C5 X7 Starting Issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Icefever
My Cars: 2009 C5 diesel Tourer.

C5 X7 Starting Issue

Post by Icefever »

We took her for a test drive and it was great, switch the lights on and the dash lit up like the SS Enterprise.. :lol: in the 5 years we've had her she hasn't put a foot wrong. Until yesterday, we popped out to the shops, she started ok at home with no sign of anything wrong. I needed a few things from Screwfix, went in picked up my order, got back in turned the key and all hell broke loose.

Headlights on, wipers did 1 swipe, all the dash lights on along with a quick flash of "anti-theft" or something, doesn't stay on long enough to read. Turn the key and she cranks over great, new battery 6 months back, but will not start.

I got out and tried to lock the car with the fob (which until then had always worked) no go...nothing...I opened the fob and tried the old trick of warming the battery just to find enough so that it may work...zilch.

Time for the breakdown to earn their money, the guy arrives, takes out his power pack, I did say the battery was new, when the sparks start to weld the terminal he realised that he had the jump leads the wrong way round. :roll:
Tried to start her, she was having none of it, so with that gave up and loaded her onto his truck to take her home, company policy is they can't now carry passengers.

A phone call to a friend and we also got home at the same time, so later today I will see if I have the correct battery for the fob to start with, if I have?? let's hope it'll work, I know about opening the window and taking the earth lead off for 10 sec....and then trying to re-set the key....fingers crossed that's all it is???

I do love the old girl, and I'd like to keep her going but I can't justify spending a mountain of money on her....I have thought in the past about buying a vehicle diagnostics tool...but there seems to be a load out there ranging from £35 to £100's, any info on them would be appreciated.

Cheers Ice
Icefever
My Cars: 2009 C5 diesel Tourer.

Re: C5 X7 Starting Issue

Post by Icefever »

Ok checked the battery in the fob, that's ok...I can see now that it says "economy mode". Tried to open the driver's window...no go..so had the wife sit inside while I did the battery neg terminal off & on, then she did the side lights and key holding the lock button, still on go. :twisted:

Ice.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 X7 Starting Issue

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Before the recovery people reversed the battery connections I would of said it is your battery. 5 years is about the max for a C5. Forget the key fob batteries that won't cause the issues you described.

However, not that they have reversed connections whilst trying to jump the car, they may have caused additional damage to the electrical circuit! I would be calling the breakdown company up and speaking to somebody there as they may have now caused damage. At the very least they should take some responsibility for their incompetence. I would be expecting them to have the vehicle taken to a dealer and diagnosed properly with some contribution towards any damage.

At the least they may have blown a fuse or damaged some components.

As for the Battery disconnect procedure, that is here. Follow the timings and instructions or it won't work.

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc