Wheel bearings.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Wheel bearings.

Post by mickthemaverick »

Just a quick question. I have to source a replacement front wheel bearing and I haven't bought one for years so, in view of the plethora of cheap ones around, I thought I'd get the general opinion on which are the better bearing companies these days? :?:
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Wheel bearings.

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Looks like you will do well to get the wheel bearing/hub replacement at any sort of reasonable price if its for your Subaru Legacy. The two ECP aftermarket offerings are from companies I have never heard of.

Is that what you have found? Wheel bearing/hub come as a one piece replacement both rear and front.

This article seems to point to a rear wheel bearing Achille's heel on the Legacy.
https://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-wh ... d-part-ii/

According to one of the commenters ".... Factory bearings are made by NTN, if you can locate the NTN bearing in the aftermarket than yes it would be the same bearing. However if you bought a Dorman, FEQ, Timken, etc it would NOT be the factory bearing."

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

GSF are showing DriveTec front wheel bearings (and hub) for £82:28 (including VAT) with use of the discount code (you need to sign up to them to apply the code). They have them in stock at Harlow and Tottenham, so Click and Collect could be available..
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Thanks chaps, I had a rec from a guy on a Subaru forum so I have ordered his suggestion which comes with 2 years warranty and has served him well at £79.90 after scooby discount. They are FAG bearings which I have not heard of but as the subaru dealer wanted £387 to do the job including vat I decided to go for this option and do it myself! I must admit I like the bearing + hub idea as it eliminates the need for presses etc. Its just a many bolts and some fettling job. It was getting a bit too loud for my liking on the way back from Warrington so I decided to sort it out. Nice little job for next week!! :)
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

FAG get a mention on the NTN wiki pages so some link with the OEM manufacturer if that's reassurance, and on ecp/carparts4less one of the options but even with discount much more expensive than your source.
The following year, the company (NTN) partnered with FAG Kugelfischer Georg Schafer AG to sell bearings in both North America and Europe. This partnership helped create factories in both Portugal and Hungary.
Some link with NTN, and FAG is one of the brands of the Schaeffler Group. In Germany, the main brands of the Schaeffler Group – INA, FAG and LuK – are marketed by Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG and LuK GmbH & Co. oHG.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

That is good to know, thanks Neil. I have limited research capability at the moment as I am using the phone and the screen is too small for my liking for researching anything!! So I appreciate your efforts as I do James's, hopefully It will arrive on Monday and get done soon after! :)