DIY with function over finesse!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: DIY with function over finesse!!

Post by Dormouse »

Well I was just thinking about Mick and Mrs Maverick and her Ejector Seat. So, this is what happens when you cannot kneel down.

1634297079337.jpg
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

I ended up with this.
1634297131643.jpg
1634297131653.jpg
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I like the look of that, just wondering if it could double up as a clay launcher for a spot of summer shooting? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

It is funny that you mention that. It can just about do all of that. I just have to fight the grandkids for it when they are here.

1634308499584.jpg
1634308499600.jpg

Fully adjustable with heat and massage in the back, seat and leg support and all built into the chair. The black memory foam cushion cover is now just a removable/washable cover, as all the parts from two massage seat covers are now integrated in the seat as are 3 lumbar air cushions.
This is my second Massage Ejector Chair and has had all of these extras fitted to improve on the first one. Love it! My back and legs love it too!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Following the subject being raised on Zel's blog I thought I'd post up these pictures which do demonstrate my belief in Shell VPower. The first picture is an extract from a report documenting the expected consumptions of various cars and the second a snapshot of my car's trip computer readings 5 minutes ago. I use the left A side for each tankful while the right B figures cover the entire period of my ownership since 9th March this year. Hopefully you will see my point well made!! :-D
BFTW
BFTW
Own work
Own work
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Following Gibbo's discovery I thought I'd check the nearside headlight on the MX3 which I had difficulty in getting high enough to pass the MOT. So I had a quick look and confirmed that the bulb was in the right way round but as I checked the connection I realised that the whole inner part of the lamp which is basically the adjustable part was flopping around.
The only way to look at the issue is to remove the headlight and take the lens off allowing access to the mounting for the inner shield. Easier said than done!! :cry:
I soon discovered that the bumper had to come off to gain access to the bottom mounting for the headlamp so I set about removing the screws and clips connecting the bumper to the inner wing and outer wing in order to allow me to pull one side forward enough to reveal the bolt. Having removed 6 I reached the 7th and final connection only to discover it was rusted solid. Much teasing and coaxing followed but it only delayed the entry of the angle grinder to the scene. Luckily I was able to use a very thin cutting disc through the seam and simply cut the rusted screw in half for replacement later.
A little more fettling and the bumper came forward enough for the job and I managed to remove the lower mounting bolt on the headlamp. It was a real pain to actually get the lamp out of the car with just microns to play with at each end and both sidess. Once out I realised the glass is glued to the front of the headlamp body and it will be a heat job to remove it, :twisted: :twisted: However once able to invert the unit and look into the back through the bulb aperture I could clearly see that the mounting post for the right side of the reflector has crumbled and is no longer maintaining the reflector in the correct position so trying to adjust it was a pointless exercise!! Given the heat fitted lens and the post needing complete rebuilding I have decided to try and source a replacement unit. There are a couple of possibles on the bay of sin at the moment, one of which seems ideal and not outrageously expensive. I have posted my needs on the MX3 owners club site but if I have no luck by Sunday I will order the ebay option. Watch this space! :-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 12 Nov 2021, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

While searching for my replacement headlamp, which is now on the way, I began wondering how the inner reflector had become detached with the crumpled mounting post and then :idea: of course, it must have been a secondary damage from my incident with the Audi which broke my wheels!

At the time I checked all the suspension bars and links for kinks etc and found nothing and as the car drove as before I dismissed any further need for investigation once I had sourced the new wheels!

So with that thought in mind I have just been out and looked at the surrounding area of the headlight to discover a very slight upturn in the front valance below the headlight. It was that which may have made removing the unit so difficult so I have now straightened it and hopefully the new lamp will slip in much more easily!!

I don't really know if I am barking up the right tree but at least I am happy to accept it as a bona fide explanation for the crumpled post. I hardly ever used the car after dark between the incident and the MOT so I had not noticed the low light pattern!! :-D
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Unnoticed damage after a minor accident. :)
One of my old mates Ted, was driving his Austin 12 in the jewellery quarter in Brum, shunted lightly from behind, had a discussion with the other driver looked for damage and could see none, The other driver said sorry and wet on his way,
Ted got back in his car started it and got a big roar from under the bonnet, the shunt had been on the end of his exhaust and had broken the cast iron manifold in half. :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I am pleased to report that the replacement headlight slipped into place quite easily. The bottom bolt is a real rascal but working through the sidelight aperture with 1/4 inch flexidrive and 10mm socket got the job done. I drilled out the stump from the rusted bolt I had to cut then rustproofed the hole and installed a new self tapper to secure the bumper.
A quick test drive last night confirmed the new light needed tweaking to line it up which meant a trip to my lamp lineup close where you can park squarely in front of a brick wall and use the bricks to calibrate the beams. I had my adjuster (8mm socket on long extension) with me and it took a couple of minutes to get it sorted. Another job I wasn't expecting sorted!! :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I have added another car to my maintenance fleet today which I'm pleased to say is a Citroen so there will be jobs on it coming as time goes by!!
BFTW
BFTW
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

That's odd Neil!! Hopefully you have misread the reg because the car is a Picasso VTX and the MOT history checks out to be 61000 miles. Here is a full frontal for you to confirm:
BFTW
BFTW
Guesses as to the price are invited? :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Deleted the faux pas Mick!

Looks good.
mickthemaverick wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 18:51 That's odd Neil!! Hopefully you have misread the reg because the car is a Picasso VTX and the MOT history checks out to be 61000 miles. Here is a full frontal for you to confirm:
Oops! read the reg as PJ56KNA instead of . By coincidence both are Citroen Xsara Picasso's.

So the vital statistics appear to be

A Shade of Grey
CITROEN XSARA PICASSO VTX 16V 2006
1587cc
ULEZ currently exempt
61000 miles

What's the market rate for the car Mick?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I don't actually know the current CAP or Parkers figures but this car has just had a cam belt and water pump replacement, full service, 12 months MOT, 6 months warranty, has the original shopping box and torch in the boot and is pretty immaculate throughout other than one pinhead ding on offside front wing, no paint damage. MOT history checks out the 61000 miles and all the tyres are good to excellent. So it was advertised for £1995 and we got it for £1900. Drives beautifully so I think a result!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Oops again my logic was way out :-D
mickthemaverick wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 18:51 Guesses as to the price are invited? :-D
Back in 2015 I bought a 13 year old 2002 Picasso 2.0 HDi for £700. 100,000 miles and decent condition. Had it not been annihilated by a glow plug, I may well have still been driving around in it.

So the 2006 in question is now a 15 year old car, less miles and equally decent if not better condition.

If we are to believe the "used car hyper inflation" and it being down South I think you would have done well to get it under £1,000.

About as close as I'm going to get.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Just checked the book prices and it is quoted as £1400 private market £1750-1995 dealer price so we were in the range. I think the new pump and belt, service and warranty make the extra over the private price worthwhile in this case, especially as the car lives almost 100 miles from me the warranty may prove handy for minor issues. :)