C1 Radiator fan always on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

IAFYM
My Cars: Citroen C1 II

C1 Radiator fan always on

Post by IAFYM »

Hello, Just before christmas I bought myself a 2015 C1 VTi 68 Feel (or something along those lines) from a main dealer and it had an issue with the radiator which they replaced when I bought it. I took it home and one of the pipes going to the radiator came off due to pressue and the clip holding it on breaking and all the coolant fluid draining out. The garage recovered the car for me and fixed the issue.

I bought the car home again but this time I noticed that when I turned the engine off the radiator fan was still running for a little while after (I'm sure it was the radiator fan, there was a hum inside the car and I could hear something from outside which stopped after a couple of minutes. The garage isnt too far from my house (maybe 7 miles). Yesterday I took the car to the shops (maybe 2 miles away) and I noticed that the fan was running again when I went into the shop and then when I went home the same happened. My previous cars have only had the fan come on intermittently and I'd ever noticed it on (when turning the car off) after a long drive but the C1 appears as though it's on all the time.

Is this normal behaviour for a C1 and particularly when the car is turned off? There is no temp guage in the car, so I can't see if its overheating.

It's a new to me car and I don't want to break it if there is an issue.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: C1 Radiator fan always on

Post by white exec »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

A poor connection to a temperature sensor (or a failing sensor) can cause that problem.
As the car is still under dealer warranty, I'd return it to them for a fix.
Get them to let you know exactly what the problem was.
Chris
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

IAFYM wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 03:39
I took it home and one of the pipes going to the radiator came off due to pressue and the clip holding it on breaking and all the coolant fluid draining out. The garage recovered the car for me and fixed the issue.
Is this the newer facelifted model? & which engine is fitted, size & fuel type?
I'd be a bit concened about this incase the system is over pressurizing. Of course is may have been an incorrectly fitted or damaged hose clip too. After a run do the radiator hoses feel pretty solid or is there still a bit of squeeze in them. If you remove the coolant cap after the engine has fully cooled down for several hours how much pressure is released? is normal to get a little bit.
IAFYM
My Cars: Citroen C1 II

Post by IAFYM »

white exec wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 08:41 As the car is still under dealer warranty, I'd return it to them for a fix.
Yeah, I'm thinking that's what I may have to do. I'm just a little worried that I'll end up being one of those customers where nothing is ever good enough and they stop being helpful.
wheeler wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 10:44 Is this the newer facelifted model? & which engine is fitted, size & fuel type?
I'd be a bit concened about this incase the system is over pressurizing. Of course is may have been an incorrectly fitted or damaged hose clip too. After a run do the radiator hoses feel pretty solid or is there still a bit of squeeze in them. If you remove the coolant cap after the engine has fully cooled down for several hours how much pressure is released? is normal to get a little bit.
It is the newer model, I think. The one with the indicators being separate and above the headlights. Its 1.0 petrol VTi 68 Feel or something along those lines. When I bought the car they did a check on it and found that there was something wrong with the radiator, so replaced it. I suspect that there was nothing wrong with the clip and what actually happened was that they forgot to put the clip onto the hose in the first place. When the car turned into a waterfall I did try to look to see if I could see anything but I wasn't too sure what I was even looking for and it's really tight in the engine area.