Black smoke?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewFrenchCarOwner
My Cars: Citroen C5 HDi 2001 Exclusive

Black smoke?

Post by NewFrenchCarOwner »

Hi friends, i have a Citroen C5 HDi 2001 Exclusive.
I washed my engine bay today after a couple of hours i started the car everything was ok, i went put for a test run (the car was parked for 7 years and 8’ve bought it) so it started failing (it was ok before i washed the engine bay) the car wasn’t picking up speed it was limited to 2.500 rpms, and when it was shifting speeds black smoke was coming out (only on high rpms) so i popped the hood and found a injector plug loose, now the car is driving kinda normal but i have the black smoke and the engine sometimes sounds really rough and that particular diesel engine noise super loud.
Any recommendations?
Datadogie
My Cars: 2009 Citroen picasso exlusive satnav

Re: Black smoke?

Post by Datadogie »

How loose was the injector. Maybe, if too loose, the bouncing has damaged the seal at the bottom. Might be a good idea for a new kit.
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Post by Doo »

NewFrenchCarOwner wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 00:23 Hi friends, i have a Citroen C5 HDi 2001 Exclusive.
I washed my engine bay today after a couple of hours i started the car everything was ok, i went put for a test run (the car was parked for 7 years and 8’ve bought it) so it started failing (it was ok before i washed the engine bay) the car wasn’t picking up speed it was limited to 2.500 rpms, and when it was shifting speeds black smoke was coming out (only on high rpms) so i popped the hood and found a injector plug loose, now the car is driving kinda normal but i have the black smoke and the engine sometimes sounds really rough and that particular diesel engine noise super loud.
Any recommendations?
Black smoke usually means too much fuel, not enough air...Look for loose or collapsed intercooler pipe or worse, a hole in the intercooler itself. If it's sat all that time it may have corroded and a blast from a pressure washer could have put a hole through it.
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
NewFrenchCarOwner
My Cars: Citroen C5 HDi 2001 Exclusive

Post by NewFrenchCarOwner »

Thanks i will check it out