2009 Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive electric tailgate functioning but not unlocking.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndyRB
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 Tourer Exclusive

2009 Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive electric tailgate functioning but not unlocking.

Post by AndyRB »

I wonder if anyone can help with advice. I have a 2009 C5 Tourer Exclusive with the electric tailgate and hydraulic suspension and since last week the tailgate will only unlock if I use a screwdriver to push the lever in the small slot of the boot latch. Once I’ve done that I can then press the switch in between the number plate lights and it will raise to full height, as normal. It also closes and locks as normal when I press the red switch at the bottom of the tailgate. It’s just the unlocking that has stopped functioning regardless of whether I use the boot switch or the key fob and whenever I press either of these all that occurs is two beeps. Also, there are no fault codes when scanning the car with Diagbox.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 2009 Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive electric tailgate functioning but not unlocking.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not sure if this will help you much - as you can see there are a myriad of possible conditions, but take a look:

The only other thing I am aware of with '2 beeps' concerns initialisation of the motorised boot. This is done at factory and really only needs to be done if a new control unit is fitted, or if replacing any mechanical components of the motorised tailgate (Tailgate struts - engine - Motorised tailgate); or an action of maintenance on the motorised tailgate (an event that could modify the minimum and maximum opening angles of the motorised tailgate.

Memorisation is retained when the battery is disconnected.
FaultBack-up mode
Vehicle speed information invalidNormal operation of the motorised tailgate
Motorised tailgate opening switch (Locked)The command is no longer taken into account, opening remains possible by means of the high frequency remote control
Motorised tailgate closing switch (Locked)The command is no longer taken into account, motorised closing remains possible via the motorised tailgate opening switch
Information : Boot lock jammed in the locked positionThe motorised tailgate refuses to open (or to close if it is at an angle below around 10/15°)
Boot lock jammed in the locked position, with information that it is unlocked (With the tailgate closed)The motorised tailgate ECU tries to open the tailgate, then stops the tailgate. Opening of the tailgate is possible only after emergency unlocking of the boot lock (See : Description of the back-up mode - Door management)
Boot lock jammed in the locked position, with information that it is unlocked (With the tailgate open)Emission of a sound alert and reopening of the tailgate if the lock is not closed mechanically. Emission of a sound alert and attempt to reopen the tailgate, followed by a second sound alert if the lock is closed mechanically
Loss of data : Operation authorisation or pinch statusA movement in progress will be completed
Information : Anti-pinch of the sensitive seals invalidOnly motorised opening is authorised
Information : Anti-pinch of the sensitive seals invalid (Detection in the course of closing)Stopping of the motorised tailgate without reversal of movement, and emission of a sound alert
Information : Tailgate position invalid (Detection in the course of movement)Stopping of the movement of the motorised tailgate, followed by 3 emissions of sound alerts (1 beep of 1 second, 1 beep of 2 seconds, 1 beep of 1 second) ; The motorised tailgate ECU commands the going in of the motorised striker if it out, declutches the tailgate mechanism and turns off the tailgate closing switch. The motorisation of the tailgate is no longer possible
Absence of change of status of the motorised striker despite a piloting of the strikerFollowing a command for the striker to go in, if the change of striker status to the "gone in" status is not observed within 4s, a second command is given. If the change of striker status to the "gone in" status is still not observed within 4s, the striker is diagnosed as faulty : "Striker fault : risk of inviolability"
fault : Motorised striker plate (Striker jammed in)The motorised tailgate remains operational, but complete closing is not guaranteed in certain cases (windows/doors closed) ; The tailgate will come back up by 15/20° and emit a sound alert (2 beeps)
fault : Motorised tailgate linear potentiometerThe motorised tailgate ECU commands the motorised tailgate to move, then stops the movement and emits a sound alert (2 beeps), the mechanism is declutched
Motorised tailgate motor faultRefusal of motorised movement if the tailgate is stopped, stopping of the motorised tailgate if the tailgate is moving
Declutch motor faultRefusal of movement if the tailgate is declutched, and emission of a sound alert; refusal of declutching at the end of closing if the tailgate is clutched, no sound alert
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
AndyRB
(Donor 2021)

Re: 2009 Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive electric tailgate functioning but not unlocking.

Post by AndyRB »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I might be very wrong but I think the relevance of the two beeps in this instance is the inability to perform the command of unlocking. I’ve owned the car a long time and whenever say when cleaning the car the doors have been open for a while the tailgate won’t unlock and there’ll be the two beeps. Then when the engine is started it unlocks, likewise, if the tailgate has been open for a while there’ll be two beeps when pressing the red switch and it won’t close until the engine is started. I’m assuming it’s going into eco mode and these examples occur regardless of if a new fully charged battery has been fitted, or not.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That is another issue with these - economy mode with car battery in poor condition. A battery over 5 years is about your lot really.

I put together an illustrated guide on a fix for this concerning transferring the economy mode management from the Battery Charge Status Unit over to the BSI which prevented a lot of motorised tailgate problems. It requires a Lexia kit with Diagbox to do though and is in the donating members Resources section:

viewtopic.php?t=60776

This basically gave the old 'up to 30 minutes' of accessory usage when the engine is switched off depending on battery charge state and previous length of engine running time. It helped many with C5 X7 motorised tailgate not opening or closing.

Marc
AndyRB
(Donor 2021)

Post by AndyRB »

Problem solved..... I replaced the tailgate switch between the number plate lights and also fitted a new latch [8719.G5] to no avail. However, I've just checked the wires in the rubber corrugated section between the body and the tailgate by cutting along a small section of the seam with a scalpel and found a broken white wire. I quickly joined it using a Wago 221-2411 splicing connector, crossed my fingers and the tailgate now unlocks and opens. So, the white wire triggers the latch to unlock but doesn't show up as a fault during a scan.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's another place I forgot to mention - normally when the tailgate is dead or won't open - always a weak point - same with the doors that are always opening and closing causing stress on the wires. Glad you have it sorted. If you do find your tailgate starts to refuse to open or close - you have the link for the fix in future.

Marc
AndyRB
(Donor 2021)

Post by AndyRB »

Thanks, I did follow the process through the link and transferred the economy mode management. It definitely seems to improve the tailgate opening and closing by avoiding the need to switch on the engine to close it, if it's been left open for a while.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great.

Marc
pasalima
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2 x BX 1.9D, BX GT, 2 x Xantia HDI (Excl)
2011 C5 Tourer 2.0 Excl (163)

Post by pasalima »

Hi guys,
I also have the same problem (2011 C5 x7) where the tailgate opens about halfway & then stops. It does not close, needs to be closed manually. When the tailgate stops it gives 2 short beeps followed by another 2 short beeps. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Paul
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Looking at my earlier post it may be the Motorised tailgate linear potentiometer fault.

Marc
pasalima
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2 x BX 1.9D, BX GT, 2 x Xantia HDI (Excl)
2011 C5 Tourer 2.0 Excl (163)

Post by pasalima »

Thanks Marc,
I'm away for a few days, I'll update my mechanic when I get back. He was just looking for a bit of insight on where to start on the repair, as he's not a Citroen mechanic.
cheers,
Paul
punduris
New User
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2009

Post by punduris »

pasalima wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 12:36 Hi guys,
I also have the same problem (2011 C5 x7) where the tailgate opens about halfway & then stops. It does not close, needs to be closed manually. When the tailgate stops it gives 2 short beeps followed by another 2 short beeps. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Paul

How did you resolved this issue? pleas tell me :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll need to consult the table above for the beeps to see what the potential causes are. In either case it will probably need looking at by Citroen.

Marc