Xantia X1 Key fob

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Punk
My Cars: 1995 Xantia Activa TCT

Xantia X1 Key fob

Post by Punk »

Hello everyone,

I own a 1995 Activa TCT in France, this particular car is equipped with the alarm option. I got the car without its key fob, only the spare key (and a broken driver side doorlock aswell). I've bought a new fob for it with a virgin key insert on it, a 2 button IR one. I got the procedures from ServiceBox using my account but the car just doesn't reprogram for the key. I've tested the fob with the phone camera trick, infrared appears no problem. The alarm seems to be in good condition, deadlock is operational no issues and if you disconnect the battery the lights will flash until you press the button. It also appears to be a genuine one, sticker dates production to 20.03.97
While reading the forum I've found few symptoms like mine but aerodynamica seems to have a similar case which ended up in receiver replacment but sadly without much explanations. My receiver looks fine as far as the eye can tell. I cannot DM him yet as my account is too young.

Has anyone had similar issues with their cars? What can I try?

This system is fairly complex, running in various sections of the car and before diving into it with my multimeter I'd like to have some feedbacks and you guys from the UK as you guys certainly had the most alarm'd Xantias.

While I'm at it, has anyone trying changing lock combination? Citroën asks 80€ for a proper one (IF they do), would be cool to try and do it myself as locks can be had new for cheap.

Thanks in advance everyone.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Xantia X1 Key fob

Post by xantia_v6 »

Does your car have deadlocking? I am not sure that it makes a difference, but on UK cars, the second button operates the deadlocks, which France market cars don't have.

Maybe you can source a UK IR receiver module?
Punk

Post by Punk »

Yes it has deadlocking and it works fine. As far as I know French market car also had deadlocking, I'm pretty sure the receivers are the same as well.
The workshop manuals for deadlocking and alarm is available in French so I suppose they were available.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

OK, the few France-market Mk1 Xantias I have seen (including an Activa V6) only had a one button remote (and I presumed no deadlocks).

For what it is worth, here are the schematics, with and without deadlocking:

I know that the same design of fob was used on other models (mk1 Xsara?) and maybe they were coded differently?
The later XM fobs look similar, but are RF, not IR.
Punk

Post by Punk »

By standard if you have central locking with plip you get a one button plip. On top of that you can get the option "alarm + deadlocking" which gives you a 2 button plip, the second button triggers the deadlock and the alarm. The alarm can be triggered on simple locking if the wire under the console is plugged in, it is plugged from the factory.
The facelift XM used the same plip but with HF indeed, I looked up if retrofitting an HF plip was possible but they're really different as the HF looses the receiver etc.
The alarm option is rare if not very rare in France and it is considered here a hassle not worth fighting for as diagnostic can be hard, parts are difficult to get and the system not really needed as the Xantia is seen as an old man's car not worth stealing (except Activa V6 which are still getting stolen for roberies). I've got it and it works fairly well honestly, even the siren works. Only issue is the fact that I got the car without its plip and I need that it's so useful.

Thank you for the schematics, I'll try to do a few wiring checks but my Lab multimeter is failing on me lol
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

Hiya, sorry you're having trouble. I'm not sure if it's the same problem I had but in my old silver xantia (1993 SX) the IR receiver in the ceiling has blown caused by water drips from above (possibly via the antenna) and I simply swapped the unit with one from ebay.
On my blue xantia, another 1993 SX it was the remote that was bad - micro switches and components on the little pcb were suffering bad solders. I found a new remote internal on ebay and swapped it. So really, back in those days I was simply suspecting a component and swapping it out to see.
Interestingly, my current xantia (1993 vsx) has had its alarm somehow disconnected but the remote locking still works and the indicator lights flash as if the alarm was still active. I don't know how this was achieved as it was done by a previous owner. All my 4 xantias have been early mk1s and I wonder if the system is even the same? It is quite an old skool system.
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
Punk

Post by Punk »

Thank you for your reply, I'm shared between the second hand plip I bought and the receiver. I've taken both them out and given them a look with eyes and multimeter and honestly none of them look suspcious to me. I've redone some solder joints but I think my issue may be somewhere else which is what I'm afraid of.

On the remote that was bad, did you do the phone camera test? As if a bad emitter could still emit something perhaps?

On your current Xantia you can find the alarm ECU under the left front seat, it's a bit hidden, check if its still there maybe? The horn and lights are actuated by the locking ECU, but I suppose the decision of firing them would be given by the alarm.