Car News-Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Car News-Global and Domestic

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Almost forgot "Stellantis-Vauxhall" with their versions of the above...

Vauxhall cuts pricing of Combo-e Life and Vivaro-e Life Combi models

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

News about NIO

NIO expands US headquarters as North American launch begins to feel more and more likely

The usual set of polarised comments followed.
"Wait, shouldn't we force NIO to enter into a joint venture with an American company before we allow NIO to enter the U.S market?"

"Tesla isn't in a joint venture with anybody in China, nor is there any requirement for any auto company whether ICE or EV to be in a JV to enter the Chinese market this year. Besides, NIO is a bunch of american shareholders with some factories in china, just like Apple, GM, and some other USA companies.
IN the global world of investments, could well be true but following their offering on the New York Stock Market the top 3 NIO shareholders were
https://www.investopedia.com/news/top-3 ... %20Oct.%20
William Li the founder and CEO of the electric vehicle start-up, as its biggest shareholder owning 148.6 million shares or a 14.5% stake immediately after the offering.

Tencent Holdings Ltd. held 137.2 million shares immediately after the offering, which translates to a 13.4% stake.

Baillie Gifford In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Oct. 9, Baillie Gifford, the second-largest holder of Tesla stock after Elon Musk, confirmed that it had acquired an 11.4% stake in NIO, bringing the total number of shares it owns to 85.3 million.
Surprising or not :?: An asset management/investment firm with a good old fashioned name Baillie Gifford, operating out of Auld Reekie since 1908 and founded by Colonel Augustus Baillie and the Carlyle Gifford, "own" a significant stake in both TESLA and NIO. So Chinese NIO are actually 11.4% UK Owned (on behalf of their clients who could come from anywhere in the world.)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, if this article is true, battery range may no longer be an issue;

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technol ... d=msedgntp
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 13:57 Well, if this article is true, battery range may no longer be an issue;

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technol ... d=msedgntp
The Tesla Centric press greeted it with "Healthy Scepticism". ONE apparently squeezed in for the stunt 200kWh of battery capacity. That translates into weight and cost. Drive it carefully enough with regen and you'll hit those sort of range values.

Bit more reading and as always bonus extra content from the 102 comments on the article reflecting the assembled wisdom of the internet in this Electrek article.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/05/tesla-mo ... tery-pack/

Video here

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

With former French brands Peugeot and Citroen are now part of the larger fry of Stellantis, what about that other French brand Renault. Reviving the "Alliance" with Nissan and Mitsubishi.

Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi to launch 35 new EVs by 2030

Jean-Dominique Senard, chairman of the Alliance,
“Today the Alliance is accelerating to lead the mobility revolution and deliver more value to customers, our people, our shareholders and all our stakeholders.

“The three member companies have defined a common roadmap towards 2030, sharing investments in future electrification and connectivity projects.

“These are massive investments that none of the three companies could make alone.

“Together, we are making the difference for a new and global sustainable future: the Alliance becoming carbon neutral by 2050.”
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Wonder what Jaguar Land Rover are up to :?:

Have they moved on from having one electric vehicle, the Jaguar I-pace, built in a factory in Austria :?:

They came up with their "Re-imagine" plan, in 2021
https://media.jaguarlandrover.com/news/ ... ury-design

Reimagination of Jaguar as an all-electric luxury brand from 2025 to ‘realise its unique potential’
In the next five years, Land Rover will welcome six pure electric variants as it continues to be the world leader of luxury SUVs
In the news today with
£500 million loan guarantee supports Jaguar Land Rover’s electric vehicle plans

Jaguar Land Rover is one of the UK’s largest exporters and employs over 28,000 staff based in the UK. Over 80% of the vehicles built by Jaguar Land Rover in the UK are sold to the world and three of its seven global technology hubs are based in Manchester, Warwick & London. In 2020-21, the company sold 439,588 vehicles in 127 countries, with about 80% of its sales to export markets outside the UK.

Jaguar Land Rover Automotive plc has received a £500 million Export Development Guarantee which will support the research, development and export of Battery Electric Vehicles
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

“What’s in a name? That which we call a Daimler By any other name would be equally expensive.”
*Renaming Mercedes-Benz Group AG marks completion of realignment
*Full focus on passenger cars and vans in the luxury and premium segment
*Leading role in electric mobility and vehicle software as a goal
Everyone in the car making business now wants to be the software and infotainment kings.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, Volvo seem to have thought that good customer service is very important;

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/volvo- ... en-repairs
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Wonder what the Blue Oval is doing?
What's the motivation...shove all the losses into one, let it wither and hope the US buyer still buys a few gas guzzlers to keep it going for a bit, while the other gets the top engineers, top software designers, R&D, and high productivity gigafactories necessary to compete, and hopes to get enough market share to make a decent profit :?: who knows :?:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

When is a car maker not a car maker :?:

When it turns itself into a Technology Company.

VW Press Release 03/03/2022

200 to 300 million lines of code in a car, that takes a lot of writing without making a single mistake :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My son in law used to do that stuff Neil, reams and reams of code pages, first for the RAF then GCHQ then after he resigned from that he wrote the whole code for a US State lottery and the US plumbers Union.
Sadly no more, he had a brain haemorrhage and has been unable to do much but survive since.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Arrival have had a fair bit of coverage on this thread, and over on the Public and Commercial Transport thread. UK start-up, backed by Hyundai, 10,000 van deal with UPS, microfactory and R&D in Bicester UK, but now HQ in USA and listed on the NASDAQ.

viewtopic.php?p=680338#p680338

Their recent stock value chart since listing would make a decent downhill ski slope, and still in a pre-production, pre revenues stage.

Over in the USA, Rivian on a larger scale, in a larger boat with both Ford and Amazon as shareholders, with some excellent products, are similarly in a pre significant revenues stage (it reports only 2542 vehicles so far produced). Rivian has recently announced it's Rivian Q4 results: Losses of $2.4 billion, and production revised downward to 25,000 EVs in 2022

Rivian's closest competitors are, rising from their slumbers Ford and GM, together with TESLA and their long trailed, but not quite there cybertruck and a bulging order book for it.

You can see from the chart of the world's automakers by market capitalisation that TESLA are way out in front but that RIVIAN for a start up are big players sitting at 12th place ahead of Nissan, Renault, KIA, Hyundai.

https://companiesmarketcap.com/automake ... arket-cap/

Rivian's valuation is now trading at a low of $33 billion after being valued as high as $150 billion after its public offering in November.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Nothing really new, just a packaging up device, which any sort of decent sized organisation can offer from insurance companies to supermarkets to energy companies. Just slap your name on as a front to some other service provider. Its the service,maintenance, breakdown cover, tax all thrown in for a monthly hire charge, easy in easy out.

So the AA bashed this out to me on the back of taking their home insurance.
Provided by LeasePlan UK Limited
Provided by LeasePlan UK Limited
So here's the bit for the Vauxhall e-corsa. They slap a headline out of £254 per month.
Small print.... 3 year contract, 9 months up front deposit, £199 arrangement fee, and you will be curtailed to 5,000 miles/year.

Let's say you wanted a bit more freedom to do more miles say 10,000, and you only wanted to stump up a one month up front deposit, bumps it up to £365.29 a month.
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I havent tended the garden on this thread since March so has nothing being going on on the car news front?

This bit of news caught my eye today,

Herbert Diess to leave VW in September with Oliver Blume (Porsche) set to take over

Diess probably upset too many people by trying to wake VW up. TESLA on their doorstep with a 3 times more efficient production than Wolfsburg's best required a shake up at VW, and he told them straight. Meanwhile over at Porsche as well as electrification they are also dabbling in e-fuels over in Chile to ensure continuation of the heritage of their classic cars.

Where will Diess end up...no info as yet, but previous rumours of his possible departure speculated that a move to TESLA was a possibility.

REgards Neil

PS Diess' previous mention on the thread in December 2021
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 10:22 Power struggle at VW leaves Diess with less control

Quite a dull sort of story, bit of boardroom amateur dramatics, but reading it my take is VW have effectively just taken their foot off the accelerator, started driving more conservatively, and settled for a distant second place in this seasons Championship. They are already a few laps off the pace, and I can see Diess looking for a more competitive drive with a different team. Still he's nominally still in charge of Group Strategy but not its implementation...providing he doesn't upset anyone by trying to make progress.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

This is a useful summary of the recent law developments which affect motoring: :-D

https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/ ... yrdc_012#2
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!