306 TD clutch cable

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

will_j

306 TD clutch cable

Post by will_j »

I've owned a '96 TD for about 4 months and was surprised how stiff the clutch was when I bought it. I've got used to it now, but have since heard that there's a problem with the cable drying out, preventing the automatic adjustment from functioning, leading to premature clutch wear and failure.
Is there any way of knowing whether this is happening other than a slightly stiff clutch pedal? I'd like to get it sorted sooner rather than later if it might lead to a £300 bill.
AndyGimpy
My Cars:

Post by AndyGimpy »

IT SOUNDS AS IF THE CLUTCH HAS GOT TIRED AND HENCE VERY HEAVY. YOU COULD JUST CHANGE THE CABLE AS A MATTER OF PRECAUTION AND ONLY COSTS ABOUT £17.00 FROM ANDYSPARES. THIS MAY HELP A LITTLE BUT COULD MEAN A NEW CLUTCH IF NO IMPROVEMENT. THE CLUTCH WILL PROBABLY LAST A LONG TIME BUT WILL BE JUST HEAVY. GOOD LUCK
Jakey
My Cars:

Post by Jakey »

I bought a high(ish) mileage '95 Dturbo in late '98. The only issue I had with the car was the heavy clutch. It wasn't slipping or failing in any other way - it was just heavy.
At every service since I bought the car (most by main dealers) it has been recommended that the clutch be changed. I have held out until there was an actual problem. Some 65k miles later the only reason for changing the clutch now is that a big end has gone and when swapping the engine out, it makes sense to fit a new clutch at the same time !
(any offers for the serviceable bits on the old unit - g'box, turbo with i/c and manifold, and head - gratefully received)
I too have heard that the clutch cable is routed close to some of the exhaust components which tends to dry the cable out. I have no idea whether or not this is true though....!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I have a ZX 16V which although not quite the same, I had the same problem as you. The clutch was stupidly stiff to push and it got to the point where it broke the metal clip that holds the cable into the clutch pedal and so no clutch....this happened twice locally and then once on the outside lane of the M25 it pulled out again!
My clutch was worn out though as I could no longer adjust it up, the bite point was right on the floor and doing the nut up any further on the gearbox end of the cable resulted in it slipping the entire time.
If you still have plently of adjustment left in yours then I would suggest doing the cable and seeing how it goes. If you do need a new clutch eventually then at least you have a newish cable anyway
Jakey
My Cars:

Post by Jakey »

Well a new (well low mileage second hand unit actually) engine/clutch/g'box combo was fitted and the clutch was still heavy.
A brand new clutch cable was fitted and and Hey presto - problem solved....