Xsara Picasso engine fault msg and EML when hot

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JBES
My Cars: 2011 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 HDI 92CV (N68) DV6ATED4

Xsara Picasso engine fault msg and EML when hot

Post by JBES »

Hi all,

I have dropped into the forums on occasion in the past to look for advice with my mother's 2011 Xsara Picasso but have only now joined.

A new issue has suddenly appeared on the car after a 200km airport run (I'm based in Spain) whereby just after arriving back, the EML lit up and it showed the "Engine fault" message. After about 2 hours I had to use it again and the warnings were still on but after leaving it overnight the warnings went and have not come back on, this was 5 days ago.

With most of my cars previously when they have faulted like this when hot it has been the crankshaft position sensor.

My quick questions are whether this is likely the problem, would this throw this engine warning, and if I should change the engine speed sensor, low down behind the timing belt at the same time?

Thanks in advance.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Xsara Picasso engine fault msg and EML when hot

Post by wheeler »

The engine speed & position info from the crank sensor is required for the engine to run. The engine would likely have cut out if the crank sensor was faulty or at the very least started hesitating if it was an intermittent issue. Don't change any parts until you get a diagnostic check done unless you want to throw away money.
JBES

Post by JBES »

Thanks Wheeler, however if I'm not very mistaken I'm pretty sure that a Peugeot 306 I had about 10 years ago suffered from a faulty CPS and it would run and then go into limp, it just wouldn't start again once the ignition was switched off until it cooled down. This happened when I got stopped at police checkpoint once and it wouldn't start again for 15 minutes causing a lot of problems as it blocked the road and we had to push it out of the way. And then basically the same with an old '99 Mercedes which I had to get towed as it was parked in a less than ideal place. Replacing the sensor in each case solved the problems.

I ask about the speed sensor as I understand they're directly connected.

I do understand about getting a diagnostic but the cost is an issue as I would need to go to a main dealer and the two sensors work out way cheaper.

I would be willing to invest in a reader and have read here about EasyDiagnostics but shipping and import costs now to Spain would add at least €50 on top.

Can anyone recommend a cheapish reader that has as much functionality as possible that I can buy in Europe?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You are describing a different fault, the 306 you are talking about would not start, as far as i can tell your current car has no starting issues or even running problems??. Yes (inductive type) crank sensors are known to fail when hot then start working again once cooled down. The crank sensor fitted to your car is a hall effect type sensor, in general they dont behave like that although not impossible. Also whether the crank sensor is needed for the engine to run depends on the engine & injection system fitted, on some older cars the crank sensor is only used for timing adjustment or to operate the rev counter. On your vehicle the crank sensor is needed for the engine to run, if the ECU lost the crank sensor signal the engine would cut out.
You dont need to go to a dealer for diagnostics, any half decent garage should have adequate equipment to do this.

EDIT: Just to confirm, are we talking about the car in your signature? I just noticed you are talking about your mothers car & not sure if this is the same one?
JBES

Post by JBES »

It is the Xsara Picasso in my info, yes. It did run but in limp mode until the error cleared itself after being left overnight.

In this case I will have to investigate further into buying a code reader. Unfortunately, where I am the only reliable option is to go the dealer for a diagnostic.

Thank you for your time and help.