Weird Motor Sound from Radio

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

alisan
My Cars: c5 x7 2011 station

Weird Motor Sound from Radio

Post by alisan »

Hello everybody,

According to my experiences, my 2011 c5 x7 tourer has some weird noise when I try to listen music only from bluetooth or aux mode. When I press the gas pedal parallel to the rev increase there is some noise coming from the speakers whether music is playing or not. I think it may caused because of bad grounding. The car has its original sound system no upgrades. Anybody faced with the same issue? Thanks in advance
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Weird Motor Sound from Radio

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This can generally be an earth issue and more commonly found when fitting aftermarket kits when they have been wired in badly. You could try checking the earth point or fit a noise suppression unit to get rid of it.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
alisan

Post by alisan »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 11:57 This can generally be an earth issue and more commonly found when fitting aftermarket kits when they have been wired in badly. You could try checking the earth point or fit a noise suppression unit to get rid of it.
First of all thank you for your answer. There is no aftermarket kit added to the ca everything is original actually. Could please explain where the earth point is and how to install supression unit?
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

If the 'motor' interference is only on RADIO/TUNER setting, it could be noise coming in via the aerial. Important that the antenna/aerial lead gets a good ground connection, at both radio (head unit) end and at the roof/mounting point.

If the noise is on other inputs too (eg CD, USB...) then the issue is probably poor Grounding. First action is to make really good Ground connection (ok to make an additional one) between radio/head unit chassis/case and a good Gnd point nearby.

Possible, although less likely, is that the +12 feeds to the radio have been taken from frail/noisy sources, rather than from good wiring. If this is the case, it would show up on whichever input the radio is switched to.

If the noise is only there when the engine is running, it is either an IGN (if petrol) or alternator problem.

>> Mark and I seem to be replying almost simultaneously, so no shortage of advice!
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

First you need to work out the likely cause:

1) Test the Radio first - can you here the whine increase with the engine speed increase?
2) Now change to CD source or Bluetooth Streaming. Can you still hear the same whining noise?

If the noise is only on the radio, then the fault is likely a poor earth from the aerial - so check the earthing points.
If the noise still continues on all sources, then it is likely to be from the alternator. As the engine speed increases, so does the alternator which is why you hear the increase in whining from the speakers.

So if this is the case, then I would check out the alternator earth and make sure it is making good contact with the body / clean it up. If it is still not helping, then you may need to fit a noise suppressor in between the battery positive lead that goes to the alternator.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
alisan

Post by alisan »

white exec wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 20:49 If the 'motor' interference is only on RADIO/TUNER setting, it could be noise coming in via the aerial. Important that the antenna/aerial lead gets a good ground connection, at both radio (head unit) end and at the roof/mounting point.

If the noise is on other inputs too (eg CD, USB...) then the issue is probably poor Grounding. First action is to make really good Ground connection (ok to make an additional one) between radio/head unit chassis/case and a good Gnd point nearby.

Possible, although less likely, is that the +12 feeds to the radio have been taken from frail/noisy sources, rather than from good wiring. If this is the case, it would show up on whichever input the radio is switched to.

If the noise is only there when the engine is running, it is either an IGN (if petrol) or alternator problem.

>> Mark and I seem to be replying almost simultaneously, so no shortage of advice!
Thank you for your answer. The noise comes only when the inputs AUX and bluetooth is selected. I will search for a grounding point to make extra ground connection
alisan

Post by alisan »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 20:50 First you need to work out the likely cause:

1) Test the Radio first - can you here the whine increase with the engine speed increase?
2) Now change to CD source or Bluetooth Streaming. Can you still hear the same whining noise?

If the noise is only on the radio, then the fault is likely a poor earth from the aerial - so check the earthing points.
If the noise still continues on all sources, then it is likely to be from the alternator. As the engine speed increases, so does the alternator which is why you hear the increase in whining from the speakers.

So if this is the case, then I would check out the alternator earth and make sure it is making good contact with the body / clean it up. If it is still not helping, then you may need to fit a noise suppressor in between the battery positive lead that goes to the alternator.
Hello, as I said in previous quote the noise is not coming when radio is selected. I will also check the alternator grounding. Thank you!