Xsara Picasso dashboard fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MixerFistit
Donor 2023
My Cars: C8 2.2.hdi (6 seat Exc) van/can

Mk1 Dispatch 06 Face lift - 2.0 HDI - RHZ (resting)

Xsara Picasso dashboard fault

Post by MixerFistit »

Been a while since I've had a xsara picasso. Couldn't even reset my old logins here lol.

Well... help! I've been fiddling getting an old Xpic up to a decent standard and while overconfidently replacing the dashboard lights something appears to have gone wrong.

Most of the warning lamps are stuck on, and although the two panels are dim they are back lit. None of the buttons work and the fuel, odometer, engine temp and speedometer are all blank.
I don't believe the warning lamps are a genuine indicator of problems, they seem to just represent the display being stuck in a kind of safe mode..the clock updates itself but cannot be programmed.

So, Oops..

The car starts OK thankfully and a diagnostic says BSI has lost comms with control panel etc as expected.

I can see these units can be sent in for repair and there's also cheap replacement ones on ebay.

So I'm wondering, does anyone know if there's a certain suspect component that needs replacing on the display board, I'm competent at soldering components even with 10s of legs, and if not can I just chuck in a replacement display with a like for like part number (I've noticed there are several).

If I have to replace it, does anyone know if they always need reprogramming as I've read elsewhere and if so can I do it myself with DB/Lexia or is it an off the server job for a dealer.

Thanks for reading this far lol
2005 C8 2.2 HDI 4HW - 6 Seat, Exclusive

2006 Dispatch 2.0 HDi RHZ (SORN)
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Xsara Picasso dashboard fault

Post by wheeler »

Programming not really needed, its only really the service intervals.
Remember if you get a used panel if it has a higher milage it will permanently write the higher mileage to your BSI.
There are also 2 different types of panels, early ones without com2000 & later ones with com2000. They cant be interchanged. Im guessing yours will be a com2000 model being a 1.6 HDi.
Out of curiosity does this car have an aftermarket radio fitted?
Have you tried a BSI reset?
MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

Hi thanks. I tried a bsi rest to no avail. I'm not really concerned with mileage as I got it fairly cheap (considering the ridiculous used market at the moment) and will probably run it to its death.

Funny you should mention the radio. It came with a kenwood haphazardly installed**. The display was functioning OK before I tried to change the bulbs tho (obvs no radio display).
I don't suppose you're going to tell me there's some magic the original radio can do to bring the display back!? I do have my old RD3 from my long scrapped xpic maybe I should try reprogramming it with lexia first?

**I found my old connects2 module which also switched the lives around and radio and stalk control works fine. It comes on whenever the bsi is woken but I'm happy to keep that 'feature' I can always run it to the 12v socket if need be.

Edit
Oh forgot to say, yeah my dash is the single connector type which seems to be the most popular on ebay, but there's still a few part numbers so was only concerned with if it had to be a very specific match

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You REALLY want to get the right type of radio in there. The PSA Group vehicles have highly integrated electronics, and the radio makes up a major (display) part of this. I would visit a scrappy and see if you can get one from them.

I know somebody who replaced the radio in their 206 with a Kenwood unit, and my Lexia cannot 'see' certain equipment, including the display.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

I'll dig out the RD3 and see if I can program it in.
Only thing is I seem to remember there's a few different brands of the same model so not sure if there's a way of determining which one was in there originally (or maybe it doesn't matter once it's keyed?)

I actually have 2, one is off a C4 Pic mk1 with MP3 readability, the other is off an Xpic 57 plate which looked the same but couldn't read mp3 discs. Clarion I think it was

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 15:45 I know somebody who replaced the radio in their 206 with a Kenwood unit, and my Lexia cannot 'see' certain equipment, including the display.
If this was happening then this will be due to an incorrectly fitted aftermarket radio. The only thing Lexia should not be able to see is the radio unit, it will also log faults in the instrument panel communication with the radio. If this bothers you you can just un program the radio from the BSI & you dont get these fault codes.
There is no reason why this Picasso (or the 206 you are talking about) cant have an aftermarket stereo as long as it is fitted correctly. Of course you will loose the trip computer function & the steering remote controls (although adaptor leads are available for this).
As for the original fault, the next thing i would do is don't bother yet trying to refit a different stereo, Just disconnect the stereo & carry out another BSI reset & see what happens first.
MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

Will do.
Just to check, can I omit the remote fob pairing part that the guides all seem to have for BSI reset.
I'm not having any issues with central locking so don't want to unnecessarily risk messing up the pairing process of that

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Most of the time the remote central locking stops working after the battery is disconnected, if there was no issues with it before you shouldn’t have any trouble re syncing it.
If you are worried about doing this you could always try just disconnect the stereo then locking the car for 5 minutes to let the BSI power down, this may work but if not you really need to disconnect the battery first before any other diagnostics.
MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

Unfortunately no difference with the display, (radio currently disconnected), so I've ordered a replacement.
I must've damaged or upset a component when I removed it a second time to replace all bulbs as one of the old 'good' bulbs had blown after the first attempt as seems to be common.
I can't be sure but I bet I've plugged in the display while the bsi was awake after opening a door. I'm assuming if car starts and runs then the bsi itself is probably OK?

In unrelated news, and at the risk of derailing my own thread.. I was going to look at programming in my old xpic radio. Lexia (via diagbox) connected and I realised that after my fresh install I had forgot to change the language from french. I shut down lexia and then diagbox and disconnected the cable. Changed the language and restarted everything but it can no longer see my VIN and manual entry ultimately leads to no connectivity. I've since attempted a complete reinstall of Windows and diagbox, tried a lower version, even tried downgrading the vci.
My obd port has 12v and I've popped it out of its holder to make sure the pins aren't being pushed back
The obd2 to round 30 pin cable tests OK and the vci is visible on the laptop.
Is there anything (possibly related to anything I've been doing above) that flags up as a common issue with connections? It had connected to the car and run global without a problem previously and is a full chip rev C although it is a relatively new unit so I guess there's a chance of an early life failure, unfortunately I don't have another car to test it on

MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

Update:
I managed to get a new display for £30 all in off ebay and it immediately connected and now functions normally (hazards, heated rear window and lock button all working again - forgot to mention them).

I did get a passenger airbag deactivated warning which cleared after the next switch on and I also still had an ECL with 3 beeps. The ECL went off after the second switch on but the beeps and "engine fault" persisted a few more switch ons (I also drove about 6 miles) and now appears to be all OK.

Once I get my lexia sorted I'll double check but looks good at moment - thanks to everyone for their imput

MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

Final update:
Got lexia on to the car and cleared an old airbag fault that was from before I bought the car.
I did have to change a configuration in the display ecu so that it switched the odometer to display cruise control speed when activated (why this isn't enabled by default is beyond me as it wouldn't interfere with a non CC vehicle).

So that's that for. This thread on to the next task - there's persistent errors on the injection ecu - it appears the egr valve will need cleaning. And the other fault is "preheating relay circuit supplied but plugs never supplied" which seems weird, implies I don't have (never had?) any glow plugs haha