C4 Grand Picasso (2017 Engine Management light)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

The Old Hobbit
My Cars: 2017 C4 G Picasso.

C4 Grand Picasso (2017 Engine Management light)

Post by The Old Hobbit »

I bought a 1.6 diesel C4 G Picasso in June of this year (2017 27k miles) and have had up to yesterday trouble free running. I must add that the vehicle is being seen tomorrow for a diagnostic under warranty, but I just wanted to put a couple of questions out there for the more technical minded from someone is gets confused on how to programme his TV :rofl2:

Yesterday I got a warning message "Engine Fault - Repair Needed". I rang the dealer and they seemed quite cool about it and said to carry on using it and booked me in for a diagnostic tomorrow. Today on the way to work I got another message saying something like emission's problem, but I kept on driving, later today I got another message and a service light mentioning Adblu. Now I have never seen a reminder for low adblu and was told that the tank had been filled in June prior to my taking delivery of the car, which should last me 12000 miles.

I know the wise thing to do is to wait until tomorrow morning and see what the tech guy says, but I just wondered if anyone had seen or heard of this combination of messages before?

Thank you in advance......... Hobbit :clap: :clap:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: C4 Grand Picasso (2017 Engine Management light)

Post by RichardW »

Probably needs a new AdBlue tank. Good job it's under warranty, as they are over £1k :shock:
Richard W
The Old Hobbit

Post by The Old Hobbit »

Ouch, I can only hope they manage to sort it tomorrow. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed, thanks for the good news lol
The Old Hobbit

Post by The Old Hobbit »

Well, you were spot on, new tank, new injector, new sensor new new new...... but all done under warranty =D> =D> 6 codes logged, but I don't know what they are as its way too techie for me. Hopefully this will give me a few years of happy motoring.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Did they mention anything about the warranty incidentally? I know its only 27k miles, but 4 years old?

Also can you advise as to whether you personally top up the Adblue and if so how often? The reason being is that I top my Adblue tank up every 2-3 months as I like to keep it full with minimum opportunity for air to get in and cause the crystallisation reaction with the air. It used to be a cause with rust inside the metal components on the older tanks, so they have supposedly replaced more of the internals with plastic components to help prevent this.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
The Old Hobbit

Post by The Old Hobbit »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 16:27 Did they mention anything about the warranty incidentally? I know its only 27k miles, but 4 years old?

Also can you advise as to whether you personally top up the Adblue and if so how often? The reason being is that I top my Adblue tank up every 2-3 months as I like to keep it full with minimum opportunity for air to get in and cause the crystallisation reaction with the air. It used to be a cause with rust inside the metal components on the older tanks, so they have supposedly replaced more of the internals with plastic components to help prevent this.
To be fair to them, they did not hesitate to cover the repairs under the warranty. When I picked the car up the chappie said there where 6 recorded code warnings, all related to the same issue, he mentioned Adblu injectors and a couple of sensors as well as replacing the Adblu tank. They say they found a small coolant leak as well and would repair that under warranty when the parts arrive.

I have never used Adblu before and if I'm honest, never really thought about it. I have never filled my tank as the vehicle was supposedly serviced before I took delivery in June of this year and they told me they had done it and it would be good for 12'000 miles, so I have not looked. I would hope that there would be a dash warning if it needed topping up. Just waiting now for the parts to arrive, but does seem weird driving the car with a warning fault showing :shock: :shock:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The ad blue tankholds about 16 litres, which is good for about 12k miles in our similar car - 10 litres, which is the common refill size, gives about 8k miles. Originally the filler was behind the OS third row seat, but they moved it to the front inner of the seat, which is a right PITA to get to to fill it up! Ours is mid 2017 build, so I'm hoping it got the later tank, and we don't have to fork out for a new one soon!!
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Indeed!

@The Old Hobbit: Yes you will get a warning concerning the Adblue - it will come on at a certain level with a message. At some stage this will turn into a mileage 'countdown' if ignored each time you switch the ignition on / start the engine. If you don't top it up, before the countdown is reached, you will not be able to start the car - it's part of the EU regulations :roll:

But as said, I just top mine up regularly as I believe the less air in the tank, the better it will fare.

Also, be aware that Adblue topping up is not a standard service operation! This is a customer operation - much like screenwash :-D Of course they will do it and charge you if you ask for it or they may say they've done it and charge you the earth!

It's one reason why I always top up screen wash before I take it in for a dealer service as I hate being charged £5 a litre for the pleasure!

Marc
The Old Hobbit

Post by The Old Hobbit »

Well, they where true to their word in terms of works carried out under warranty. The work sheet shows a new Adblu tank, Adblu sensor and injector and for good measure they say there was a coolant leak which is now fixed. I have had the car back now for just on a week and fingers crossed, it has behaved itself. I checked that there was adblu in the tank when I picked the car up, but on closer inspection I think there is room to put some more in, I will do that this weekend. Many thanks for the comments and support and hopefully we are over the worse. Cheers everyone......
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great - thanks for the update and seems nearly £2k saved there.....

Marc
Bowden37
My Cars: C4 Picasso

Post by Bowden37 »

I had my adblue tank changed in 2019 but not the injectors. And the adblue light has come on again with an emissions warning I have added 10 litres of adblue and the light went of for a bit but has come back on. The Citroen dealer has it just needs new injectors. My fear is that I will have to pay for a new adblue tank as it’s out of warranty as it was fitted in 2019.

Should the tank fitted in 2019 be covered by an extended warranty as the dealership are telling me it’s only covered for one year?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is only one Urea Injector.

Once the tank has been replaced whether under the initial warranty or within the extended warranty for the tank, there is only a 12 month warranty going forward.

Hopefully it is just the injector.

Marc
LOONEYMAN
My Cars: 2017 citroen c4 grand picasso 2.0bluehdi

Post by LOONEYMAN »

i have a 2017 also and my eml light comes and goes when it feels like it. mine said oil pressure sensor- crank sensor- cam sensor ive repalced them all with genuine parts, and still ping ping ping its doing my head in anyone have an idea ?