Fuel feed issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MixerFistit
Donor 2023
My Cars: C8 2.2.hdi (6 seat Exc) van/can

Mk1 Dispatch 06 Face lift - 2.0 HDI - RHZ (resting)

Fuel feed issue

Post by MixerFistit »

Bit of a long post but I need to give background as may flag up something I've done.
My xpic 1.6 hdi (9HXC) has a fuel feed issue after I replaced the EGR valve.
The fault actually began prior to replacement but immediately after I disturbed the old one.
Car will idle for about 20 mins and then die with an empty primer. Sounds like it's missing when idling and depending on whether the car initiates a fault drives in reduced power mode (2800 rpm max)

Trouble is I dont know if I've awakened an electrical issue or caused a physical issue.
Originally the car was slightly rough idling (prior to any fiddling) with stuck egr according to lexia, I took the electronic half off to check after I had to abort a full removal until my clamp remover arrived. The electronic section clearly had a problem as it wouldn't rotate correctly, I even took the lid off to check the spring and it struggled to rotate even then, very lumpy feeling. So I reassembled until I could fit the new egr (no clicks when testing it in lexia before or after fiddling).
In the meantime, I suffered the first signs of fuel issues, car would drive fine but idle horribly until it warmed and run itself dry when idling.
I can't remember the exact fault but along with the expected egr faults, there was a voltage issue on. The fuel rail and after some searching I found a few posts that advised the egr shared power and that guy even described the same lumpy rotation of the egr actuator.

At this point, I disconnected the egr power and the car ran as before I started messing about. Little puff of smoke on cold start, nothing too abnormal, little rough on the idle until it warms and then fine.

Fast forward a few days and I swap the egr valve and bring back the fuel issue along with it. At this point I realise the old egr was in reasonably good condition for a 100k mile car, definitely been swapped or cleaned before (also missing the gasket was a sign).

When the car starts and for about 30s after switch off, and if I put the ignition on I can hear the usual high pitch whine but also a crackling/whirring sound near where the high pressure valve sits by the egr pipe on the left of the engine, I can't tell if it's electrical arcing or liquid slurping like you get when you run out of drink with a straw.

BTW The fuel filter was replaced about 400 miles ago and I didn't remove it again to replace egr, just placed it off to the side as there was enough room in the picasso engine bay.

So, have I somehow introduced a leak when moving the filter? (no evidence of leaks)

Has connecting a functioning egr valve upset some weakness on that circuit caused by the old faulty actuator which is now affecting the fuel rail?

Has the valve simply failed hence the noise, or is it just noisy because of a fault further back and it's gasping for a drink?

Only 3 faults on lexia and the first one has always been there and I'm assuming is just dodgy glowplugs, the other two are new faults:
1. Preheating relay circuit relay supplied and plugs never supplied

2. Fuel high pressure regulation pressure below reference
P0087
1702 rpm
diesel pressure 580
limited pressure 980
flow 21 mm3/s
voltage 2098 mv

3. Fuel high pressure regulation pump regulation electro valve opens less than the setting
P0093
1702 rpm
DP 266
DLP 792
21 mm3/s
2117 mv

Extra info I should probably have included: the car takes an extra turn or two to turnover whereas before it was almost instant. Priming prior to starting the car has no affect on the turnover speed and when the car drives off it'll lose power within half a mile. The primer will be empty. Priming without switching the ignition off after stalling will not allow a restart but priming then turning key off and on will restart the car, it'll go into reduced power but then drive fine for at least 15 miles so presumably it's stabilised itself at that point
2005 C8 2.2 HDI 4HW - 6 Seat, Exclusive

2006 Dispatch 2.0 HDi RHZ (SORN)
MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Re: Fuel feed issue

Post by MixerFistit »

The rapid clicking from the regulator area has now stopped, the car has come out of reduced power mode and turns over immediately on starting, idling seems pretty good too, no shuddering on start up and there used to be a little run on which has also stopped.
So looks like it's somehow righted itself.
Only glow plugs which I'm leaving alone, find out why there's no seat belt warnings when unplugged (in case that's affecting my airbags) and try to stop the annoying chirping from the seats squeaking!

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is a technical bulletin regarding these 2 fault codes appearing simultaneously which can lead to stalling and / or trouble starting as well as during driving.

Cause is lack of fuel pressure in the fuel high pressure common rail.

They recommend checking when the fuel filter was last changed and actioning as that can contribute to issues with the low pressure fuel circuit.

Check whether the vehicle’s mileage is close to a service interval at which replacement of the fuel filter is recommended, every 60 000 km (37,000 miles).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

Interesting there's a tech bulletin for it, was there any advice should the symptom persist after a filter change?
I like to start from scratch with cars so I changed the filter shortly after purchase along with the other filters and oil approx 6 weeks/400 miles ago. It was either a Mann or Bosch from ECP. I did have a cutout shortly after replacing it but after "gliding" (at 60 mph in 5th) for about 1/4 mile on a dual carriage way the engine kicked back to life. At the time, I put it down to not priming enough and it spitting out an air bubble or two as the issue never came back, but now I wonder if that was the first sign. Maybe the filter is just a bad one and moving it to access the egr disturbed something. It's driving like new now so I won't upset anything unless I have to but I think I'll buy a filter and keep it in the boot for emergencies. It's the sealed type on the right of the block, so uncharacteristically, it's incredibly easy to change.

I never did find the cause of the crackling sound, but I did record it on video by moving my phone around to the back of the engine and it definitely comes (came) from the area of the HP pump (even if just on ignition with engine off). If it's of interest to anyone I can post it somewhere if it's allowed

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

All I can say on that is ECP are horrendous - even their branded parts are questionable - there are so many here that won't use them including myself who had 3 returns out of 3 parts - dead on arrival, damaged broken / faulty.

As for your videos - we can show YouTube videos directly - so if you upload it to your YouTube account if you have one, then just post the video URL link in your post, it will display straight away once submitted.

Marc
MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

Thanks for the tip, do you have a personal preference for parts?

Anyway the link is here, it's sorted at the moment but I'm sure it'll be of use to someone (maybe me in few days!)

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Main Dealer original parts, or Main Dealer recommended parts that are also offered as alternatives, or decent branded parts from reputable suppliers like

https://www.eurocarcare.net/
https://www.eurorepar.com/GB-en/ (owned by PSA / Stallantis)
https://spareto.co.uk/

Marc
pablo95
My Cars: C4 B7 1.6e-HDi 115 Semi-Auto

Post by pablo95 »

Hello, i have the same issue i guess.
I had P1352 something for glowplugs or glowplugs relay. The car was starting normaly without any problems at all. So i was deleting the fault code with FAP and it was poppin every second day. I used to do it for a month maybe, before 4 days, while driving and pressing gas pedal a little harder, i got ESP and check engine light. the car went to safe mode and it wasnt revving to 3000+rpms. connected the obd2 and i got P0087 fault . deleted the fault and when home to eat something, after 30 minutes i took the car for a test drive. drive it hard with 3,000++ and it didnt go to safe mode again, tried pumping the fuel filter and i thought i fixed it.
So, 2 days later while driving again, the same thing. the car went to safe mode and p0087 ! dont know that to do. the temperatures are aroud -3° - 0° at night and 10°+ at daytime. fuel filter was changed before 9,000kms and its Bosch.