1994 ZX Volcane gauges & radiator fan not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BurntToast
My Cars: 1994 Citroen ZX 2.0 Volcane

1994 ZX Volcane gauges & radiator fan not working

Post by BurntToast »

I have recently acquired a 1994 Citroen ZX Volcane 2.0L 5spd. It has been sitting for a number of years. The last time it had its WOF (warrant of fitness) was in 2015, and one of the tyres on it is from 2007. It also seems that there has been rats through the car which have chewed a couple cables. I have patched up the ones I have found but there are two wires behind the dash which I cannot find the other end for! The car runs and drives fine but I have a few electrical issues. The radiator cooling fan doesn't switch on by itself, when bridging the connector manually the fan does come on but sounds quite rough. Only the speedometer works on the gauge cluster, none of the other gauges work. Fuel level, Rev meter, Coolant temp, Oil temp, Oil pressure, none of the instrument cluster lights. I have pulled the instrument cluster and it doesn't look like it has any major corrosion or anything and none of the bulbs are blown. So this leads me to believe it to be a bad ground issue. So if anyone knows where the ground locations are or how I should go about diagnosing this problem that would be very appreciated.

This is my first Citroen and I don't have the most wiring experience so any help would be greatly appreciated. If any photos would be useful let me know what you need, and if there is another post on these issues which I didn't find feel free to link me to them.

Thanks for your help!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: 1994 ZX Volcane gauges & radiator fan not working

Post by white exec »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
The ZX is a great vehicle, and really well screwed together. A Volcane should turn out to be a lot of fun!

Sounds as if there is a central power source issue there, for so many functions to be lost, probably involving fusing.
Hopefully, someone here can come up with a wiring diagram for the car.
I'm not sure how good the Haynes book (which will contain wiring diagrams) for the ZX is, but it might be worth you're hunting one down.
Chris
BurntToast
My Cars: 1994 Citroen ZX 2.0 Volcane

Re: 1994 ZX Volcane gauges & radiator fan not working

Post by BurntToast »

white exec wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 07:40 Hi, and welcome to the forum.
The ZX is a great vehicle, and really well screwed together. A Volcane should turn out to be a lot of fun!

Sounds as if there is a central power source issue there, for so many functions to be lost, probably involving fusing.
Hopefully, someone here can come up with a wiring diagram for the car.
I'm not sure how good the Haynes book (which will contain wiring diagrams) for the ZX is, but it might be worth you're hunting one down.
Yeah I've already given abit of beans on some mountain roads near my city and its a whole lot of fun. I was very surprised how noticeable the passive rear wheel steering is, its a real joy to drive or just to cruise around in. I've managed to track down some wiring diagrams but I'm unable to find where the listed grounds are on the actual car. Its a shame how rare they are where I live, almost no chance of me finding a 16 valve.