C3 2018 passenger door won't open from outside

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a999
My Cars: C3 1.6 Diesel (2018)

C3 2018 passenger door won't open from outside

Post by a999 »

Hi, please checkout the video of the issue here:

The door will unlock from inside, child locks are not engaged or ever used. After turning the physical key back and forth in the lock barrel several times it eventually opened after the video was taken, on each turn the central locking would engage and disengage as it should but the passenger door would remain locked until it eventually didn't.

Any idea what the issue is, bought the car used about 6 weeks back and this issue happened 2 days ago in a car park and now again today.

Thank you!
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Re: C3 2018 passenger door won't open from outside

Post by admiral51 »

Hi and welcome to forum.
It could be a frayed wire in the door loom, usual area is the within the rubber sleeve from pillar to the door.
On older Citroens i believe the internal and eternal lock/unlock signal is sent via different wires so whilst the actual lock mechanism is working it is not getting the unlock signal for the outside to be unlocked.
That would be my first point of investigation.
Caveat i have been known to wrong more often than correct so just a heads up :)

Colin
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

If you purchased the car from a dealer it might be worth seeing if it's covered by a warranty. In my experience citroen door catch mechanisms are not the best and i've changed loads in the past but as "admiral51" previously mentioned it's also worth checking the wiring loom. Next time the mechanism fails it might be worth (using the side of your hand) giving some gentle but firm thumps to the door adjacent to where the catch mechanism is located within the door, sometimes it's best done as a two person job, one giving the gentle persuasion to the door mechanism area (being careful not to dent the outer door skin) and one operating the remote at the same time, sometimes the catch mechanism will come to life & release so the door can be opened, but to answer your question i think your looking at a new door catch mechanism. (not the actual lock/barrel assembly)
Music keeps me going.
a999
My Cars: C3 1.6 Diesel (2018)

Post by a999 »

Thanks very much guys for the info, looks like its out of my depth, im going to try contacting the seller.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Adam? Can you pop the VIN up (automasked on post submission) so I can determine exact model and equipment you have.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

a999 wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 10:27 Thanks very much guys for the info, looks like its out of my depth, im going to try contacting the seller.
let us know how you get on, finding out exactly what the issue is is half of the battle but if it is the door catch mechanism... & although they are usually a bit of a fiddle to change (and not so cheap new) they are not technically that hard to do..but then i have done a few older citroen door catch mechanisms in the past & nothing as late as 2018.
Music keeps me going.