407 Radio Beeping

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 407 Radio Beeping

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Beeping almost certainly means the Head Unit needs VIN coding to the vehicle if it has been replaced. It may also mean some other configuration to match any vehicle options if it has been sourced from another vehicle.

At the end of the list is a link to a Google Map, showing the members' geographic locations and details. Just use the Private Message or Email links on the member's profile to contact anyone suitable.

List of Lexia / Diagbox Owners with Kits Offering Help

Bear in mind, although we update the list as often as we can, not all members are active on the Forum all the time, so it may take a while for a reply.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I once met a different Lewis Collins at a wedding reception in Wallasey some 30 years ago. I know it was a different Lewis Collins because it was the Lewis Collins from The Professionals and he sadly died some 8 years go.

Anyway, I digress.

Hopefully this is just a problem with a headend unit (HU - radio to you and me) from another car that needs the correct VIN inputting. I'm available most times although obviously I'm in and out as required. PM me.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Managed to cure the beeping on Lewis's car but, boy, what a grueler it was. My first problem was that I couldn't find the cloverleaf power lead that the Diagbox laptop power supply needed. So that wrote off yesterday! Lewis found a spare no-longer-needed lead and came back today.

We got the VIN from the stamping visible through the windscreen no problem and fired up the laptop, started Diagbox and, after I'd inputted the VIN, offered the choice of Lexia or Scantool. Obviously too old for Diagbox itself then!

Then Lexia asked for the RP number. This was next problem - no label on the car. After faffing around we decided to leave the box blank and just click the Next button and see what happens. Surprisingly the program accepted this then offered the usual options of Diagnose, etc. I ran the Global scan and this threw up a few errors. I then made the mistake of clicking on the error log. Why an error? Because it locked the machine up - obviously too many errors.

I wasn't able to step back in the process and ended up having to terminate the program and then restarting. This time I couldn't get past the Input RP number stage. It kept either giving me an error message or dropping back to Diagbox with the same demand for the RP number and a complete refusal to get past this stage without it. I made numerous attempts with slight variations, exiting and restarting Diagbox and even restarting the laptop. Lew suggested just making up an RP number so I put a random number in - I think 3406. This was obviously too low as when I did a Global scan Lexia couldn't communicate with any of the ECUs. Lew looked on the internet and one place suggested using 12345 in such a case and this then worked. A Global scan produced the same result as our first scan and this time I didn't make the mistake of looking at the log.

Problem solved? Not a bit of it. No matter how many times I tried inputting the VIN the beeping didn't stop. We went through all the variations of stopping, restarting and rebooting we could think of and still no success. Then I did the thing I should have done much earlier and checked what VIN was stored in the BSI. And, of course, it was different. The BSI must have been changed for one off a scrapper at some time. Finally I was able to cure the beeping by putting this VIN into the radio ECU.

Phew! I was very close to giving up at several points. Possibly if I had done recoding a radio before I might have realised earlier what the problem was but we got there in the end.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well done for persevering with it. If I'd had the VIN I could of provided the RPO for you quite quickly, as this is needed to determine the correct build date to ensure the correct operation, but for the task at hand it was sufficient with the guess!

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I did consider making a post asking for the VIN but didn't think I would get an answer quickly enough. I was wary of putting a spurious RPO in but reasoned that the item I was looking at wouldn't be affected greatly. I was partially right and as soon as I had put this 3406 in I thought to myself that it was way too early a number.

Out of interest what dates do 3406 and 12345 equate to?

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

07/03/1986 and 27/08/2010 respectively.

Marc
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Learning more all the time.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 13:34 07/03/1986 and 27/08/2010 respectively.
Haha. Well the first was definitely too early. No wonder the program couldn't find any ECUs - they weren't invented back then.

The second was only a couple of years out, soooo - close enough!