Peugeot 208 - Sat Nav not picking Satellites in use

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Maradona
My Cars: Peugeot 208 1.6 eHDI (2012)

Peugeot 208 - Sat Nav not picking Satellites in use

Post by Maradona »

Hi guys.

I have a 2012 Peugeot 208 1.6 eHdi and recently my sat nav just star saying I'm in a totally different location. When I check my GPS coverage it comes up as Satellites visible: 11 and Satellites in use: 0

Any ideas how I can fix this? Do I need to replace my GPS aerial? A but strange as it has the satellites visible but not in use.

Thanks in advance.
carro.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Peugeot 208 - Sat Nav not picking Satellites in use

Post by GiveMeABreak »

First thing - you haven't mentioned which telematics system you have. If you're not sure pop your VIN up here (automasked on post submission) so I can see the system.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Maradona

Post by Maradona »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 16:13 First thing - you haven't mentioned which telematics system you have. If you're not sure pop your VIN up here (automasked on post submission) so I can see the system.
it's a SMEG with the software version 3.21.A.R.1

Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So this looks like the earlier SMEG system and you would appear to have the latest software on.

Have you recently disconnected the battery leads or replaced the battery?
Has this happened after a software update?

If so, this can require the GPS to lock onto the satellites again - and by that I don't mean the number visible with the car static - it needs to be driven for at least 10 minutes for the unit to calibrate.

If this is not the case, then you may have a faulty unit as the GPS hardware inside the unit may be faulty. If it is detecting the satellites it won't be an aerial or aerial connection issue, but more likely to be internal to the unit.

Marc
Maradona

Post by Maradona »

No, I haven't disconnected the battery leads, replaced the battery recently or updated the software.

It just happened from nowhere 2 weeks ago, so I've been driving a lot but still without showing any satellite in use.

So are you saying I'd have to replace my SMEG unit?

Thanks.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 25 Nov 2021, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Previous Post Quote
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I wanted to rule out possible known causes.

These now being confirmed as not the case, the next step would be a diagnostic of the unit which is done generally using Diagbox for possible clues. If it's the internal GPS unit that's on the fritz, then quite possibly the unit may need to be replaced. The charge for sending these off for refurbishment is quite expensive, but cheaper than a new replacement unit.

If you could manage to source a compatible second hand unit, you would still need the dealer to both code the VIN and configure the options of your specific vehicle into the Head Unit.

So you would need to consider the cost of a diagnostic with a dealer that may tell you the same thing or looking to getting a replacement and the subsequent configuration.

You might want to consider trying a BSI reset first though - as the SMEG units in common with other head units remain powered and can throw a wobbly ever so often. By performing a BSI reset, and paying specific attention to the timings, it might be worth a shot as it won't cost you anything. Procedure here:

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

After this, you would need to reinitialise your anti punch windows and go for a 10 minute drive as mentioned before regarding the satellites.

Marc
Maradona

Post by Maradona »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 13:27 I wanted to rule out possible known causes.

These now being confirmed as not the case, the next step would be a diagnostic of the unit which is done generally using Diagbox for possible clues. If it's the internal GPS unit that's on the fritz, then quite possibly the unit may need to be replaced. The charge for sending these off for refurbishment is quite expensive, but cheaper than a new replacement unit.

If you could manage to source a compatible second hand unit, you would still need the dealer to both code the VIN and configure the options of your specific vehicle into the Head Unit.

So you would need to consider the cost of a diagnostic with a dealer that may tell you the same thing or looking to getting a replacement and the subsequent configuration.

You might want to consider trying a BSI reset first though - as the SMEG units in common with other head units remain powered and can throw a wobbly ever so often. By performing a BSI reset, and paying specific attention to the timings, it might be worth a shot as it won't cost you anything. Procedure here:

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

After this, you would need to reinitialise your anti punch windows and go for a 10 minute drive as mentioned before regarding the satellites.
Hi. Sorry for the late reply.

I've done this and nothing change. More recently I noticed now it shows Satellites visible: 0 and Satellites in use: 0, so I suspect the GPS antenna is faulty.

Do you know where is located in my Peugeot 208 1.6 e-HDi 2012 and how I can change it? A tutorial wold be very helpfull.

Thanks for your hrelp.

Kind regards.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I suggest you first buy a cheap GPS aerial with fakra connector, for about £10 on ebay, then connect this in place of the GPS aerial at the back of the head unit, temporarily mount it on the dash and go for a drive for 10 minutes to allow satellite acquisition (sitting stationary won't work as the system triangulates with the vehicle moving). If after the drive you find you have satellites back, then you know it's the aerial somewhere from the back of the head unit to the back.

The aerial goes along the driver's side ceiling and should come out at the rear or the headlining on the left, then along to the centre where it's attached to an amplifier unit and then across the centre to the aerial base unit on the roof. So you will need to partially remove the rear of the headlining being careful to retain the tape. You may have a fault base unit where water ingress has caused corrosion.

If the temp aerial has made no difference, then you may have a faulty GPS unit inside the Head Unit.

Marc