Berlingo - P1352 - Error code cannot be cleared - No solution for months

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GabslHabsl
My Cars: Citroen Berlingo 2.0 HDI

Berlingo - P1352 - Error code cannot be cleared - No solution for months

Post by GabslHabsl »

Hello dear French Car Community!

I have a huge problem and not even the official Citroën workshop can really help me.
There is a short version at the end of the post.

I've been plagued by the check engine light and an error code for months.
It all started two months after buying my used Citroën Berlingo HDI 2.0 BJ2003 with now 190,000 KM.
The check engine light came on.

When the check engine light comes on, the car goes into an emergency program and has reduced power. Maximum speed is about 110 kmh and that takes a while on the motorway.
What is exciting here is that the indicator light does not light up for the first 5 - 10 minutes (during the day) after starting and the original or actual engine power is given. As soon as the light goes out and the beep comes, the power is gone.

The ÖAMTC (Austrian Automobile Club) ran the diagnostic programme and found that the glow plugs (or at least one of them) were defective.
So I went to my mechanic, took out all the glow plugs and put in new ones.
But he couldn't clear the error code.
He tried everything.

Then I went to the ÖAMTC again and they tried it too.
And none of them knew what the problem was, they said the preheater relay could have something wrong with it.
So I bought a new relay, went back to my trusted mechanic and replaced the relay.
And again - the error code cannot be deleted and I try the ÖAMTC again.
(My mechanic lives far away from me, so I go to the ÖAMTC for diagnosis, as they are in the neighbourhood).
This time, three of them looked at it, but none of them could explain the problem.

So a few days later I drove to an official Citroën partner and the mechanic was busy almost the whole day.
He checked and cleaned all the contacts, tested the relay, put in new glow plugs (although new ones had just been fitted) etc.
He also wrote to colleagues from other Citroën workshops (in an internal forum), who all knew no solution either.
And last but not least, he sent an email to Citroën in France, who didn't know what to do either.
The mechanic and his colleagues on the internet then said that it could only be the engine control unit.

I went to about 7 different mechanics and none of them knew what to do.

Now, after some googling and a previous tip from the Citroën mechanic, I found out that you can have control units repaired.
Now I have removed the engine control unit to find out the model and written to a few "experts". At the moment, I haven't received any helpful feedback.

Do any of you know this problem?
Have you ever had a similar experience?
Who else can I turn to?

Unfortunately, I really don't know what to do any more and I'm already at the end of my tether as far as the car is concerned.
I'm a student and have put all my savings into it.

Thanks to all of you!
Best regards
GabslHabsl

Short version:
On my Citroën Berlingo, the engine control light is on (almost) permanently and the error code P1352 cannot be cleared. As soon as the light comes on and the beep comes, the car switches to an emergency programme with reduced power. The first 5-10 minutes of the day after starting the engine, the car runs without reduced power and the light does not come on yet.

The glow plugs and the preheating relay have already been replaced, but still the error code cannot be cleared. After a lot of thinking, testing and trying by a mechanic in an official Citroën workshop, he was able to rule out all faults and only said that it must be the engine control unit.

The check engine light came on about 2 months after I bought the used car, I haven't found any short circuit or anything in the time since I've had the car that could have damaged the ECU. It occurred very suddenly.

Now, after doing some research, I found out that you can have a control unit repaired and wrote to a few experts.

Do any of you know this problem?
Have you ever had a similar experience?
Who else can I turn to?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Berlingo - P1352 - Error code cannot be cleared - No solution for months

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can't add any more than you have already been told. P1352 is diagnosed as a Fault on the pre-postheating relay circuit: Relay not controlled / plugs controlled.

If Citroen have checked the relay and replaced the plugs themselves, then there's nothing I personally can add unfortunately. Maybe somebody else here has some suggestions.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

P1352 shouldn't put it into limp mode; suggests something else is going on. These are pretty simple by modern diesel standards, there's no DPF, EGR feedback, turbo feedback etc. You need to get into to the live data to see what the readings of air flow, throttle position, turbo pressure, etc are against the reference values. At least if it is doing it consistently there's a chance you will be able to see something amiss!
Richard W
pablo95
My Cars: C4 B7 1.6e-HDi 115 Semi-Auto

Post by pablo95 »