Trivia Investigation Team

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: Trivia Investigation Team

Post by Dormouse »

Finally tracked down Frank and Matthew. They are HORNSBURY and their original company was called STEELRAY.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Because Culham science park was originally RNAS CULHAM and the government eventually opened up it's research facility and "developed" it into a civilian operation. If, that is, UKEA is truly civilian.

Opera Snapshot_2021-10-17_134151_ccfe.ukaea.uk.png
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

bobins wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 13:08 I had a tour of the place a few years ago. If I can remember anything about it, I'll post it up..... but don't hold your breath :-D
Culham has had a couple of mentions from you in times gone by..
bobins wrote: 27 Jan 2017, 06:54 They use a couple of flywheels at the Culham fusion research project:

Quote: "Large amounts of electrical power are required at Culham to generate the necessary confinement magnetic fields, and heat the fusion plasma to the huge temperatures required to research the conditions required for fusion to take place. JET's main power source, the 400kV super-grid, is able to supply up to 550MW but this is not enough for all the loads required during an experiment. In addition two large flywheel generators, each with rotors weighing in at 775 tonnes and measuring nine meters in diameter, are used generate up to 400MW each and supplements the power drawn from the grid."

http://www.ccfe.ac.uk/power_academy_roles.aspx

If you can get on a tour to that place, it's definitely worth it :) Oh yes !!
bobins wrote: 27 Jan 2017, 19:28
There's a paragraph in there that puts the Urenco connection into perspective:

"According to WHP director Patrick Head, there are 500,000 composite centrifuge rotors (used for enriching uranium) that have been operating 24/7 for 20 years. (Note: a quick analysis of Urenco enrichment facilities estimates 575,000 centrifuges in operation by 2020.) According to an in-house strategy document, Urenco claims, “Another huge strength that Urenco has is their centrifuge technology that runs for 35 years while competitors have to replace their machines every 12 to 15 years.”

And a note to CitroJim - as well as the Culham facility that you really ought to book a tour on, you should also get on a tour of Urenco's facility at Capenhurst. A very fascinating - if somewhat eye-opening - few hours to be spent there. :) Their evacuation procedures if one particular alarm sounded makes you sit up and take note - it was akin to (and I paraphrase here) "Run away, very fast, climb over bodies if you need to" :shock:
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The other bit of the quote from Bobins also links to Williams F1, and the spin off company WHP (Williams Hybrid Power) which co-incidenally comes from this article I posted from Composites World about Composite flywheels.

https://www.compositesworld.com/article ... g-up-speed

Only just the other day I delved into Composites World again about the Large Wind Turbine's.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

And a note to CitroJim - as well as the Culham facility that you really ought to book a tour on, you should also get on a tour of Urenco's facility at Capenhurst. A very fascinating - if somewhat eye-opening - few hours to be spent there. :) Their evacuation procedures if one particular alarm sounded makes you sit up and take note - it was akin to (and I paraphrase here) "Run away, very fast, climb over bodies if you need to" :shock:
[/quote]

I once worked on a Live Oleum Stack at Immingham and the instructions I was given amounted to " run like hell to that automatic shower at the bottom of those stairs, jump on the steel tread plate and take all your clothes off. The site alarm will sound and the nearest medical team will respond"

When I remarked, a bit flippantly, that the shower was completely open and across an open field in front of an office block full of secretaries I was told that the last thing on my mind would be Secretaries - one Oleum drip would just burn quickly through flesh and whatever.
NewcastleFalcon

Trivia Investigation Team-Culham

Subject of the day Culham
Dormouse wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 13:39 Because Culham science park was originally RNAS CULHAM and the government eventually opened up it's research facility and "developed" it into a civilian operation. If, that is, UKEA is truly civilian.

I like the alternative name for RNAS Culham.....HMS Hornbill :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 17 Oct 2021, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

TriviaInvestigationTeamCulham

Subject of the day Culham

...and from its days as HMS Hornbill, a nice picture gallery
http://www.pixture.co.uk/Pages/Culham.htm

from which I have selected a nice Nissen Hut

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Have a drink of the local brew, available at the Railway inn Culham. Loose Cannon Brewery not far away in Abingdon

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Just to be different but still stay on theme here is a video you really don't want to watch!! :-D

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The local railway station has a claim to fame all of its own!!: :)

https://www.culhamstation.co.uk/index.html
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 15:07 The local railway station has a claim to fame all of its own!!: :)

https://www.culhamstation.co.uk/index.html
Excellent Mick, loaded with interesting information/images :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I don't know if you spotted the online jigsaw collection on the Culham Station website but I've been having great fun doing them!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 22:15 I don't know if you spotted the online jigsaw collection on the Culham Station website but I've been having great fun doing them!! :-D
Not yet but I'll give it a go!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Dismantled Industrial Railway mooch today.

Noticed a fair few "LC" markings on the OS map, next to a dismantled industrial railway line to Whittle Colliery in Northumberland originally linked to the East Coast Mainline.

Yes Level Crossing and many of them as it criss crossed the rural lanes.

Here's one of them not much to see!
DSC00725.JPG
DSC00726.JPG
and another one..
temp2.png
Discovered a couple of bits of trivial about the line/locos so I'll shove them here.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

One of the workhorse locomotives No 31 Meteor, which ended up at Whittle Colliery in a fairly delapidated and poorly maintained state, has had a bit of a charmed life since, and remains in preservation with a stint at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and at East Somerset, and was up for sale at the last count.

It used to be known as the Clockwork Orange at NYMR :-D

https://www.steamlocomotive.info/valbum ... splay=4799

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 21 Oct 2021, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey