RT6 to NAC (Connected NAV) Upgrade

This is the Connected NAV system.
Main Features: It is a fully integrated Telematics System featuring CarPlay, Android Auto, Real Time Services, Voice Commands, High-Res Display, 3D Navigation, Bluetooth Hands Free & USB. 2 versions of the system are available NAC (Navigation Audio Connectée) and RCC (Radio Couleur Connectée) or Connected Colour Radio, which does not have the Integrated Navigation or Live Services.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

SirLouen
My Cars: Peugeot 508 SW 2011

Re: RT6 to NAC (Connected NAV) Upgrade

Post by SirLouen »

I don't really care about CD... I have never used a single CD in my car.

For music what I've used the most is the BT streaming with my phone, so I cannot care about losing it.

What I don't like much, is having to rely on used car parts, specially the touchscreen. I'm going to look for a new screen to round my whole bundle. I don't care about the NAC part although

Also I read from a guy that bought one telecoding credit from Diagbox to do this config (around $70)

In spanish, and he doesn't explain that process either.
https://antoniocarrascoblog.wordpress.c ... -seguidor/

First lets see if I dismount my car to check cables and that (although I've seen some videos like the previous one, and doesn't feel too difficult) and see if I find a brand new screen (maybe I may ask in my retailer, although I'm afraid it may cost $500 or more, I'm not willing to pay more than $300 for just this s**t 7' screen)

Found this which has been extremely updated (for 1 year, until only one month away)
https://www.forum-peugeot.com/Forum/thr ... no.121767/
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Forget the telecoding credits - it won't work - simply because their systems are designed to telecode via servers based on the VIN number and you are using another donor unit that was never on your vehicle so it won't work. If you are going to go for the conversion, everything you need is in Mac's guide above. If you want to keep it simple and have one seller to help and deal with any issues, then I suggest you consider getting the compete bundle from the same seller. If you are concerned about the touchscreen, just ask about the condition or for pictures beforehand.

Secondly, why on earth would you want to get an Arduino kit yourself just for this? If you don't understand anything about the telecoding process or the potential risks, then I strongly suggest you save time, money and additional learning by getting the seller to code it with all your vehicle equipment and options for you as part of the package. Job done - you just then have to fit it all.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
SirLouen

Post by SirLouen »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 11:17 Secondly, why on earth would you want to get an Arduino kit yourself just for this? If you don't understand anything about the telecoding process or the potential risks, then I strongly suggest you save time, money and additional learning by getting the seller to code it with all your vehicle equipment and options for you as part of the package. Job done - you just then have to fit it all.
I've found a ton of NAC in car scrapers. Although I cannot find NAC in ebay for my specific model (peugeot 508). Maybe I can contact these sellers, to see if they can code it to any model and VIN. Most I've seen are around 308/3008.

Mac has proposed me a guy I may also contact for more info.

Let's see if this invention doesn't cost me more than a new car :lol:
SirLouen

Post by SirLouen »

After good research, I've found that is 100% impossible to find a budget screen unless it comes from a scrapped car. Can't believe this s**t 7' screen is so expensive in a new condition.
Maybe I will go to the peugeot shop to see if they can sell me one but have to find which is the local reference in my country first.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You will find that many parts are bespoke - specific to the head units and vehicles they are made for. These are not made or available from other manufacturers - it's like asking why the engines aren't made by an after-market seller.... too expensive to reproduce for the small numbers that will be required, so not economically viable to do so - and on top of that you have patents.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
SirLouen

Post by SirLouen »

Yes, I was thinking exactly on this. I think the after-market have found a perfect idea, instead of having to adapt each single screen and each single product, they just adapted the plastic made parts from a couple of models, and use a single piece big screen to fit them all like this

I don't like though, that a screen pops out of the dashboard, because, it looks TOO "pretty" to possible robbers (specially knowing, that my car always sleep in the street). Even if it was "detachable" (not sure, but unlikely), it would be very unconvenient. This is why I was more focused on the NAC conversion
MacSlavko
My Cars: DS5 2.0 BlueHDi

Post by MacSlavko »

Forget about buying a generic new screen that can work with NAC (very slim chances). And buying part by part is only advised for those who know the whole process, which part goes with which other one and so on...

As @GiveMeABreake suggests, the best option is to look up for the complete set from one seller, usually on eBay.
Contact also (or especially) those who have already coded it to any PSA car (may not be your model). Means that they can telecode it for your P508 as well (your VIN and speciffic equipment options).

NAC is a great factory head unit and your car will feel like 5+ years newer, once you fit it!
Tomas1
My Cars: Peugeot 308 SW

Post by Tomas1 »

Replacement is also possible at RNEG MyWay with folding display ?
I think the main problem is the size and the system of attaching the displays.
MacSlavko

Post by MacSlavko »

Which year is that 308 from?
Generally, it's only possible if in a certain car was factrory fitted newer navigation (ie. in 508 was RT6 and later models were equipped with NAC, same as DS5 and alike).
If that isn't the case with your car then it isn't possible, due to the lack of configuration file needed...
It's only possible in newer 308 versions (if facelift models had touchscreen navigation).
Tomas1
My Cars: Peugeot 308 SW

Post by Tomas1 »

It is a 308 sw since 2012.
Mechanically I don't know if the displays have the same dimensions or the same attachment points.
MacSlavko

Post by MacSlavko »

Probably not possible for 2012 version (only the T9, 2013 onwards).
It is mainly done in 308 with a SMEG head unit. Nac became standard in 2017 so that's why you can retro fit it to earlier T9 models. It is also done in 508 with RT6 or SMEG head unit.
Also, even if you were able to fit it in yours, the folding display woud be quite far to reach for a touchscreen...
angeloffate
My Cars: 1012 508 gt sw

Post by angeloffate »

Hi everybody!

Thank you for this detailed tutorial! really Awesome! I have a 2012 508 GT SW and planning to do the NAC conversion from my rt6.
I have only a few question in my head remained unanswered.
1. Will my HUD work with the NAC units navigation? SO will it display directions for my and all the data that it does with RT6?
2. Can the navigation software be updated for free by myself with the new maps?
3. Is there any way to keep the middle console knob and buttons working? I like it and don’t want to loose it. Much more comfortable, safe and convenient to use those, than to poke the display with my fingers while driving.
4. Is it possible to wire a rearview camera or a 360camera system to the nac head unit? If yes how?

I would really appreciate if you could answer these.
MacSlavko

Post by MacSlavko »

1: Yes, your HUD will work normally as now, displaying everything as with RT6, but make sure the seller includes that into telecoding,

2: Yes. With NAC you get free updates for life both for software and for the maps. Make sure you get the donor car's VIN together with your NAC as those updates are VIN-related (as well as Connected Services),

3: No way to keep the central knob functionality (to the best of my knowledge). Unless there's some kind of CAN-BUS adapter that I don't know of, the central media knob becomes obsolete and it is removed from ie. P508 RXH factory fitted with NAC, as those functions are now transferred to the touchscreen. Also the Rew and FFwd buttons on the existing RT6 panel become inactive as those commands are now on the touchscreen. Your controls on the steering wheel will work normaly (except for those two buttons, if present on steering wheel or on a separate control stalk - I don't know how it's done on P508...),

4. Yes if you have original reverse camera; it will work normally with NAC (no need to change it). If you don't have one, you can add original one (or newer 360 one), but it needs wiring and obviously telecoding. You can phisically add it at some later point, but make sure the seller telecodes the NAC for that option too,

If you browse the eBay for "NAC" "SMEG to NAC" or "NAC Conversion Kit" you'll notice most of the sellers include a note about buyer providing them their car's VIN after the sale so they can telecode the head unit for the new vehicle and ship it Plug&Play ready. That is important as you can't do it youself (needs special Arduino tool and configuration file). In most cases even PSA dealership garages can't do it or will not do it as it's something they aren't authorised to perform.
That telecoding includes changing the VIN that NAC is associated with (so you don't get those annoying BEEPS every second) and much more. The seller will need information on your car's VIN, engine, gearbox, standard and additional equipment so he can include all that in telecoding process. Once you get your NAC prepared that way for your vehicle, it is a Plug&Play job realy...

PS: probably you will loose the CD player source as RT6 has a built-in CD reader and onece you remove RT6 it is gone as well, whilst SMEG and NAC head units have it as a separate device. But you'll get two USB inputs: one for Apple CarPlay or AndroidAuto, and another for Mp3 music on your USB pen drive. Make sure you choose cable adapters with two USB ports for this to work (see photos on page 1 of this thread)...
angeloffate
My Cars: 1012 508 gt sw

Post by angeloffate »

Thank you!

So only the factory camera will work? Or I can attach any third party camera? I am just asking cause I have installed many head units but with those there was a socket for the camera and you could just plug in any camera with the same connection. Like the yellow one on the images you have posted of the conversion harness.

About the central conrtol, the idea was that maybe we could somehow teach some functions for the buttons. But then it does not seems possible :(
MacSlavko

Post by MacSlavko »

Probably any third party camera would also work when attached to the yellow plug in adapter cables harness. I suppos that display shows reverse camera footage as soon as it gets video signal, and reverts back to radio or navigation screen onc the video signal is gone (you're neot in reverse gear naymore)...
I haven't tested this as I used factory fitted camera that came with the car, but my gues is that any propperly installed camera would work as well.

As for "teaching the buttons" and retaining some of the controls on the central knob; I think NAC is totally unaware of that knob being present. In order to change that, one would need to alter configuration file for Arduino, which is not something any seller is eager to do...