Relay Van Euro 6 2.0 Idle Shake When Facing Uphill

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Saxon
My Cars: Relay Van Euro 6 2.0

Relay Van Euro 6 2.0 Idle Shake When Facing Uphill

Post by Saxon »

As the title, shakes in idle but only when facing uphill, the steeper it is the worse the judder. The shaking is rhythmic with a slight pause between judders. Engine never dies though.

Any ideas? I'm drawing a blank as to where to start looking first. Van runs fine otherwise. Thought maybe an engine mount at first but the fact it only occurs facing uphill is putting me off that being the cause?
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: Relay Van Euro 6 2.0 Idle Shake When Facing Uphill

Post by Dormouse »

Does the van have any issues climbing a long steep hill?
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

No runs fine, once you start off again you can't notice the judder, it's only in idle. I seem to remember it stopping if used the throttle to run a faster idle when stationary but I'll have to take it out and test if that's definitely the case.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Is the engine "hunting" up and down in speed?
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Just took it out to check, revs stay stable at just under 1k whilst shaking and it does disappear if you speed up the idle by adding a tiny bit of throttle. The juddering is rhythmic, few times a second, shakes the whole van and is very noticeable.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Does it disappear if you press the clutch in and/or go into a gear?
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Just been and checked, the clutch makes no difference in or out but does go away with handbrake on and reaching biting point in gear?
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

well weird! I was thinking exhaust system loose but that doesn't make sense when you only point up hill. Can you hear anything when you stand outside? Say, at the front of the van.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

I say that as I am trying to figure what might be affected by leaning backwards and I am thinking loose radiator/shield/ top panel. Something that would vibrate the body. Battery/box, something heavy enough to sympathetically vibrate at a certain frequency.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

If it was belts, tensioners, pulleys etc, you would expect it to occur at all angles. If it was on the engine unit you would expect it not to vibrate so clearly only at idle. I am not ruling out engine mounts though. Has anything been fitted or changed recently?
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Only recently got the van so history is unknown, probably just going to swap over the engine mounts when I get time as can't figure out what else it might be.

Whilst i'm here didn't want to start a new thread but do you know where the eolys fluid tank is on these vans and how to access? Just got the additive low EML -_-