Energy Matters Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Energy Matters Global and Domestic

Post by bobins »

I posted this last year over on the 'Heat Pumps' thread.
bobins wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 13:21 It's interesting, or possibly deadly dull !, to reflect on the brouhaha over the price per MW/h that the government struck with EDF over the Hinkley C nuclear plant electricity production. The deal was struck at £92MW/h. Current 'forward delivery' prices in the UK are hovering around £80 MW/h, with 'day ahead' prices over £100 MW/h. Perhaps those negotiators knew better than most the general direction of travel for wholesale electricity prices :-k
This is the recent situation for forward delivery prices......
Ofgem electricity prices
Ofgem electricity prices
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/energy-data-an ... indicators
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The Contract for Difference Price of £92.5/MWh was at 2012 prices. It will be adjusted for inflation when the first MWh emerges from Hinkley which still hasnt happened. Not sure which Index will be used, probably find-outable but who knows what deals will be done to make sure that EDF can operate it at a profit when the time comes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... ey-point-c

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Hinkley CFD - gov.uk
Hinkley CFD - gov.uk
Unless I'm reading this upside down, if the 'market rate' for electricity is actually higher than the Strike Price (£92.50 MW/H adjusted figure) then the owners of Hinkley will pay back the difference between the Strike Price and the market rate :-k
NewcastleFalcon

Open invitation for a clearer interpretation of CfD's. but this was my little delve a few pages back. The Strike Price is adjusted for inflation to the point at which the supply of electricity comes on stream, and then that updated strike price for 15 years (wind) forms the basis of payments under the contract, and if the market reference price is higher than the strike price, the generator makes payments to the LCCC and vice versa.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 11:47 Complicated business these Contracts for Difference. SSE report the strike price for their involvement in Dogger Bank A, B as at September 2019
https://www.sserenewables.com/news-and- ... 023%2F2024

Dogger Bank Wind Farms, CfDs for 3,600MW (SSE share 50%) – located off the North East coast of England, this is a joint venture (JV) with Equinor in which SSE Renewables has a 50% stake. The following Dogger Bank Wind Farms projects have been awarded a CfD:
Dogger Bank Creyke Beck A has been awarded a CfD for 1,200MW at a strike price of £39.65/MWh for delivery in 2023/2024

Dogger Bank Creyke Beck B has been awarded a CfD for 1,200MW at a strike price of £41.61/MWh for delivery in 2024/2025

Dogger Bank Teesside A has been awarded a CfD for 1,200MW at a strike price of £41.61/MWh for delivery in 2024/2025
The CFD contracts are managed by the Low Carbon Contracts Company If the Market Reference Price specified in the contract for Electricity exceeds the strike price, the Generators pay the LCCC the difference, and vice versa.

If I read it right, the generators for on-stream wind farms will be in a phase of paying the LCCC under the CFD contracts, as current market prices as calculated by EMR Settlement Limited (EMR=Electricity Market Reform) for the baseload market reference price (BMRP), and intermittent market reference price (IMRP) are in excess of original strike prices.

No shortage of investors, effectively a 15 year commitment of guarantee on price for the output of the developments and competition in the bidding process for the contracts. No development risk taken with a direct State shareholding being taken in any of the developments, but also no reward of profits should the long term revenues of the schemes outside the 15 year CFD prove substantial.

Not Dave this time, but a horse's mouth Government information explanation...don't expect it to be too enlightening.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Every little helps,
Whether our Li-ion big scale batteries end up being the winner in grid storage expansion, time will tell. Plenty possible competing alternatives. Many covered in the pages of the thread.

Here's another one

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

You're gonna need a bigger guage
temp2.png
Even windier today, and Storm Malik on its way, I would hope the windfarms can cope with 80mph winds without having to shut down the rotors 'cause there is too much wind :-D .

Well all I've come up with first up, is this from the USA referring to tropical storms and hurricanes, which seems to suggest 55mph as the cut-off point for "feathering of the blades" and general shut down.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/articles/ho ... ere-storms

Better researched info always welcome :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Brief head over to Nuclear and Sizewell C.
In the news today £100m to grease the wheels of investment, but a different funding model from Hinkley Point C.

Government readies Sizewell C nuclear project for future investment
Plans to build a new nuclear power plant in the UK have been backed by £100 million of government funding

Contracts for Difference ditched, in favour of a few quid extra on consumers bills over the construction phase under what is known as the RAB (Regulated Asset Base) model.

Future funding for nuclear plants An explanation of the Regulated Asset Base (RAB) model option.

Good luck in interpreting that.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

What a difference a (few) day makes. The gas has been turned down to simmer, the coal fire's only down to embers, they're allowing the biomass burners to cool down a bit, we're exporting electricity left, right, and centre, and it's getting windy out there.... and our clocks are running a little fast :lol:
Saturday's energy - Gridwatch
Saturday's energy - Gridwatch
NewcastleFalcon

Malik for now appears to have subsided but it was fearsome when it was going, trees down, roads blocked and fences down all over Northumberland and Durham, and what happens when it gets very windy, the electricity goes off :-D

It went off about 8am ish this morning, They gave us 10.15 a.m. Sunday as likely reconnection, so what a joy when it came back on again tonight, just now.

Reduced demand on the grid on the guages from this part of the world today 29th January 2022.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Energy is likely to be "topic of the day" on the news. Energy price cap news, and mitigation proposals.
Price Cap up by £693 to £1971.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Tesco are pretty active and part of a wider group of large commercial fleets committed to electrification
viewtopic.php?p=699596#p699596
Their rivals may be barking up the wrong tree. Maybe they don't realise burning natural gas in a combustion engine is a cause of carbon dioxide emissions.
Asda, Sainsbury's and Aldi have said they were trialling natural gas-powered lorries which they said would cut emissions by up to 90% compared to diesel.
Regards Neil

PS I now see what ASDA et al are trialling now...a matter for the e-fuel, synthetic fuel, bio-fuel still alive? thread.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Fusion at last!

Almost

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60312633

I'm going for the conversion, just need the flux capacitor and the dilithium crystals.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

They interviewed a bod about it on Radio 4 at lunchtime - apparently reliable power from fusion is now about 30 years away.... which makes a change from the 20 years away.... or 25 years away that has been the case for the last good few decades :lol:
NewcastleFalcon

Culham and its Fusion Energy got a bit of an airing in the Trivia Investigation Team's deliberations. Not guaranteed to be entertainment for all but feel free to have a peek!

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 19#p700219

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey