Heat Pumps, One for the engineers

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Heat Pumps, One for the engineers

Post by Peter.N. »

The problem at the moment is that although they do have some efficiency they use the dearest fuel available! Electricity is around 23p per Kwh at present, my oil fired boiler delivers it at about 6p per Kwh.

Peter
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

It's interesting, or possibly deadly dull !, to reflect on the brouhaha over the price per MW/h that the government struck with EDF over the Hinkley C nuclear plant electricity production. The deal was struck at £92MW/h. Current 'forward delivery' prices in the UK are hovering around £80 MW/h, with 'day ahead' prices over £100 MW/h. Perhaps those negotiators knew better than most the general direction of travel for wholesale electricity prices :-k
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Sloppysod wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 11:44 According to this "FullyChargedPlus+" contribution, Heat pumps for homes are old hat and not efficient enough, and as for being environmentally friendly it depends on where your electricy from?

I used Jigsaw's HEAT CALCULATOR for our Porch and this is what they estimate-
Opera Snapshot_2021-10-15_164101_www.jigsawinfrared.com.png
Opera Snapshot_2021-10-15_164132_www.jigsawinfrared.com.png
This ties in with our experiences with no wind chill or drafts.
I used the Mediocre Insulation option as it is more realistic for people with similar porches to ours. We would have been around 500 according to their calculator.
Wind chill can easily double and treble this heat requirement so take a lot of care estimating your requirements.
Last edited by Dormouse on 15 Oct 2021, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Panels like these have been available for years. Infrared wall and ceiling bars/tubes have been in sports halls and changing rooms for a very long time now. Another Amazing New Discovery that has been under our noses.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

If you apply this to putting dry or wet floor heating systems into the ceiling then you can achieve similar results. I have seen videos from POLAND that show underfloor wet piping being installed in an insulated and reflective lined ceiling behind a lightweight skin. I have been planning our home fittings for years now and this is not news to me. But it does work and with the automated controls available now, they make a lot of sense for flats for instance. A guest bedroom, games room, whatever, virtually instant heat and minimal installation issues, no loss of wall space so furniture placement is easy. This was a main reason why we put it in our Porch ceiling.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Dormouse wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 16:49 Panels like these have been available for years. Infrared wall and ceiling bars/tubes have been in sports halls and changing rooms for a very long time now. Another Amazing New Discovery that has been under our noses.
I was looking for one of those bathroom heaters which I remember from my childhood. Was going to put it up on the "Remember these" thread.

Quite a pleasing shape sort of an elongated elispse with either one bar or two bars and a shiny reflective back and probably some sort of metal grill at the front but I'm sure the determined could still poke a finger through :-D
Can anyone come up with an image of such a thing :?:
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

I know I am known for being Parsimonious, so I am going to confirm this point by comparing what I paid for ours to the list price on Jigsaw's website.
Jigsaw list their basic aluminium 800w panel at £595 ex works. I bought our 3 panels for less than £200 delivered. So, now that these panels have become "mainstream" you can see the mark up involved. Just south of £1600 for the privilege. 4 years ago since I bought ours!!!!!
LOML was Very Sceptical when I wanted to buy them but now that they are fitted she loves them and can't stop telling people how wrong she was when we have people in the Porch at Christmas or New Year.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I remember exactly the one you are referring to Neil with the pull cord switch on the end. However the nearest pictures I can find are of two Dimplex models from the 60's: :-D
BFTW
BFTW
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Further to those two we have one in our downstairs loo which I converted from the old front porch when I moved in with SWMBO. I originally bought it and fitted it in my garden office in 1983 and then have had it with me ever since moving out of that house in Watford. It is still performing excellently when needed!! :-D
Own work
Own work
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

When we bought our panels the type shown below was available at similar prices shown today. If you shop around and do a bit of homework then you too could get Infrared Panels for a reasonable price and installation is simple and relatively cheaply.
Attachments
Opera Snapshot_2021-10-15_180513_www.ebay.co.uk.png
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

This mirror is combined with a 400w infrared heater and is ideal in place of a normal small heater/radiator. Space saving but no use for towels.
Opera Snapshot_2021-10-15_185131_www.google.com.png
But you can get an infrared panel with an oil filled towel rail as well to fit on a wall at radiator level or a roof mounted plain panel with a side lit led light.
If you do your homework there are all sorts of infrared panels available.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I came across another modern installation of the single bar infrared heaters today. I stopped at a local hostelry for a swift lunch and was delighted to discover their new outdoor space: :)
Own work
Own work
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Found this article which ties in with the current Government TV Ads for reducing Boiler temperatures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64261457

I currently run my boiler at a tad under 60 C ( 2 years now ) and it works well in all the conditions we have experienced this winter so, maybe I already have my system close to Heat Pump ready without planning it that way.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Our friends have a heat pump in their new build (about 3 years old now) and they said the heat output is pretty derisory. It packed up over Christmas and they had to wait to get an engineer out to sort it - something had failed electrically, I didn't ask the cost, but they're not exactly fanatical about them, having to subsidise the hot water with an electric immersion heater....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

He's got heat meters fixed to the pipework. Room temperature monitors. And gadgets tracking how much electricity his solar panels are generating.

The jewel in the crown of this system, though, is a recently installed heat pump.

"It's like a geek's paradise, really," says Mick Wall of his 1930s semi-detached house in Sheffield.

Mr Wall, who works in IT, has made a hobby out of monitoring his household energy consumption and honing his heat pump's performance in a dogged pursuit of maximum efficiency.

The UK government has set a target of 600,000 heat pump installations per year by 2028.
Heat pumps: The 'geeks' obsessing over their new heating systems