DiagBox/Planet/Lexia with non-PSA vehicles?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StuY
My Cars: 2010 Peugeot 308 SW 1.6 HDi 110 FAP (9HZ)
2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7 2.0 HDi 110 (RHW)
2007 Peugeot Partner Combi 1.6 HDi 90 (9HX) [sold]
2004 Peugeot 206 SW 2.0 HDi XSi (RHY) [sold]
1987 Renault 5 1.0 [scrapped]

DiagBox/Planet/Lexia with non-PSA vehicles?

Post by StuY »

Hi all,

Bit of a long shot... Has anyone had any success using the cloned PSA diagnostics tools with PSA engines in non-PSA vehicles?

I have a Suzuki Vitara with an 2.0 HDi 16v 110 RHW engine, which doesn't like to start in the cold. This is a bit of a problem as I live in Norway at about 800m elevation. Trying to get to the bottom of this, but at the moment I'm limited to EOBD for talking to the ECU, which has very limited information. I can talk to all the other controllers (ABS, 4WD, instrument cluster, AC, body systems, airbags, etc) using the great, and free, SZ Viewer software, but it doesn't support 3rd party engines.

I think both the Suzuki and my 308 expose the ECU over K-line on pin 7 of the diagnostic connector, so it seems like the PSA diagnostic interface could potentially work. I have tried to access the ECU with planet and diagbox, telling it that it is talking to a 1st gen Expert or 806. I feel like I'm almost there as it fails with a different error when I have a plausible model selected i.e. one that was offered with the RHW engine. Just wondering if anyone has managed to pull this off?

Stu
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DiagBox/Planet/Lexia with non-PSA vehicles?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Your issue is not just the engine - it's all the specific ECUs fitted to the vehicle and these may be proprietarily made for Suzuki, so may not be compatible - i.e. although the manufacturer may be Bosch or Siemens, the actual ECU may have different attributes and software not recognised by Diagbox. Lexia / PP200 / Diagbox generally has many of the ECU data on disk, and these are updated via link to PSA servers (for official units with valid PSA logins), but with version 9 of Diagbox mostly all configuration and any telecoding is done in online mode now so that the latest software files are downloaded as needed.

There was limited success with Mitsubishi Outlander as they made the C-Crosser for PSA and it was for all intents and purposes an Outlander with a few styling changes. So some with Outlanders have managed some connectivity with Diagbox. Similarly the Toyota Aygo which was also reincarnated into the Peugeot 106 and Citroen C1. So in common, all these shared mostly the same ECUs so had a better chance of talking to most systems.

Even within PSA vehicles, although the same engines may be used on more than one model or marque, the hardware and software versions can differ according to the manufacturer's needs for the specific vehicle and application needed. Each ECU make, model and variant has unique software designed for engine and model it is fitted to and the specific features.

So the same engine alone is no guarantee that any other components are also the same I'm afraid.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
StuY
My Cars: 2010 Peugeot 308 SW 1.6 HDi 110 FAP (9HZ)
2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7 2.0 HDi 110 (RHW)
2007 Peugeot Partner Combi 1.6 HDi 90 (9HX) [sold]
2004 Peugeot 206 SW 2.0 HDi XSi (RHY) [sold]
1987 Renault 5 1.0 [scrapped]

Post by StuY »

Success!

Its a Bosch EDC15C2. The particular Bosch part number doesn't seem to be used on any PSA vehicles, but it seemed reasonably likely that there would be a degree of commonality...its cheaper not to reinvent the wheel. I tried again with a load of different model/engine/ECU combinations in PP2000 and nothing worked (either no response, or "unknown reference, ECU being referenced"). Then I tried Lexia, which I am not familiar with. On the first attempt I selected MK1 Jumpy, RHW/EDC15C2. I used the VIN and DAM/RDO from my old Partner; these don't seem to affect the options, you just have to enter something valid. Got a warning that the ECU was not recognised, but the option to proceed anyway...bingo! Was able to read codes and see plausible live parameters.

I would not try to modify anything in the ECU, or even clear codes probably, but it seems ok for diagnostic purposes. Had a temporary cam coherence code which is interesting, and I can now see the rail pressure, engine rpm during cranking, and all the rest.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pleased you cracked it. The build codes are used for the correct vehicle year on PP2000 (for Peugeot) and Lexia (for Citroen), but obviously won't matter in your case as you don't have either model. The EDC15C2 is a Bosch designation for the engine ECU model. These can still have different software levels, so you are correct not to attempt any telecoding or you could leave it in an unconfigured state!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc