Manufacturer's Servicing Schedules/Warranties/Service History

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Manufacturer's Servicing Schedules/Warranties/Service History

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Is it a case of...

or maybe the chorus of this!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Manufacturer's Servicing Schedules/Warranties/Service History

The thing that inspired the thread starter and its mildly humourous choice of music, was looking to see if I could find the manufacturer's maintenance schedule for the Renault Zoe. Yes warranties of any shape or form do not have to have repair and maintenance to be carried out at a main dealer, but I would guess "walk away ability", increases the more arms length a service history is from the manufacturers dealer wing. .

The not so small print of the battery leasing agreement requires these conditions to be met.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 11:55
6.3 We shall not be liable to you for damage to...the Battery or the Vehicle where you have failed to comply with the manufacturer recommendations in particular (but not limited to) loss that arises as a result of your:
6.3.3 failing to maintain the Vehicle or the Battery in accordance with the manufacturer/supplier recommendations;
6.3.4 failing to service the Vehicle as specified in the maintenance and warranty handbook;
6.3.5 carrying out repairs or maintenance yourself or through a repairer that is not authorised and such repairs failing to comply with manufacturer recommendations;

So what maintenance is required by the manufacturer...this sort of thing on a Zoe EV, plus changing coolant every 5 years or 90,000 miles (£350 ish), brake fluid change (£300-£400+) every 4 Years or 72,000 miles, 12V battery (£168) every 3 Years , pollen filter (£48) every year or 18,000 miles. (prices vary across main dealers...indicative only.)

The A inspection (£115) consists of
Check the levels, condition and sealing of the brake circuit
Check the exterior lighting and signals
Check the condition and sealing of the shock absorbers
Check condition and pressure of the tyres and road wheel security
Check the presents of the wheel valve caps
Check the wear of the brake discs and pads
Check the wiper blades and screen washer fluid level
Check the 12V battery with test tool
Check the computers with the diagnostic tool
Reinitialise the maintenance service display
Documentation and positioning of the maintenance label

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

As you, and just about every man and his dog knows, stamps in the service book do not automatically equate to quality servicing and without quantifying the service requirements precisely in schedules then how does a person know that the service is correctly carried out. I won't delve too deeply into it but I used to work in an environment where these statements and requirements were tested to a legal level. The number of times the "Service" satisfied the written requirements but failed to point out obvious issues was alarmingly high and the reporting of these issues seemed to depend on whether the car was being prepared for sale or assessed for repair.
As many motoring organisations will tell you - seek professional advice and a second opinion when you want clarity and reassurance. Unfortunately, one, these are just "Opinions" unless glaring omissions can be clearly established and, two, it is usually too late to prevent issues as you are probably up to your neck in them if you need a second opinion.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

As I said earlier Neil there were 12 A4 pages of small print linked to the battery lease application but the options to opt out of any of it is just not there.

Main dealer service always worried me because it frequently just was a stamp in the service book, the work wasn't done.

Running a small garage I used to catch the droppings from a Ford dealer, when their guarantees ran out, we noted the oils were topped up but rarely changed, I had a customer with a Fiesta on 40k miles, serviced to schedule, still with the original factory fitted oil filter, he had though had new brake pads and disks charged for three times. :shock:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

I think the only car which I have ever owned with any kind of warranty existing, has been my Nissan Leaf. It had 1 year left on the initial warranty, yes again within the small print of which would be the servicing schedule requirements.

On the anniversary of the sale I was offered the usual "extended warranty" insurance type product, at a price which was probably too much to consider, but from my own personal viewpoint, I was never going to go down the route of regular servicing at a dealers or some other establishment, and happy to take the risks and responsibilities on myself.

Looking at the regular servicing list on an electric car, really they are scratching around looking for things to do, and the annual MOT at my local garage and my own acquired knowledge for what its worth has kept our cars going for the last 40 years without ever having a dealer service, and without ever feeling the need for a warranty or jumping through the hoops to try to make sure the warranty remains valid and enforcable.

That's my approach, but buying/leasing new cars/3 year old cars for many will be different. The "deals" are most likely to come with many dealer upsells of warranties and service plans which are tempting for many, as "fear" is a great motivator to take care of those "What if something major goes wrong and I'm faced with a huge bill to pay :?: " worries. Fear not take our extended warranties and service plans and you are covered :-D

Like I say no personal experience of such things other than refusing all of them when I bought the Leaf :-D

REgards Neil

To be totally accurate in my more naive days, I did buy a 4 year old Lancia Beta Coupe with 2 years to go on a 6 year anti-corrosion warranty. Wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. Was dependant on the previous owner having the annual inspections carried out which he didn't do. No matter it was never going to pay out anyway and I didnt have any commitment to pay anything for it.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's a reason why I always have my vehicles serviced at my dealership - especially with the 3 year initial and then extended warranties which I renewed every year at their invitation. Many of you will know I made extensive use of this with my C5 X7, having at least £5k of work done (Suspension pipes, A/C Compressor, Condenser, Steering rack, crankcase oil seal, clutch, complete electric window motor, all TPMS sensors, Windscreen Wiper Motor, etc., etc.) in my ownership and it's something I would recommend.

They also do look at their customer relationships and as a returning customer with servicing history and other parts purchases on multiple cars any issues are likely to be looked on more favourably - and this is especially so with others who have vehicles just out of warranty that have major component failures - they tend to fare a lot better from goodwill gestures from a lot of accounts.

Having the full dealer history also adds value as these were both things that the buyers of my X7 and the C3 valued over other similar vehicles they had seen and of course all the invoices were available to show the other items and work we had done over the years. I also stated on my sales advert the extended warranty periods taken out and had the renewal letters and certificates to show. It shows that no expense has been spared and that original OEM parts and repairs have been made by the dealer, so does give peace of mind.

It is also worth arguing the toss over what is and isn't covered under the warranty - I too have incidents one example being where the dealer suggested a leaking suspension pipe would not be covered - but undeterred I called the warranty company up directly at the dealer and it was agreed without question on the spot! They called the dealer back straight away and authorised repairs. That was not a wear and tear item but a manufacturing defect in the bend....

Both my cars were sold on the spot, with one guy travelling up from London for my X7 - that's a 580 round mile trip in a day as he had already made his mind up he wanted it and as I had already provided the extensive list of everything, there was little to do except cross my palms with silver. :rock:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

I said already in a thread about our "lifeboat" Suzuki SX4 that it was the best I could find at the time. The fact that it had full service history, half of which were from Main Dealers (and the last garage to have hold of it was a Suzuki Main Dealer who I had poorish regard for), didn't sway me so I bought it because I had some knowledge of that type of car and it's potential shortcomings. There were precious few receipts (a prerequisite for Service Stamp verification) so good old methodical checks established what was good. Not everyone has that luxury and you are then relying on the "honesty" of the advice and information being fed to you. ..... By Everyone...... some "independent advice giver's" are not as independent and/or knowledgeable as they appear. It was, and still is, a minefield.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I have a neighbour here who changed cars regularly, on one occasion he had a new PSA (Citroen/Peugeot, can't remember :( ) car that shed its engine on the motorway at three months old, got a new engine fitted under warranty but it wasn't a straightforward deal, took a lot of push.
He's currently running a Hybrid Toy, this one: and a new Mazda MX5 for the weekends.
Attachments
Hybrid Toy.jpg
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.