Citroen C8 moving forward

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

manafas
My Cars: Citroen C8 2.0 SX HDI

Citroen C8 moving forward

Post by manafas »

Hello fellow Citroen car owners
Greetings and Happy Holidays!
I have a Citroen C8 2.0 diesel SX from 2008.
I do love this car for its practicality, comfort and reliability. Over the years I have owned 5 of these cars, two of them were a FIAT and a Peugeot, I find the Citroen the best of them all.
I got this current one second hand in very good condition, it has now done just over 100K miles. In my hands it has received everything it needs and when it needs it, including the maintenance always done on time.
I notice the engine has lost quite a bit of its power, even knowing it starts really well and it runs well overall.
However it does smoke (black) in certain situations, if I need to put my foot down.
Also it makes quite a bit of an effort to gain speed unless I really press the pedal, this is not what they normally do as these cars have enough power to get going even at lowers revs.
I don't want to get rid of it because I cannot find another C8 in similar conditions to mine and there is nothing wrong with it apart from this lack of power.
(Also looking in the second hand market I cannot see another car model that offers what this one does, perhaps with exception of the Renault Grand Espace...)
What could be the cause of this lack of power and what can I do to sort it?
I cannot think it needs engine out and cylinders rectified at 100K miles as I had one who was sold at 250K and it was still absolutely fine. These cars can do the high mileage.
Many thanks for reading and your input/advise will be much appreciated.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C8 moving forward

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi, I really think you ned to start with a proper diagnosis of the engine management system. You may well have some fault codes which would help. But typical issues can be EGR valve or intake manifolds clogged up.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
manafas

Post by manafas »

Hi Marc
Many thanks for your reply.
I havent got a diagnosis machine so this will need to be done at a garage.
The strange thing is the engine starts well every time - and apart from not delivering much power at lower revs and smoking when pressed hard, has no other "symptoms"
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Your issue may be intermittent and / or there may well be fault codes that won't always trigger an engine management light on the dash. So you need somebody to run a full diagnostic, note the fault codes, clear them, take the car for a run and then re-run the diagnostics and report back on any faults.

If you don't have your own diagnostic kit, have a look at our list of members who have offered Lexia / Peugeot Planet / Diagbox Diagnostics help if you haven't already seen it - link below:

At the end of the list is a link to a Google Map, showing the geographic locations of members and details. Just use the Private Message or Email links on the member's profile to contact anyone suitable.

List of Lexia / Diagbox Owners with Kits Offering Help

Bear in mind, although we update the list as often as we can, not all members are active on the Forum all the time, so it may take a while for a reply.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
manafas

Post by manafas »

Thank you Marc
I will have a look and see if any member is located nearby.
The car has never had the engine light on.
The lack of power is something that is noted on a permanent basis, specially if we need to get going faster, although the car is perfectly drivable and once it gets going it can maintain motorway speeds as well.
jscadden
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso VTX 16V

Citroen C8 2.0HDi (Deceased)

Post by jscadden »

My C8 failed its MOT on smoke. It also had a lack of power! Turned out that one of the pipes had split. Pipe replaced, problem solved and MOT passed. Apparently, it was the boost pipe out of the intercooler!
John

Xsara Picasso VTX 16V

VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]