New Car "ULEZ menace compatable"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

New Car "ULEZ menace compatable"

Post by oscar »

Hi been looking at way too many cars! Have an Xsara Piccaso so looking for that sort of type/size or bit bigger.
Noticed quite a few Picasso's have the sill rot disease and some sellers trying hide with coy camera angles! How much can you get away with on MOT?

Found quite a few C4 Grand Picasso's 1.6/1.8 what's the verdict on them? didn't find many 2 litres though! is that because smaller engines under powered?
Did look at a Xsara Picasso while back 2 litre petrol auto think Exclusive ie all the trinkets Road tax was high!
What model was the Grand Picasso with the sliding doors?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: New Car "ULEZ menace compatable"

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The grand Picasso was the slightly bigger version with the extra seating arrangement if you were the anything like the von Trapp family.

Xsara Picassos are ageing now, so maybe better to consider a later model like the C4 Picasso.

However, if you are considering one, I highly recommend a manual box or full automatic - don't get one of the robo gearboxes (EGS) / Piloted boxes as they can be very expensive to fault find and fix.

The 1.6 were adequate as they were more economical and could produce similar performance and were less to tax of course in many cases. Just keep the servicing up.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
oscar

Post by oscar »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 18:55 The grand Picasso was the slightly bigger version with the extra seating arrangement if you were the anything like the von Trapp family.

Xsara Picassos are ageing now, so maybe better to consider a later model like the C4 Picasso.

However, if you are considering one, I highly recommend a manual box or full automatic - don't get one of the robo gearboxes (EGS) / Piloted boxes as they can be very expensive to fault find and fix.

The 1.6 were adequate as they were more economical and could produce similar performance and were less to tax of course in many cases. Just keep the servicing up.
Hi yes many Xsaras i looked at was cosseted with the sill tin worm bug!
One thought looked ok but when checked it on plate scan had failed on both outer sills one was just recent yet couldn't see any repairs! which on a silver car is unusual and stated seat belt point and outer sill
Did find a C5 hatch back 1.8 124'miles for think £500 but i was looking for either estate or bigger really but C5's not bad but don't see many now around.

What is the Grand Picasso with sliding doors? someone was meant to be getting one as a scrapper that leccy handbrake was locked on.would be cheap as they was giving £270 and said wasn't looking for lots if it's ok.
But might be having a Vauxhall Zafira if friend find one looking at ok?

Two things ive noticed is insurance and tax varies like the deck of a yacht in a storm!
oscar

Post by oscar »

Well it looks like the Vauxhall is out as insurance is "Expensive" 3times what xsara is.
C4 grand picasso is ok though so how do i find or look for a decent one as read they do like to throw wobbles and codes at you!

07 C5 Hatchback well said was HB as some look like a booted saloon or is it my mince pies not working right? would it be later or earlier on 07? as read they had changed shell by then or that year but it's boot room i want so when go fishing etc can just tip inside rather than poke through dashboard etc as some of my rods have 8.6ft tips and main ones now are 7.5 ft plus need to get shed in(Shelter)which is shaped/designed to cause max hag when putting in vehicles! on xsara picasso it's just sort of between seats so tad longer would be out of way
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

C5 MK I (2001-2004) Hatchback & Estate
C5 MK II facelift (2004-2007) Hatchback & Estate
C5 X7 (MK III (2008-2016) Saloon (boot only) & Tourer (estate)

The MK III Saloon only has a 'ski flap' for you to load long items through from the boot, unless you fold the rear seats down. The difference being that a Saloon only has limited height to get items in through the boot as the loading area is fixed. whereas the hatchback lifts fully up providing full height access to the interior.

Marc
oscar

Post by oscar »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:13 C5 MK I (2001-2004) Hatchback & Estate
C5 MK II facelift (2004-2007) Hatchback & Estate
C5 X7 (MK III (2008-2016) Saloon (boot only) & Tourer (estate)

The MK III Saloon only has a 'ski flap' for you to load long items through from the boot, unless you fold the rear seats down. The difference being that a Saloon only has limited height to get items in through the boot as the loading area is fixed. whereas the hatchback lifts fully up providing full height access to the interior.
MOT almost out on C5 and did have a rack thing on Advisories last time on the ramps. So mindful there What is the 1.8 like? Are they different 1.6/1.8 between Xsara P/Grand P C4 and C5 as guess hard finding Manual in 2litre and any peaches between them etc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Having bought the Renault Zoe EV I'm contemplating selling my C5 Estate,
If anyone's interested, there's a lot about it on here starting with the thread 'On my walk' from when I acquired it about five years ago.
It won't be at a give away price though, has an mot until next November with no advisories, 87k miles, timing belt done at the main dealers last year.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
oscar

Post by oscar »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 10:16 Having bought the Renault Zoe EV I'm contemplating selling my C5 Estate,
If anyone's interested, there's a lot about it on here starting with the thread 'On my walk' from when I acquired it about five years ago.
It won't be at a give away price though, has an mot until next November with no advisories, 87k miles, timing belt done at the main dealers last year.
Hi i can't have as diesel not ULEZ compatible with Night Mayor for London's Edict! if one in your car list?
oscar

Post by oscar »

Just talking to a friend about C5's he asked why so manyC5 have vanished or scrapped so wondering what the issues are?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They don't make them anymore. The C5 MK I came out in 2001, was facelifted in 2004 (MK II) and was replaced in 2008 by the MK II (X7). The last MK IIIs (X7) rolled off in 2016.

So the early ones had an 8 year production run between the first 2 models and the same for the MK III. Parts are becoming an issue (especially for suspension pipes and struts) so this can be a problem, but may be the cause of a shortage of second hand vehicles that may be being bought up for spares or broken for spares.

Citroen dropped their hydraulic suspension system with the end of the C5 X7, so that was a killer for enthusiasts. The MK III C5 had its fair share of issues with failing steering racks that rusted up (plenty on that on the Forum), my C5 X7 was on its third rack in common with others here which did not help with reputation.

Marc
oscar

Post by oscar »

07 one had advisories on inner joints on rack!
Yes life is tough on some cars with short runs etc
How expensive are they to run esp if things go wrong/show codes compared to others mind some of the new ones like lights and codes it seems
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

An '07 wouldn't be the same steering rack issue as the MK III C5 which suffered from rusting pinions and seal deterioration necessitating replacement. The 07 one would likely be a standard driveshaft issue which is no different to any other car, so no specific 'C5' issue there.

Like anything, its all relative to how the car has been looked after and whether it has been fully serviced and maintained. Petrol C5s were not very popular and parts for these are probably going to be harder to find as they didn't make many due to the popularity of the diesels.

Petrols are making a comeback due to the climate alarmists telling us we're all going to die next week - when in fact modern diesels are very clean with the latest anti-pollution devices.

So if you must have a petrol, I'd suggest you look for something a bit more modern that will give you good MPG and get you past Mr Mayors ULEZ commandments.

Marc
oscar

Post by oscar »

Hi yes not sort of studied C5's as had gone to xsara after my Zantias but Night Mayor for London is just trying to increases funds naff all to do with pollution but brainwashed the unknowledgeables out there that scream if it's not all fluffy for them while they snout there oat milk lattes! Gee with have many of the Fruits around here