Stellantis

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Stellantis

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The press release is a bit long-winded, but it is an announcement of the change that is sweeping through the Automotive industry in general, and a case of trying not to fall behind the competition from not only TESLA and long-established traditional car companies like VW, but also the emerged and emerging companies from Korea, China, Vietnam and maybe even Japan if they wake up from their slumbers.

A few highlights if the full press release is too much of a mouthful :-D
"Stellantis will accelerate its shift to becoming a sustainable mobility tech company"

"Amazon and Stellantis will collaborate to deliver software for STLA SmartCockpit, which will run in millions of Stellantis vehicles globally starting in 2024."

"...through this relationship, which involves Amazon Devices, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Amazon Last Mile. Stellantis and Amazon will collaborate to deploy Amazon’s technology and software expertise across Stellantis’ organization, including vehicle development, building connected in-vehicle experiences, and training the next generation of automotive software engineers. Together, the two companies will create a suite of software-based products and services that seamlessly integrate with customers’ digital lives and add value over time through regular over-the-air (OTA) software updates."
REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Jan 2022, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Conspiracy Theory Alert:

God help us all that Amazon have any more involvement in our lives - I don't like the integration aspect one bit - it's a way of waving goodbye to any privacy you thought you had. So for those with Alexa devices in their home where they already listen in to everything you say, know what you order, where you want to go - they'll now extend this to the car and I bet before long they will take you to 'recommended' shops based on your Alexa interaction!

It's all going wrong, trying to take away independent choice and decision making from you. Not for me. As long as it has some HAL9000 circuits that can be pulled at the earliest.....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

"seamlessly integrate" and "add value". More phrases to set the alarm bells ringing.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NewcastleFalcon

Some old news hit the motoring press today. Auto Express have been talking to Fiats CEO Olivier Francois

New Fiat Panda SUV set for launch by 2023 with electric option
Fiat is planning a series of vehicles based on the Centoventi concept – including a new compact “Panda SUV”

So a bit off yet, but heading back a couple of years to the Geneva Motor Show the Centoventi Concept on which it is reported to be based was quite an interesting vehicle. More a design it yourself, chose which bits suit you from number of seats to roof panels, and even vinyl wrap it in any colour, design, pattern, picture you choose, they will take your design and produce the vinyls to the specification of the panels on the car.

Whether all that makes it through to the car is another matter, but it does add a little quirkyness and interest to the offering.

Best watched with the sound off!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 18 Jan 2022, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

So how are Stellantis doing?

Surprisingly in percentage terms Stellantis (STLA) stock rose by 60% in 2021. Testa (TSLA) stock over the same period rose by 27%. Vastly different overall values for the two companies, but signs that Stellantis may be doing something right.

Electrek are doing a bit of a feature on Stellantis first on the US brands, and moving on to Italian and maybe other brands.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/21/ev-hype- ... qus_thread

In a piece about Stellantis in 2022, the picture they dig up first in the Article is the Citroen DS, Numéro 9, Concept showcased at the Beijing Motor Show in 2012. Does look good, background very similar to this Vid.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Its an old story (July 2021) but an encouraging one. Stellantis to build electric Delivery Vans in the UK at Ellesmere Port to be precise.

https://www.electrive.com/2021/07/06/st ... in-the-uk/

A number of powerful UK businesses has launched the ‘EVzero’ initiative to increase charging infrastructure across the country in the UK. Tesco, NatWest, LeasePlan UK, Defra and The Environment Agency have taken the lead and say they will act as an “action group”. Decent pool of customers for "British Built" Electric vans. Who knows NIssan may even wake up, join-in and start making their new Commercial Electric Vehicles at Sunderland.
https://www.electrive.com/2022/02/01/ev ... astructure
Tesco, for example, is indeed gearing up electric transport initiatives, e.g. the retailer is reportedly working with the Government’s Electric Vehicle Fleet Accelerator (EVFA), bp, BT, Direct Line Group, Royal Mail, ScottishPower and Severn Trent to increase the uptake of EVs in the UK. Said commitment sees the companies and EVFA members convert their fleets to EVs by 2030, i.e. buying 70,000 British-built electric vans, provided the Government introduces enabling policies.
They might have to buy a few EU built vans before Ellesmere port and hopefully others expand the commercial vehicle production in the UK. Ford's exodus from the UK manufacturing scene will hopefully exclude their former "backbone of Britain", the humble Transit, from those fleet managers shopping lists.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Bit of Stellantis news, and their Citroen Brand in the UK.

Citroen C5 Aircross facelift: prices, specification and CO2 emissions

I laugh at the language used, and the odd focus of current styling...
The updated model features a redesigned front end with a sharper, more aggressive look than before.
There’s also a new interior layout that welcomes a larger infotainment screen and new seats.
Thank goodness for the design team they have solved the greatest design problems of the automobile. I have been motoring for decades now with an inadequate infotainment screen, and a largely passive front end.

[sarcasm]Viva the large infotainment screen and the more aggressive look.....great job![/sarcasm]

Whatever happened to French Car front ends which blew you a kiss :?:

Panhard Dyna Z 851cc manufactured 1958
Charles01, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Form over function, wasn't it always thus?
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Not always Steve! Remember Henry's offspring? :-D
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That is definitely as ugly as a lot of the more modern competition.
NewcastleFalcon

Stellantis have recently presented some strong financial results for 2021.
In spite of its disparate collection of marques, it turns out Carlos is quite pleased with the record results.
“Today’s record results prove that Stellantis is well positioned to deliver strong performance, even in the most uncertain market environments. I warmly thank all Stellantis employees across our regions, brands and functions for their contribution to building our new company powered by its diversity. I take this opportunity to also thank the management team for their relentless efforts as we faced and overcame intense headwinds. Together, we are focused on executing our plans as we race to become a sustainable mobility tech company.”

Carlos Tavares, CEO
Part of the plans announced with the financial results include taking FIAT to an all BEV brand in Europe by 2027.

Stellantis announces Fiat combustion phase-out
temp3.jpeg
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

What's a BEV?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NewcastleFalcon

Paul-R wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 18:37What's a BEV?
Battery Electric Vehicle Paul usually refers to a 100% Electric Vehicle.
PHEV Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle
FCEV Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle.
HEV Hybrid Electric Vehicle Hybrid where the petrol/diesel engine charges a small battery
MHEV Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicle Basically a petrol/diesel powered car with stop start tech.

The last 2 really aren't electric vehicles at all, they can travel negligible distance on electric power, and all of that is derived from petrol/diesel the only source of power, some of which is used to charge the small battery.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Have to say, I am almost raising my hat to Carlos Tavares at Stellantis, in spite of his early whingeing about electrification, and a difficult job to manage a large collection of brands and national loyalties, Stellantis recently announced strong financial results, and its "Dare Forward 2030" strategic plan is targeting 100% of sales in Europe and 50% of sales in the United States to be BEVs by the end of the decade, equating to annual BEV sales of five million vehicles by 2030.

Carlos does like a whinge I feel, and is concerned at the costs of electrification, but plans to tackle that with productivity increases over the next decade. As VW CEO Herbert Deiss observed and got into a bit of hassle for for stating the obvious...if a Tesla factory on your doorstep is 3 times as productive as your current manufacturing, you have to up your game to compete. Yes cut costs. Whether Tavares will face a similar backlash with his increasing productivity plans remains to be seen.

So 2 Stellantis stories today
Regards Neil

Its long but it is from the official press conference,
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Stellantis restructures hydrogen fuel cell department

Just in case, Stellantis are still dabbling, so the CEO of Opel Uwe Hochgeschurtz has been given an additional role of seeing to all things hydrogen for the group, but has previously repeatedly rejected fuel cells in private cars.

Stellantis has so far offered fuel cell versions of its Opel Vivaro-e, Citroën ë-Jumpy and Peugeot e-Expert vans.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey