fuel consumption

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

IanD
My Cars:

Post by IanD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cheesesliceking</i>

you gave up a Cosworth for a ZX.. are you insane??[:p]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Slightly yes [;)] But that's not the reason I gave up the Cossie scene (had a couple of different ones in various states of tune for the past 4 years). The reason for the change was simple......to get on the property ladder ASAP as I had been waiting on prices coming down but it just looks like thats not gonna happen & with interest rates set to rise further it needed drastic measures!! [:(] I'll be back in something quick again once I get sorted but will probably keep the Volcane as a second car as I love it now [:D]
IanAird
My Cars:

Post by IanAird »

MPG is not too hard to measure accurately - fill the fuel tank to brim full - CAREFULLY - reset the odometer to zero - pay for the fuel - drive away!
At ANY time thereafter you can do an mpg check - go to a fuel station, fill the fuel tank to brim full - CAREFULLY AGAIN - and this time Note the amount of fuel in litres or gallons to brim the tank - then note the odometer mileage reading BEFORE you reset it to zero.
If buying in gallons, UK or USA, then the mileage divided by gallons = miles per gallon.
If buying in Litres, Mileage divided by litres = mile per litre.
To convert to miles per UK gallon simply multiply the miles per litre by 4.54609 as there are about 4.54609 litres to the UK gallon.
If you are in the USA, a US gallon is only about 3.79 litres, so multiply the miles per litre figure by 3.79 to get miles to the US gallon.
OK? [:)]
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

So you thought this one was going to die, Mark? You seem to have struck the Mother Lode! I tend to agree with your comments from 18 months ago about the reliability of the XM 2.0 Auto. I had two of them (2.0i and 2.0 SEi) and had lots of problems with ignition (the little ignition module on the back of the engine overheating), suspension sticking in Sports mode on the i, and coolant problems on the SEi. They both gave 26 to 28 mpg in normal use and 21 mpg when towing a caravan. Despite their problems there was something about them and after a sojourn with a 406 I returned to the XM fold with my V reg V6 auto Exclusive, this has averaged 24.5 mpg over the past two years, including 19-21 mpg when towing. However, there was an occasion last year when in Gosport I discovered a split in the sidewall of a rear tyre, Sunday evening and over 200 miles from home. I crept home sticking religiously to the speed limits (70 up the M3, M45, A1, A15 and A16. At the end of it all - 32.2 mpg! Other cars past and present, GS and GSX 30 mpg, GSA 32 mpg, BX 16TRS 34 mpg and my wife's current ZX 1.9D auto which returns no better than 40 mpg. Be lucky.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

I forgot to mention that in reference to the XM's 80 litre fuel tank, there were a couple of occasions last year when I went into the local Esso station with at least a gallon in the tank (low fuel light not on) and succeeded in putting more than 80 litres in. Being somewhat miffed, I reported the fact to the local Trading Standards Office. They reported back that the pump in question was accurate to within 0.1% so it looks as if the plastic tank on XMs has elastic properties!
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the local Trading Standards Office. They reported back that the pump in question was accurate to within 0.1%
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So why are some of us trying to measure consumption to 0.01% judging by some of the posts on this and the other fuel thread?
If you have a car for a long while, the simple answer to the fill level problem is to put nozzle right in, fill till it clicks then fill to the next WHOLE litre. Do calculations based on this (I still use a freebie given away by Car Mechanics in the early nineties!) and you will be quite accurate enough to notice any CHANGES quickly- and after all this is what really matters.