306 wipers

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

306 wipers

Post by froggy »

Hi, we had a new windscreen fitted on the 306. the wipers now only work on one setting, we no longer have the intermitant or fast setting. will changing the wiper stalk/ lever resolve this? or do we need to replace the winscreen again! cheers Terry. :oops:
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 306 wipers

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't have your VIN for your 6=306, but I suspect you will have had a rain sensor fitted.

These are well known to fail on windscreen replacement where the same sensor is refitted. The sensor gel pack can become milky or opaque and this affects the wiper speeds, especially the intermittent when set to auto as it can't properly detect the rain falling.

If this is the case, have a look closely at the sensor and see if you can see any opaqueness. If you had the windscreen replacement done on your insurance, get in touch and tell them they've stuffed the rain sensor since replacement. They should have insurance for this sort of thing.

I had to do the same on my C5 X7 - although its a more complicated multi-function sensor, I had them replace it. I ordered the part which was over £240 and got them to pay for it. They sent the fitter back out and they initially tried to show it was working, by chucking water over the sensor - but I proved otherwise when I told him mine has 19 speed settings and it was clearly mot working with light rain using a spray gun. You could see the gel pad, once removed, never goes back on again - it's like trying to re-use sellotape once you've peeled it off - it goes all opaque.

If you need the part number, just shout, but they are mega bucks, circa £311.78 with UK VAT. But I'll confirm with your VIN if necessary Terry.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Shredder11

Post by Shredder11 »

Are there any differences between the rain sensors fitted on a 306 Phase 2 vs Phase 3? My previous Ph3 worked very effectively on the auto setting, but my current Ph2 is not so good at reacting to changing rain levels. The glass is probably original as it is chipped and repaired at the sides but not around the sensor.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is only the 306 and the 306 Restyle models listed by Citroen and only the 306 Restyle has the Rain Sensor and it is the same part for all 306 restyle versions. The Phase 2 and 3 are slight variations of the 306 Restyle, and although cosmetically slightly different, share the same sensor.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc