DS3 1.6thp (EP6-DT engine) - code P0016 after new timing chain kit installation

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Norbs
My Cars: 2012 Citroen DS3 1.6thp 150bhp

DS3 1.6thp (EP6-DT engine) - code P0016 after new timing chain kit installation

Post by Norbs »

Here is my 1.6thp engine mystery that I cannot get my head around it. So it was a bit of time since I have noticed a rattling noise from the engine at the cold start. I have checked the LTFT and they weren't going any lower than +10.6%. It was clear to me that after reading about these engines that the timing chain is stretched. The engine idling was rough but once on the move, there were no issues. There were no fault codes.
I got a new timing gear set - everything apart from the dephaser pulley. This was what I have noticed first when I took the head cover off:

It was a miracle that this was still working - the inlet camshaft angle was 85.52º. The OEM spec says that it should read between 89º and 91º.
So I have replaced parts and set timing as it was suggested in the PSA service manual. The old timing chain was 5mm longer than the new one.
The new reading of the inlet cam angle showed 89.73º. The engine started to run smoother on the idle and LTFT when down to -1.7% when I was driving around the block to check if everything was ok. The moment I got back home and started to reverse to park the car fault P0016 came up and EML light was on.

I thought ok the cam sensor is faulty - common issue apparently. Got a new Bosch sensor, replaced it, clear the code and did the same thing again. I got it for about a 10mile drive until it warmed up fully, going through all ranges of revs on different gears and no issue. The moment I got home and start to reverse the P0016 code came back and EML on again. I have checked the voltage of the plug that is connected to the sensor and it reads there +5V on pin 1 and +4.95V on pin 2.

I am thinking to replace the crankshaft sensor now as they are not that expensive but keep wondering how is this possible that timing was so out and no issue and now it is 100% set right and it comes up with this fault. The engine runs smoothly on idle as never before even with the EML light on. Any ideas?
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: DS3 1.6thp (EP6-DT engine) - code P0016 after new timing chain kit installation

Post by Dormouse »

Hi Norbs. Put P0016 in the search this topic box at the top leftish of this page and have a look at all the threads.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: DS3 1.6thp (EP6-DT engine) - code P0016 after new timing chain kit installation

Post by Dormouse »

PS Welcome to FCF.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here's the descriptor for this fault, for this engine:
Fault Code: P0016
Description of Fault: Fault in the synchronisation between the camshaft and the crankshaft: Coherence. Dephasing too great between the inlet camshaft and the crankshaft.

The following conditions have to be met for the fault to occur:
- Engine running
- Inlet camshaft in the reference position (Decreased position)
- Synchronisation done
- No error on the inlet camshaft signal
Conditions for Fault to clear: After several engine rev cycles without any error in the dephasing between the inlet camshaft and the crankshaft.
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Blocking of the ignition/fuel injection in the synchronisation checking phase (After engine restart)
  • Inlet camshaft "adaptation + control" prohibition
Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning message: Warning lamp MIL
Symptoms:
  • Emissions outside the norms
  • Starting difficult
Suspect Areas:
  • Timing chain
  • Timing chain tensioner
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

This might sound daft but don't select reverse after a run. Instead stop and run the engine a few times in a run and then select reverse after a few stops and starts. Daft I know but so is this fault.

Just going by conditions to clear fault above.

It doesn't define what several are.
Norbs

Post by Norbs »

Hello to you guys and thank you for all the replies. I am sorry for going straight to the problem after registration 8-[
I did search this forum and others in relation to the P0016 code before writing this post and most of them turned to be the issue of the stretched timing chain or incorrectly set timing. I have even started to question my own workmanship so I took it apart again to check the timing but it was spot on.
After several engine rev cycles without any error in the dephasing between the inlet camshaft and the crankshaft.
Would this mean that the fault and EML would clear off itself if the above would happen?
Inlet camshaft in the reference position (Decreased position)
Reference position - how to understand that? Is this the default position of the inlet cam used to set the timing?

Just blows my mind that it wasn't showing an issue on the old setup where you would think that it should.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

give it a go - worse case, select reverse and it starts all over again
Norbs

Post by Norbs »

Three times lucky - I guess. I have cleared the P0016 fault a third time and done a few runs with the revs up to 5k and slowdowns without using the brake. The fault did not come back. I have done so far about 200 miles so I hope it will stay like that. Not sure what that was in the end.