Citroen C5x7 Need guidance.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davidalexic
My Cars: Renault Megane III Coupe GT Line
Citroen C5x7 III Tourer Executive

Citroen C5x7 Need guidance.

Post by davidalexic »

Hello everyone, let me start of by wishing you all a happy new year and wonderful holidays.
Since a few months ago I became an owner of a used Citroen C5 X7.
More about the vehicle.
Manufacturing year 2013. Engine: 2.0hdi 163hp Automatic transmission. Estate tourer chassis. Executive edition.

As of now it has 187k kms on the clock (if that wasn't tampered, which I doubt due to the condition of the interior)

Recently I started getting a check engine light and an error message that reads "Engine faulty: repair needed". A mechanic checked it with diagnostics, I saw the codes and they were about the air intake not being sufficient or something like that. Then he cleared the codes and the error wasn't coming on a few days, until one day out of the blue while I was overtaking and going past 3500rpm it came back again.
Also I can feel that it lost some power in 3rd gear at around 3700rpm.

Now, I want to take out the EGR and give it a good clean, due to the mechanics in my country not being trustworthy.
Can you, experienced people give me some tips and point me to some things I should look after while doing that.
Should I drain the coolant and/or oil?

Please note that I am no mechanic, but am a fast learner.
Last edited by davidalexic on 05 Jan 2022, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen C5x7 Need guidance.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You can get an EGR cleaning spray that you spray into the inlet manifold (while the engine is running). I cannot tell you how good (or bad) they are, as I have not had to use them myself. You might also want to check the air pipes, as if one is blocked or restricted that might not help the air intake.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The Wynns EGR cleaning spray sometimes it works sometimes it doesent. Really depends on how bad it is or what exactly is wrong with the EGR valve but a around £10 a can its definitely worth a shot. It also helps clean the mess of the inlet track that the EGR valve causes in the first place.
davidalexic
My Cars: Renault Megane III Coupe GT Line
Citroen C5x7 III Tourer Executive

Post by davidalexic »

wheeler wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 21:44 The Wynns EGR cleaning spray sometimes it works sometimes it doesent. Really depends on how bad it is or what exactly is wrong with the EGR valve but a around £10 a can its definitely worth a shot. It also helps clean the mess of the inlet track that the EGR valve causes in the first place.
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 20:35 You can get an EGR cleaning spray that you spray into the inlet manifold (while the engine is running). I cannot tell you how good (or bad) they are, as I have not had to use them myself. You might also want to check the air pipes, as if one is blocked or restricted that might not help the air intake.
I have found this already on those EGR sprays, that's why I decided not to waste time and get straight into brushing :-D

Since I don't know the previous owner personally, I want to clean the engine and get to know it before heading off to longer trips with this vehicle.
Thanks for the information though, but that just doesn't cut it for me [-X :)