Trivia Investigation Team

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Trivia Investigation Team

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I have no idea about such things as this but "morpethcurve" has spent an great deal of time and effort on what I presume is Microsoft Train Simulator1, actually Simulating the Whittle Colliery Line on that platform. Unfortunately I cant see the fruits of his labour, and the forum post of his on here, doesnt have images visible on my machinery.

https://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic ... 6&start=75

This is one of the crossings near Hazon. Tha stone wall of the scenery isnt that accurate!
https://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?p=1661358#p1661358
https://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?p=1661358#p1661358
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Contributors to Flickr have captured some tremendous images of this little insignificant line in Northumberland. The locomotives look like they have been put through a hard life!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Contrast between the Whittle Colliery Days of NCB 31, and its "Clockwork Orange" days at NYMR.
No31 was supplied to the National Coal Board for use at the Ashington Colliery complex in Northumberland. It never left Northumberland whilst in NCB ownership, and ended up at Whittle Colliery in a run down condition. Whittle had hardly any maintenance facilities and the engine was not liked by the crews there. One reason was that, for a British industrial, it is unusual in being a side tank loco, and, with inside cylinders, access for oiling up was not easy. There is just the narrow slot below the front of the side tanks to squeeze through. Whittle didn't have a pit, which didn't help either.

On retirement No31 was preserved on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and restored to working order in a rather, er, striking livery of orange with bright green wheels. This was supposed to be based on a 2-6-0 of Ferrocarril de Guayaquil a Quito, in Ecuador. Inevitably, it became known as 'the Clockwork Orange'!

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

A short trivia trail
Geograph's Picture of the Day this very day Milford Haven Pembrokeshire

West Blockhouse Beacon

© Copyright Arthur C Harris and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Family holiday in Pembrokeshire staying at Narberth near Tenby Pembrokeshire
The Kirkland Arms Narberth and its story about the Grand National Winner Kirkland in 1905
The Kirkland Arms, Narberth

© Copyright Philip Halling and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
"There was great excitement in 1905 when a local horse, Kirkland, won the Grand National. It was trained in Lawrenny by Mr. E. Thomas and had walked to Narberth station, prior to the race, en route for Liverpool. On its return it had to be stabled overnight at the Commercial Inn kept by Mr. Fred Thomas who charged the enthusiastic crowd 6d to see the horse, many of whom had won a fair packet on the horse at 6-1. The landlord later changed the name of the Kirkland Arms in the horse's honour.
The Kirkland Arms Narberth and the Red Dragon trademark of Felinfoel Brewery Llanelli
geograph-3706874-by-Philip-Halling (1).jpg
Some may know that Llanelli was a pioneer of tinplating. The rugby posts at Llanelli's famous Stradey park rugby ground were topped with saucepans.
Two rival breweries in Llanelli Buckley's and Felinfoel began investigating canned beer in October 1935. Felinfoel, with family interests in the tinplate industry, on 3 December 1935, made headlines in the Llanelli and County Guardian under the triple heading: ‘Canned Beer Arrives’, ‘Epoch-Making Process at Felinfoel Brewery’, ‘New Hope for Tinplate Industry’.
Beer in Cans, that's never going to work said the naysayers in the 1930's, eventually it did, although it did go through some pretty dreadful incarnations before it was actually drinkable... :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

There shouldn't be too much difficulty working out where this was, but are there any other images/history of it, before everything changed. I haven't found any but I think I know where it was.
https://www.twwhiteandsons.co.uk/
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 22:25 Following up POTD about Whites in Effingham, the firm was established in 1964, and this image from the 1960's from one of its outlets, more than qualifies as an Interesting garage for the gallery.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I do know now exactly where the roundabout is and what it is called. That led to finding out the roundabout did make an appearance in a 1956 film "Dry Rot" with Stars: Ronald Shiner, Brian Rix, Sid James, Joan Sims, Peggy Mount, Heather Sears Location(s): Surrey. The scene is when Fred is directed to go straight across at a roundabout . . . . . . he does literally. Hilarious!

When Fred is directed to go straight across at a roundabout . . . . . . he does.

There is one image of it but, the thatched buildings and tower, and the petrol station isn't there at that time. Must have been built after 1956.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049163/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:38 I do know now exactly where the roundabout is and what it is called. That led to finding out the roundabout did make an appearance in a 1956 film "Dry Rot" with Stars: Ronald Shiner, Brian Rix, Sid James, Joan Sims, Peggy Mount, Heather Sears Location(s): Surrey. The scene is when Fred is directed to go straight across at a roundabout . . . . . . he does literally. Hilarious!

When Fred is directed to go straight across at a roundabout . . . . . . he does.

There is one image of it but, the thatched buildings and tower, and the petrol station isn't there at that time. Must have been built after 1956.

Regards Neil
I remember seeing that film as a kid, Brian Rix was a jockey and Syd James a bookie IIRC. Great fun!! - I'll have a poke around and see what comes out of it! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:49
I remember seeing that film as a kid, Brian Rix was a jockey and Syd James a bookie IIRC. Great fun!! - I'll have a poke around and see what comes out of it! :-D
Bit of nostalgia!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I now know exactly where the roundabout was as well but so far nothing new to report. I'll have a look in my old AA guide and see if that can shed any light!! :)
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:38

Regards Neil
The screenshot from the film "Dry Rot" (1956) may well have missed the buildings hence which from this additional information I discovered suggests the buildings were there from the 1930's at least.
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The AA guide did yield a layout of the roads which matches the roadsign in the full size photo of the dealer:
BFTW
BFTW
Created from AA guide
Created from AA guide
Digging goes on! :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The roundabout was part of the Women's cycling road race course in the 2012 Olympics:
BFTW
BFTW
Further pictures here!
NewcastleFalcon

The Leatherhead Local History Society has a bit about Givons Grove Service Station here.

https://www.leatherheadlocalhistory.org ... ry-104.pdf

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Success! Some interesting trivia about the dealership original site before it became T W White, it was a service station:

I think I will consider that as a wrap for me. At least we know the thatched building was there long before Dry Rot so methinks some film editing may have been involved to protect the innocent!! :-D

NB - Neil posted the above while I was compiling from my own research - spooky!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 12:05 Success! Some interesting trivia about the dealership original site before it became T W White, it was a service station:

I think I will consider that as a wrap for me. At least we know the thatched building was there long before Dry Rot so methinks some film editing may have been involved to protect the innocent!! :-D

NB - Neil posted the above while I was compiling from my own research - spooky!! :-D
On the visual search right at the start....the Thatched Barn at Borehamwood came up on the image list...Gone now, but an interesting history in itself, and connections with film TV too.

Finding the image from the White's website included "givons grove" in the file name helped unlock the rest.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey