Energy Matters Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Energy Matters Global and Domestic

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Its happening in the UK, small scale but Vehicle to Grid and Grid to Vehicle is alive and working in Norfolk and Essex.
ev.energy Receives Grant from Innovate UK to Scale the UK's first Virtual Power Plant Using Only Electric Vehicles

On 1st December 2021, ev.energy’s partner, UK Power Networks, the electricity distribution network for London, the South East, and East of England, issued its first commercial dispatch instructions for ev.energy to reduce electricity demand. ev.energy’s Virtual Power Plant automatically responded to these signals by pausing electric vehicle charging in areas of Norfolk and Essex where the grid was congested. Between 5 pm and 6:30 pm, power consumption from EV charging was reduced by 90% compared to the unmanaged baseline, alleviating strain on the grid.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Hats off to the community effort to actually build a hydro-electric scheme in Reading and to randomly feature on Geograph picture of the Day .

https://readinghydro.org/
geograph-7093125-by-Chris-Wood (1).jpg
Plenty hurdles to overcome from planning to a serious civil engineering job, and raising the finance

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I used to go fishing there!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The 'raising the finance' part interests me, from where and who pays it back?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 10:29 The 'raising the finance' part interests me, from where and who pays it back?
Have a dig around Gibbo see if you can find out, my guess would be a considerable grant getting exercise. There is plenty on the project to be found both on youtube and their website. It does seem like a major civil engineering thing for a bunch of community activists, so thats why I took off my metaphorical hat to them for making it happen.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Bare bones from a BBC article
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... e-58187804
The £1.15m scheme - funded mostly by individuals who live in Reading - will sell electricity to Thames Lido.

Reading Hydro CBS said it hoped the project would be a visible working model of how renewable energy can be produced within the town centre.

The scheme hopes to generate 320MWh of power each year - equivalent to the energy needed to supply 90 homes. Any excess electricity will be sold to the National Grid.

The income from selling electricity will be used to maintain the scheme and gradually repay shareholders.

As a community benefit society, any surplus will be used to offer grants to local carbon-cutting and sustainability projects, and the scheme will eventually become a community asset after it pays back its investors.

Reading Hydro added the turbines would not harm fish, and an additional pass would help fish and eels move up the river.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 10:29 The 'raising the finance' part interests me, from where and who pays it back?
Reading Hydro launched its main share offer in December 2019 to raise the money to build the scheme, and further two offers in August 2020 and March 2021. Each was a huge success, with 750 local people and groups investing a total of £1.3 million in the scheme. It is now operational and providing renewable electricity to Thames Lido, a nearby swimming baths and restaurant. Any surplus electricity is sold to the grid...

...The scheme won’t just help the planet and run Thames Lido’s pool and restaurant though, it is also set to make investors happy with anticipated returns of around 2% per year, growing to around 4% per year by year five. The financial returns are significantly better than the average savings account and come with the priceless knowledge that every pound supports the local community and is helping to create clean, green electricity.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

and on community hydro day off we go to Rumbling Bridge up in Perthshire Scotland. Again plenty local folk prepared to invest in the scheme, 664 members each chipping in over £250 each.

https://rumblingbridgehydro.coop/

Applecross too with a nice name for their project

http://www.applecrosshydro.scot/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 11:37 How soon before someone comes up with a "Box" between car and home, which could use the car to store the solar power, either for use in the home or to charge the car for normal use. :?: With out the need for an additional home powerwall or whatever. Maybe its happened already.
Looks like its happened Now!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 24 Feb 2022, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

A wind turbine doesn't have to have three blades. Netherlands-based Seawind has developed proprietary two-bladed floating wind turbines integrated with a unique concrete floating structure suitable for installation in all seas, including cyclonic regions and ultra-deep waters. https://seawindtechnology.com/
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

At this moment in time, you may think that one of the growth industries would be the manufacture and sale, and development of solar panels. So why are LG Electronics the South Korean Giant getting out of the business :?:

The simple reason is, if the report is correct, they can't generate enough profit from them, with the inference assumed by the author that "Competition with Chinese rivals’ lower prices has made it hard for LG to compete."

LG Electronics is going to stop manufacturing solar panels – here’s why

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Every time I see "At this moment in time." I think Harold Wilson, he invented that phrase trying to make 'now' sound more important. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I would have blamed that on the Americans.
NewcastleFalcon

Plenty of investment interest in the USA's recent offshore wind energy auction for more than 488,000 acres in the New York Bight. It’s now complete, and the auction achieved $4.37 billion in high bids. It’s a huge leap forward for the fledgling US offshore wind industry.

The usual suspects were part of the scramble for the leases.
US offshore wind auction for NY Bight is final, attracts a record $4.37B in bids [Update]

Shell, BP, and Equinor, alone or through joint ventures, are pre-qualified to bid, as are RWE, SSE Renewables, Ocean Winds, and Iberdrola’s Avangrid Renewables, among others. According to a spokesperson from Ørsted, the offshore wind giant is also an eligible bidder, but through a company under a different name – which the developer is keeping a secret until after the auction is completed.
The winners are largely "European energy heavyweights", wrapped up in these companies

Bight Wind Holdings LLC, Atlantic Shores Offshore Wind Bight LLC, Attentive Energy LLC, OW Ocean Winds East LLC, Invenergy Wind Offshore LLC and Mid-Atlantic Offshore Wind LLC

Atlantic Shores ( EDF Renewables Inc. and Shell Plc);
Bight Wind Holdings (RWE AG and National Grid Plc)
Mid-Atlantic Offshore Wind (Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners K/S );
Ocean Winds East (EDP Renewables, Engie SA and Gl)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 10:19 Plenty of investment interest in the USA's recent offshore wind energy auction for more than 488,000 acres in the New York Bight. It’s now complete, and the auction achieved $4.37 billion in high bids. It’s a huge leap forward for the fledgling US offshore wind industry.
Regards Neil
Possibly a huge leap forward for the US in terms of energy production but a sad sad day for cruisers. Having been on a few cruises around the world I discovered that the single most dreamed of experience for the cruising fraternity is to stand on the foredeck of a Cunard liner bound for New York looking at the approaching horizon for the first glimpse of the Statue of Liberty. That spectacle will be lost forever when the bight becomes engulfed in wind turbines!! :cry:
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!