Annual Pilgrimages

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Annual Pilgrimages

Post by Dormouse »

At this time of year lots of us trot off and do the same thing, year after year. Here are some snap shots of our Annual Pilgrimages. However, feel free to add anything, even it is your first time and you think it is worth the trip.

There is Cherry Cake, Real Cherry Cake and then there is Fisher and Donaldson's Cherry Cake. Not until the onset of the Pandemic could you pay by card at Fisher & Donaldson in Cupar and before that you needed a hefty chunk o' siller in yir pooch if you did go in. Their car park was full early this morning - and often is! Expensive? yes. Worth it? yes.
1639744087182.jpg
1639744087242.jpg
Then there is our New Year Provisions Pilgrimage. Used to be to the Buffalo Farm just outside Kirkcaldy but nowadays it is to Blackettyside Farm, Leven as they now stock Buffalo Farm produce. Unusual in it's opening hours but very well stocked with all sorts of delights. And, like Fisher & Donaldson in Cupar as well as, quite recently, The Buffalo Farm, it has an excellent Cafe that is well worth a linger.
1639752474251.jpg
1639752474265.jpg
Now what goodies did we get?
1639744087111.jpg
But it does not end there as all this was added to this.
1639752474238.jpg
Our New Year Hamper.

Cheers Everyone! Season's Greetings and, when it comes, have a truly Happy New Year. Slainte! =D> :tgif:
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Annual Pilgrimages

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Dormouse wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 15:50 Cheers Everyone! Season's Greetings and, when it comes, have a truly Happy New Year. Slainte! =D> :tgif:
and the same to you and yours. :-D

Barrs cream soda the finest accompaniment to fish and chips. :-D

Some years since we have been up near Cupar, had a Mini Metro City old Y registration at the time. Stayed at St Andrews but visited friends at Ceres. Heading for home on the Saturday we broke down at Pitscottie. Needed fixing straight away got recovered to a local garage. They did a head Gasket! Subsequently found that was not the problem when it started playing up again down at Berwick. A simple condenser replacement did the trick.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

This is what we locally refer to as "A Single Fish" ie an adult portion of battered Haddock or more precisely 2 pieces of fish and a handful of chips. A childs/OAP portion is a single piece of Haddock with the obligatory handful of chips. Chips come in a separate box and would feed a a small family. And a Fish Supper as we call it usually comes with a can of Irn Bru.
IMG_20140106_191037.jpg
The plate underneath is full sized Dinner Plate for reference.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Speaking of good fish and chips

Carlo's in Alnwick tops my list, the Angel in Corbridge is very good, but I do enjoy a stop at Wetherby at the Wetherby Whaler if we are on tour out of area.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 19:25
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 19:12 Our favourite, No.1 Chippy in the entire country is in Penrith, "Angel Lane Chippie", a bit pricey, but superb! If you haven't sampled it, do so.

I agree Puxa, we have enjoyed fish and chips from the Angel lane chippy many times :-D I do like Carlos in Alnwick too, and a good chippie is well worth knowing about.

I posted this up....on an off-topic tangent on another thread....about Carlo's with a nice picture of a scenic location which adds to the pleasure of consumption!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48953&p=464349&hilit=corby#p417432

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would like to try the famed fish and chips at Whitby - but never been able to park there. Haven't tried at this time of the year.

Peter
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

A friend of mine from Aberdeen returned home to Ayr to run the family Chip Shop many years ago. He used mainly local fish but used to get a delivery of Haddock from Aberdeen once a week and these were his "Special" Fish Suppers. I have tried both on many occasions and they were both great but you could tell the Aberdeen Haddock. Another friend had a farm outside Stonehaven and supplied many of the local chippies with potatoes. He was in the Haven Chippy doing a delivery when Mel Gibson's Film Crew from Dunottar Castle were trying Deep Fried Mars Bars for the first time.
Opera Snapshot_2021-12-18_103341_www.google.com.png
There is some debate as to whether The Haven was the first chippy to deep fry Mars Bars.

Addendum - thinking about it, Morando's Haddock were probably from Peterhead or possibly Gourdon. Must ask next time we speak.
Last edited by Dormouse on 18 Dec 2021, 12:52, edited 2 times in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Peter.N. wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 09:48 I would like to try the famed fish and chips at Whitby - but never been able to park there. Haven't tried at this time of the year.

Peter
You may be disappointed. The Magpie is not all it is cracked up to be. Fuscoe's allegedly better.
But The Silver Grid by the town hall used to be very good. That was decades ago though.
stock-photo-the-old-town-hall-in-market-place-whitby-yorkshire-uk-taken-on-may-1100692394.jpg
On the left.

The very best was owned and run by my mate's brother and his wife, a former girlfriend. Long gone unfortunately.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

not uncommon. The Wee Chippy is far better than the Famous Anstruther Fish Bar in my (and many others) opinion. Our local chippy is variable as it depends on who is working the Fryer.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There is a nice restaurant come take away in Helmsdale off the A9 in Sutherland called "La mirage". that does very nice fish and chips. We have a child's portion a full size one is to much to eat, go there every year.

Also at Beamish museum they do them on a coal fired range, haven't tried them yet but their is usually a queue

Peter