Public and Commercial Transport

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Public and Commercial Transport

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

First of many town based delivery offices to go electric. Bristol East Central Delivery office to replace all of its 23 Diesel Vans with Electric. Looks like Stellantis have got the nod, with the fleet being Peugeot vans. What on earth are Nissan doing :?: They should have been all over that particular market and building electric vans in Sunderland for years, but haven't, so along come jonny come latelies Peugeot and their foot is in a very large door of business.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

In UK Bus News
First Bus has started work on an ambitious new project they say will transform its Glasgow Caledonia bus depot into the UK’s largest EV charging hub. The project is set for completion in 1.5 years.

Phase One of the depot transformation is expected to be complete by September this year, allowing for the introduction of a further 22 electric buses to Glasgow’s streets ahead of the COP26, the United Nations Climate Change Conference
..and the Buses, coming from Falkirk and Scarborough with just a little pinch of China's BYD.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

..and Lambeth plump for French electric vans too,
All-Electric Renault e-tech models help Lambeth Council Grow its Green Fleet
https://www.press.renault.co.uk/en-gb/releases/2856
https://www.press.renault.co.uk/en-gb/releases/2856
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

So a few Electric French Vans making their way into UK Fleets.

So Which of the legacy auto makers is to supply 750 Electric Vans to DPD :?:
Spoiler: show
None of them.......story here
DPD adds 750 EVs to UK fleet
In the UK, DPD is adding 750 electric vehicles to its fleet. The parcel delivery company has ordered the new electric delivery vans from the SAIC brand Maxus. These are 500 units of the electric 3.5-ton eDeliver 9 and 250 units of the smaller eDeliver 3.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My brother's team at LDV had that on the cards Neil, before Mr Mandelson (now Lord) denied them a loan for a management buy out when TATA walked away.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 23:04 First of many town based delivery offices to go electric. Bristol East Central Delivery office to replace all of its 23 Diesel Vans with Electric. Looks like Stellantis have got the nod, with the fleet being Peugeot vans. What on earth are Nissan doing :?: They should have been all over that particular market and building electric vans in Sunderland for years, but haven't, so along come jonny come latelies Peugeot and their foot is in a very large door of business.
Regards Neil
The Peugeot foot-in-the door approach likely to bear fruit. Still a small number of vehicles compared to an overall fleet of around 47,000, but another 3,000 to be procured from October although no specific contracts have been put out as yet, both Peugeot and Mercedes have already supplied vehicles in previous smaller scale procurements.
Royal Mail to Procure 3,000 Electric Vans
https://www.electrive.com/2021/06/11/br ... nsporters/
The postal service does not specify a van brand or a timetable. However, Commercial Fleets reports that procurement will start in October and that most of the vehicles will be Peugeot and Mercedes models. Specifically, the portal mentions the Peugeot e-Expert, Mercedes eVito and eSprinter. This fits in with the fact that Royal Mail has already used electric transporters from Peugeot and Mercedes for previous small-scale purchases. The desired loading capacities also match those of previously purchased vehicles from the two manufacturers.

In the view of Simon Thompson, CEO of Royal Mail, electric vehicles are not only the right step for the environment, employees and communities, “increasingly make more economic sense for the Company than diesel vehicles in the long-term”. Already, given its “feet on the street” approach to delivery, Royal Mail comes out as the clear leader with 85,000 postal delivery staff members in the UK with the lowest emissions per parcel. “Electrification of our vehicle fleet will strengthen our advantage. That’s good for our customers, our people & the planet. We look forward to working with vehicle manufacturers and government to increase supply so we can accelerate our transition to electric vehicles in the UK.”
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Route Number 7 East Acton to Oxford Circus in the news

viewtopic.php?p=689682#p689682

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

For the tram enthusiast a near two hours of old film.

Last edited by myglaren on 17 Jul 2021, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: video link
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 11:13 For the tram enthusiast a near two hours of old film.
Have a couple of minutes dip in where I have started the video at 33.26.

Nice introduction to Thermit Welding
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exothermic_welding

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Another Brum tram ride.
Last edited by myglaren on 19 Jul 2021, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Video link
NewcastleFalcon

JUst watched Michael Portillo on BBC Tw0 riding on Byron Bay's 100% Solar Powered train.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Shipping

Maersk and Green Methanol (yes but how green is green methanol? considerably greener than bunker fuel but at best CO2 neutral-ish in production and supply, and not a great supply chain of it. and the ships still belch out CO2 without any carbon capture and storage)

Regards Neil

PS Scotland could be getting in on the act
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

One of the reasons I have come to appreciate the presentation by Dave Borlace on his "Just have a Think" you tube channel of current developments, in the transition of economies away from fossil fuels, is that a fair balanced and well-researched treatment is given to the variety of subject matter.

The Shipping Industry in 2021 has arrived at the party, with a difficult problem to solve, it currently is fuelled by the dirtiest fossil fuel available on the planet...with an appropriate moniker...bunker fuel.

So the biggest container shipping company in the world, makes an announcement that they are ordering 8 ships (from South Korea) which will run on green methanol ( but still be capable of running on "bunker fuel").

So some accounts of this will carry positive headlines and publicity for Maersk. Others present it in a different way and dismiss it as a PR fig leaf in Maersk's overall business eg this report from Cleantechnica which comes at it from its own particular angle.

Maersk Delivers $150 Million PR Win For Shipping Industry With Methanol Ships Purchase

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Spotted A Scania HGV 71 reg today.

Scania/Siemens are involved in this project in Scunthorpe :-D

Is this going to be the future of Heavy Goods Transport in the UK. A network of "overhead lines"

UK government backs scheme for motorway cables to power lorries
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey