Wireless mouse which won't stop waking the PC

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Wireless mouse which won't stop waking the PC

Post by white exec »

For a long time, we've had a wireless mouse in our lounge, used to operate the nearby Win10 PC, usually to select and pause/play IPTV from the PC to the tv screen, via HDMI.

Anyway, this remote mouse has continued to wake up the PC, if the mouse was accidentally knocked or moved.

Obvious solution was to go into Control Panel, and only allow the main (wired) mouse to wake the PC, and to stop (mouse > power management) the wireless one from doing that. Just didn't work, though.

Yesterday, found the soloution here - and it is slightly surprising, simple, and has worked a treat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75BpfWq ... l=SoSoTech
:)
Chris
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Wireless mouse which won't stop waking the PC

Post by mickthemaverick »

My wireless mice both have slider switches on the bottom. When I put the pc to sleep I just turn off the mouse, saves battery too, and thereby avoid false awakenings! When I want to use it I simply switch the mouse back on :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's probably because many wireless keyboard and mice systems use a unified wireless system to communicate with the PC - so regardless if you have one device set to not wake the PC up, it still communicates with the keyboard and this then has the same effect.

You've sorted it now though Chris :-D

PS - Deleted your other Thread Chris - seemed to have a duplicate :wink:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I still use wires meeces. Two laptops side by side make for some interesting experiences.
One of them was scrolling very slowly so swapped for a third - I think they breed in the drawer where they normally live - but that one had a dead right click.
Dismantled #1 and gave it a spring clean, bits of dust in the 'spokes' of the wheel. Works well now.
But had to investigate the other. Full of crap but no clear reason why it wasn't working - right click worked with it in bits.
Reassembly was fun, wouldn't go together properly so left click borked. Was a little tag that was bent. Straightened it and it fell to bits, but the mouse then went back together OK and works.

Only about two hours wasted, mainly trying to get the second one back together, hard to see the little bits, especially as they are all black.

I should just use the touchpads but don't like them. Turn them off as they will inadvertently select a load of text and delete it.
Having the tandem laptops can be fun. I typed a full paragraph in an email to one of the kids yesterday - on the one just booted and waiting for a password. Longest password in history there.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

That makes sense, Mark: keyb+mouse are one wireless unit, so keyb needs its 'wake up' disabling too.
In my case, there was no wireless keyboard - just the wireless mouse.
Anyway, done.

Thanks for deleting the duplicate post.
I saw the two of them in the list of New Posts, but both had the same Post#, and there was only one Post to be accessed. Tad odd.
Chris