Indicator 'Clicking' issues - 2002 Xsara (not picasso)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beko1987
My Cars: 2002 Xsara HDI 110

Indicator 'Clicking' issues - 2002 Xsara (not picasso)

Post by beko1987 »

Hi!

My lovely Xsara just flew through another MOT, but this year the tester picked up on the indicator issues (it didn't come up last year despite the issue still being there but it had perishing rear brake flexi's which have been replaced now so maybe he wanted to put something in!)

Anyhow, electrically all is fine, and indicating right the stalk clicks up and the indicators flash. Turning left however, when the stalk clicks into place 8 times out of 10 nothing happens. I've just been holding the stalk slightly down to make the electrical connection and the indicators work fine, TBH I've got so used to doing that I've forgotten the issue is there... It seems to work fine when I've been driving a while, although I imagine that's a red herring rather than it's warmed up and fixed itself...

Does anyone know what I might be looking at to repair it? I see alot of information about various fixes, but since it electrically works fine, am I looking at the replacement of the white plastic pin, or is fitting a whole new stalk the answer?

I've been hesitant to just buy parts as I know these cars have differing parts depending on the day of the week they were made, my vin is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] with no trip computer, but with front and rear fogs, horn is on the wheel not stalk (flipping miss it not being on the stalk though, after a few ZX/Xantia's I still push the indicator stalk in when I need to use it before realising...).

Also how tricky is the job to replace? I've always been scared stiff of messing with the clock spring stuff, getting the airbag and wheel off is fine, but beyond that I want to be more sure than I am now, as any mishaps will result in the car being off the road which would be a pain.

Looking at listings for the plastic pin (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283935859338 ... xycD9TU62e the symptoms on the listing don't match what I have

THe Delphi fix (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282817633383 ... 2817633383 would suggest I'd be having other electrical issues, plus I have zero idea if I have Delphi or DAV without actually stripping it apart a bit

Or do I just buy something like this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203537485075 ... %3A2334524 and plug it in and job done?

Thanks in advance!

Sam
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Indicator 'Clicking' issues - 2002 Xsara (not picasso)

Post by wheeler »

It really easy to replace the Com2000 unit, the 'clock spring' is an integral part of the com2000 unit & cant (not without pressing down & bypassing the locking mechanism) be rotated unless the steering wheel is fitted so as long as the steering wheel is straight ahead when you remove it there should be no problem.
once the steering wheel is off & you have disconnected the plugs there is only 1 10mm bolt to undo that is part of a clamp that holds it onto the steering column & a couple of tabs to pull back then it just slides off.
You then unclip the radio controls & cruise control stalk (if fitted) slot them into the new one.
As you car doesn't have ESP there is no steering angle sensor to re calibrate
beko1987
My Cars: 2002 Xsara HDI 110

Re: Indicator 'Clicking' issues - 2002 Xsara (not picasso)

Post by beko1987 »

Fab, thanks for the info! That sounds fairly straightforward then, when I get a spare morning I'll have it off and out and note the part numbers so I can order the right one (or remove it and instantly see what the issue is and berate myself for leaving it so long...)
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara