarely worn a mask, also due to other issues, and I have not been jabbed for covid, and have not been jabbed for flu for 4 years. The reason I have declined jabs are due to me having, two years running, a bad reaction to the flu jab making me feel like I was dying for over a week. Im not an anti vaxxer, each to their own, I just dont want to take the chance of an adverse reaction to them. Yet, here I am nearly 2 years into this pandemic testing positive for this disease and it's been like I had a cold for 2 days. My friend who I believe I got it from has been the same as me. A cold for a couple days with a slight sore throat a further two days, she is also not vaxxed. It has made me wonder what the point of masks and jabs. That's just my own personal thoughts. I am quite aware that a lot of people have had it bad and been seriously unwell and died. To me it's just a weird illness that doesn't make sense to me. Im just glad that in my case it has been nothing to worry about, but I really do feel for those that have been badly affected.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Just watching Kate Garraway: Caring for Derek as I type this. It's a hard watch and shows how devastating it can be for those that are lucky enough to survive Covid but unlucky enough to be left with Long Covid. That's a good enough reason to wear masks for me.

It's a personal worry for me as well. Some people on here may know that I had Lymphoma three years ago. What you won't know is that it may be back. I've been in hospital for samples to be taken from swellings in the Lymph nodes in my armpit. When the results come through and assuming I'll need Chemo I'm going to have a problem worse than last time.

Three years ago there was no Covid. My Chemo was given in three week cycles and the middle week is called the danger week because that's when the immune system is knocked to the floor and I stayed in the house and kept away from people. The other two weeks I would go about normally.

But it's going to different now. If I'm having Chemo and I catch Covid during the danger week I guess it'll probably be lethal. But what will happen in the other two weeks. specifically if catch it just as I'm about to have the Chemo would they even let me in to the outpatient ward to have the Chemo? And how important is it to have the Chemo on a vey regular three week basis? I can almost see me having to shield for the entire time I'm having Chemo which could be 3 weeks x 6 cycles = 18 weeks!

Anyway, I'm at home now and waiting for the results.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Paul-R wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 10:49 Anyway, I'm at home now and waiting for the results.
I hope that any treatment you need works well without complications for you.

I'm very aware that covid has vastly different effects on different people. A cousin of mine died as a result of it. I am lucky that it has had no bad effects on myself. I cant understand the whole thing. Most folk that I know who had it have been the lucky ones like myself, a couple of people hospitalised, one making a full recovery, and my cousin who died. There seems to be no reason why either way.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Son in law had it very bad.
Daughter mild.
Granddaughter, who is pregnant, very mild.
Grandson quite ill but he hadn't had his jab.

I had avoided the 'flu jab as several people I worked with were quite ill with it.
When I did get it late last year there were no effects whatsoever, same with the three Covid jabs.
Rest of the family only very mildly affected by the jabs.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Paul-R wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 10:49 ...................That's a good enough reason to wear masks for me.

It's a personal worry for me as well. .....................
Sorry to read that Paul as one in the know :( , lets hope it works out well for you. Should you need a driver to get you down to your house in France, I'm only a PM away. Good luck!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Thanks Mick. I don't have a problem with energy levels ATM but I think my doctors would strongly caution against travelling for the near future.

Anyway, this is turning the thread OT.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​