The dreaded Tyre Pressures Not Monitored message

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeyB456
My Cars: 2011 Peugeot 308CC

The dreaded Tyre Pressures Not Monitored message

Post by MikeyB456 »

Hi all,
I'm new here, looking for some wise advice.
My wife's got a 2011 Peugeot 308CC. Recently it's taken to saying "tyre pressures not monitored" on random occasions. It might go a week or 10 days without trouble.

So my question is - what to do? Is it likely to be one of the tyre sensors? Or the TPMS ecu?

I could buy a used TPMS ecu on the 'Bay, but would I be right in thinking it's not a simple matter of plugging a replacement in?

All hep gratefully received!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: The dreaded Tyre Pressures Not Monitored message

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Don't start buying parts without a diagnostic - it's the worst and most expensive thing to do. You need to ascertain what the issue is - but from experience it is very unlikely to be the TPMS ECU.

You probably have the direct TPMS system on this first generation 308, so it uses physical sensors on each wheel instead of the ESP system.

These sensors have internal batteries that are only really designed to last about 10 years before a replacement is generally needed. So it is coming up to that period. If the battery starts failing, then it may start losing communication with the TPMS ECU and likely needs replacing. Your TPMS should tell you which sensor or wheel is not monitored, but if not a diagnostic will do - and if not this will point to where the issue is most likely.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MikeyB456

Post by MikeyB456 »

Hi Marc,
Thanks for pitching in. It is indeed the direct TPMS system on the car.

We're used to getting warnings of an individual wheel not being monitored when we have the spare in use temporarily, or when a tyre is newly changed, but this is different - it says "tyre pressures not monitored" and has arrows pointing to all four wheels. Would an individual sensor failure cause that?

I hear what you're saying about battery life of the sensors. So they probably all need changing soon-ish - I presume the batteries are non-replaceable?

Regarding diagnostics, does this have to be done by a Peugeot dealer, or do some "Indy's" have the necessary kit?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so it is not impossible, however extremely unlikely for all 4 sensors to go at the same time.

Have you rotated the wheels around or anything like that?

If none of the wheels are being monitored, then it is possible the sensors have become 'unpaired' from the TPMS ECU for some reason. This can happen if somebody has tried to pair one or more sensors unsuccessfully.

Your dealer may be the best bet to check this and re-pair them for a nominal fee - mine didn't charge me at all. They should be able to tell you what the issue is. I can't speak for your local garages as to whether they have suitable equipment or not - some may have.

The batteries in these are not designed to be replaced - but I know some that are determined have done so, but it means butchering the sensor to get at it.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MikeyB456

Post by MikeyB456 »

No, no wheel changing or rotation at all. This behaviour has just come out of nowhere. And it's intermittent. Today, for example, she drove to and from work without any problems.