Trivia Investigation Team

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Trivia Investigation Team

Post by mickthemaverick »

Been racking my memory about that film, I know the book much better! :-D As I remember Bond goes to a belly dancing club and retrieves a gold bullet from the dancer's belly in her dressing room. The room is invaded and a fight breaks out, that may have been where he used the Brut. If not a bit further in he visits a gunsmith called Lascar or similar which does end in another scuffle. Then there is the audience at the circus, not likely, the car chase with the texan sheriff, definitely not and finally the visit to Scaramanga's island which did not have the brut. But the very last scene with his fight in the Junk's saloon with the dwarf may be a candidate!! Am I warm at all? :-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 14 Jan 2022, 23:01, edited 2 times in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 22:39 Been racking my memory about that film, I know the bookmuch better! :-D As I remember Bond goes to a belly dancing club and retrieves a gold bullet from the dancer's belly in her dressing room. The room is invaded amd a fight breaks out, that may have been where he used the Brut.
That is the exact scene Mick, I put a small screenshot featuring the Brut deodorant can in my previous post.

here's a link to the scene from a vid currently up on youtube 1.47 in starts the relevant bit

Brut 33

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I'm on the phone now so no research capability. If I remember correctly Bond also uses Brut aftershave to create a flamethrower to kill a snake in Live and Let Die. Perhaps you could check that out? :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 23:13 I'm on the phone now so no research capability. If I remember correctly Bond also uses Brut aftershave to create a flamethrower to kill a snake in Live and Let Die. Perhaps you could check that out? :-D
Its an aerosol can but it is'nt Brut :-D .
https://youtu.be/acGr3E_gXew?t=122
https://youtu.be/acGr3E_gXew?t=122
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 09:41
mickthemaverick wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 23:13 I'm on the phone now so no research capability. If I remember correctly Bond also uses Brut aftershave to create a flamethrower to kill a snake in Live and Let Die. Perhaps you could check that out? :-D
Its an aerosol can but it is'nt Brut :-D .

Regards Neil
I must have been thinking of brutal :-D
NewcastleFalcon

I expect this where's this then will take some finding, anything less than a few days would be tremendous work.

from here https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 48#p707248 where there are over 100 pictures in the full details link, but mostly of the car, not the interesting background :-D

What have we got....maybe a flint "Ha-ha", (on second viewing I think its just a gravel path!) and a fancy gate-house in red-ish stone.
wheresthisthen?
wheresthisthen?
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Wild guess, Florence Nightingales house?
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 11:56 Wild guess, Florence Nightingales house?
I didn't' know where it was until 2 minutes ago, so I can now say its not Embley Park, Hampshire. Not much of a clue, but further north than that.
temp3.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This for those in the know, is a very good clue to the location this one is less than 3 miles away.
Pub name obscured but you can easily look up the reference on geograph on the stamped image.
Pub name obscured but you can easily look up the reference on geograph on the stamped image.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well since your initial post I have been methodically working my way out from the centre of Hull which is where the dealer who supplied most of the parts is located. As you know I don't have the luxury of google earth or even google maps but I think I have narrowed it down to the Caravan Park at Burton Constable? :?:
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 14:51 Well since your initial post I have been methodically working my way out from the centre of Hull which is where the dealer who supplied most of the parts is located. As you know I don't have the luxury of google earth or even google maps but I think I have narrowed it down to the Caravan Park at Burton Constable? :?:
Correct Mick. The White Telephone Box as I'm sure you know was due to the maverick Kingston Communications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCOM_Group

I too homed in on the Stratstone invoices from Hull, and hit on Burton Constable Hall surprisingly rapidly, and subsequently Burton Constable Holiday Park and arboretum nearby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burton_Constable_Hall
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Rev ... nglan.html

One strange thing elsewhere in Yorkshire, near Leyburn in North Yorkshire is Constable Burton, which also has a Hall. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constable_Burton_Hall which has its own Caravan Park. Bit like Brettenham Suffolk and Brettenham Norfolk from the other day.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

South East Northumberland is much more urban than the rest of the County, concentrated in the former major mining settlements. Just round the corner from the MOT testing Centre I had a wander into the woods, at the former Hannah Colliery now a nature reserve.

There is a link with this in the unusual Northumberland placename but as of now I'm not sure why. My trivia interest has been perked...

Bombardment of Bomarsund
Drawn by Edwin T. Dolby (1838–1900).Lithograph by William Simpson (1823–1899)., Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
DSC01231.JPG
DSC01230.JPG
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 09:54
Bombardment of Bomarsund
Drawn by Edwin T. Dolby (1838–1900).Lithograph by William Simpson (1823–1899)., Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
Drawn by Edwin Thomas Dolby - no relation to this Thomas Dolby....
Thomas Dolby Golden Age - own work
Thomas Dolby Golden Age - own work
...... who was given the name 'Dolby' by a friend in his very early musical adventures as he was always experimenting with electronic audio equipment. He had a run in with Ray Dolby - the inventor of the 'Dolby Noise Reduction System' - who has accused him of trying to trade off his name. It came to nought as at the last minute as Ray made some unnecessary remarks towards Thomas which caused the negotiations to end. Since then Thomas has decided not to enter into the market of noise reduction systems :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

There is some interesting info to be found here. :)

I think the last phrase in the background may have been what triggered your link Neil! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 10:42 There is some interesting info to be found here. :)

I think the last phrase in the background may have been what triggered your link Neil! :-D
Thanks Mick. Indeed I didnt know the link. Interesting Committee Meeting I would have thought, and a few "divvint be sae daft man" from some of the Committee members as Bomarsund was put forward as a suggestion.

On the Dolby front, "Dolby's Sketches in the Baltic." used elsewhere on Wiki would translate in local language as Dolby enjoying drawing outdoors in the Winter. "Baltic" is a well used word. as in "Its Baltic", to describe freezing cold weather.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey