Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive - 2008 X7 intermittent hydractive suspension problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mantisman
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive (X7) 2.0 - 2008

Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive - 2008 X7 intermittent hydractive suspension problem

Post by Mantisman »

Hi all,
I've posted about this problem before back in last March but it still remains unsolved as my indie garage has given up trying to solve it.

My front suspension keeps dropping right down and I get a "suspension problem, do not exceed 55mph" warning on the dashboard. I've found that sometimes if I stop the car, get out and lock it, wait a couple of minutes and then start it up, the suspension comes back up and functions as normal. It's very hit and miss if this solution works though and sometimes it refuses to come back up. It's like it's got a mind of it's own!

On Wednesday it dropped down in the morning and refused to come back up all day after doing several different journeys. I've just been to check it now after not using it since then. It was still right down but when I unlocked it, I could hear the pump start up and it came right back up without even starting the engine.

I've just learned to live with it over the past few months but it seems to be getting worse and doing it more regularly.

When my indie garage were actually interested and plugged in their diagnostic system, they found it was giving the following errors: "C1141 - Front height sensor uncategorised". "C1146 - Rear height sensor. U1118 - No communication with built in system".

It only ever drops at the front now and the back seems to function as normal. It did drop at the back as well as the front a long time ago so that's why the rear sensor is mentioned but that seems to have righted itself.

The last time I posted about this problem, there was a suggestion to try cleaning the electrical contacts on top of the pump just in case any spilled LDS had got in there and was causing a bad connection. My indie mechanic said he did this but it didn't make any difference.

Can anyone suggest anything else to try? Do you think it's worth taking a punt and replacing the front height sensor?

Regards,

Ian
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive - 2008 X7 intermittent hydractive suspension problem

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well if it's the front that is not working properly, it's very likely to be a faulty front height corrector. The subframe will need dropping slightly to gain access to replace it - be wary not to remove the clamp or change it's position, just replace the sensor.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Mantisman

Re: Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive - 2008 X7 intermittent hydractive suspension problem

Post by Mantisman »

Thanks Marc. I'll see if I can order one.
Mantisman

Post by Mantisman »

Marc, I don't suppose you know the part number for the front height corrector? There seems to be some confusion with a height sensor that adjusts the headlights with my local Citroen dealer! They say the part number for that is 5273J4.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, that is the correct part for a 2.0 HDi of that year. It is called a height body sensor and has 2 purposes. 1) For vehicles fitted with hydractive suspension, they are used to monitor the height of the vehicle. 4 Cylinder engines have one on the front subframe and one on the rear axle. For 6 Cylinder engines, there are 4 of these, situated on each wheel. These are used to inform the suspension ECU of the vehicle's height, so that height corrections can be made as necessary.

2) The second reason is for C5 X7 vehicles with hydractive suspension and or directional headlights (Xenon). The same height corrector is used to inform the headlamp ECU on vehicles with xenon lamps so that they can be adjusted more quickly to avoid blinding oncoming vehicles, as the suspension can't always level as quickly as necessary.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Mantisman

Post by Mantisman »

Ok, that's great. Thanks so much for your help Marc.