Considering an XM

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

hotrodjacko
My Cars: Citroen XM

Considering an XM

Post by hotrodjacko »

Hi all,

Thought I'd stick my nose in on here to do some reading about XM's; also been looking over on Club-XM but can't sign up (I guess due to some inactivity).

Thanks!
Ross
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Considering an XM

Post by white exec »

Hi, Ross, and welcome to FCF.

Several of us here are XM owners, and a good few others had one in the past. You've already spotted Paul (citroenxm).
I think Marc here has already sent you a PM, but let me apologise for your not being able to register on Club-XM. There are administrative problems there at the moment, which have meant lengthy delays in new members getting registered, and able to log on. We hope that this problem will get finally sorted before long, as there is a huge amount of XM technical/repair/maintenence/parts info there, and well as a list of members and their cars.

XM is a stupendous vehicle, and certain to give grey-matter a work out from time to time. Not sure how much you've researched, but a really good read is the Wikipedia entry - just google Citroen XM Wikipedia.

Will be interesting to hear what you decide to do, and which model you eventually go for. No shortage of help and support available!
Chris
hotrodjacko

Post by hotrodjacko »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome. I've had a chat with Paul already and got some good information so thanks!

I'll hold out for getting on the XM forum, no rush at present and it is all still a fantasy at the moment. I'm considering an XM as a daily driver to replace my current car, bit of a change from that (2019 Fiesta ST) but still keeping my eyes peeled; either this or something a bit newer but more boring...

Ross
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the Forum. Without trying to rain on your parade, I would not have an XM as a daily drive. The reasoning is very simple (and is well explained in the attached thread); it will let you down when something breaks (and if replacement parts are difficult to source she will remain off the road). A better way to go is (assuming space and finances permit) to have a reliable car (such as your Fiesta) for the day to day stuff, and the XM for fun (or, should the Fiesta break, as your standby vehicle until you fix the Fiesta).

Please don't get me wrong; if I had the finances and space to do so I would have several different Citroens in my fleet; an XM, a Xantia Activa (with the V6 engine!), and an SM (as well as my current C5, once she is sorted out).

viewtopic.php?p=691381#p691381
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

An XM in very good condition can be used a a daily car, I have used mine as my only car in France since 2013 (admittedly I have not been in France since the end of 2019, but that is another story). It has never required any repair other than replacement of normal service items and one hydraulic hose fitting with a slow drip.

XMs are reliable compared to more modern cars with complicated emission control systems. Parts supply is an issue, most parts can be found second hand, but that will become more difficult as time goes on.

Be prepared for rust, particularly around the jacking points and front footwells. I am very lucky that my XM has always been garaged, never been driven on a salted road and is totally rust-free. It has also had full cavity wax injection during my ownership.

You do need to have a certain temperament to live with any old car, we have seen people buy a car which has obvious problems (and many do by now), and then be unhappy at the cost of repair and preservation.
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I would have no hesitation in using our XM (a 2.5TD, all of which were Series 2) as a daily. We have owned it since new (a 1996, but first put on the road in December 1998), and it was daily transport for five years after that. During its time with us it has taken us all over Europe, often with a caravan. A few hiccups, yes, in the 130k miles now on the clock, but never left us stranded.

The XM is our transport of choice for anything other than local stuff. We've just this week got back from meeting up with family in France (round trip of 2000 miles), fully laden with a week's toot and our two dogs. The car returned 45mpg, driven most of the way at legal limits. The comfort of the car, and its handling, are legendary - maybe one of the best long-distance cruisers to be had, and more comfortable (and reliably built) than many later models. XMs with manual gearboxes are particularly sturdy, and the diesels the most economic. The torque of the 2.5 exceeds that of the V6's.

As Mike says, rust needs seeking out, and is best avoided. Better to find a rust-free (or properly repaired) one, if you can. Rust-proofing/cavity-waxing (especially for the UK) is a must. The mechanicals and electricals of the car are well understood, and there are few faults which haven't been encountered and documented. There's extensive availability of original workshop pages and electrical circuitry.

If you enjoy, or want to get really involved with working on a well-built modern classic, and have a practical turn of hand, you'll enjoy XM immensely. If things like oil changes, chasing electrical issues, and renewing brake pads are beyond your ability, then owning one of these, and keeping it on the road, could become expensive, if you need to regularly rely on commercial workshops. Parts availability is not a major problem. Service items are readily available.
Chris
hotrodjacko

Post by hotrodjacko »

Thanks for the words of wisdom! I'm no stranger to cars - I trained as a mechanic at college after leaving school, rebuilding a Rover V8 as my final year project. In the background to this, I rebuilt a Series 3 Land Rover which I started when I was 16 and was my first car. I went on to study mechanical engineering at university and ran a phase 1 306 Dturbo whilst I was there, sorely missed now!

Treated myself to the fiesta a couple of years ago, but a first house purchase recently has made it difficult to justify - hence the lookout for something with a bit of 'je ne sais quoi' to be a good main vehicle. It'll sit well alongside my modified 1950 Land Rover (fitted with a 3.5 V8). Hopefully I can put some cash aside for my XR4x4 project too.

As you mention Chris, most items seem well documented and tend not to worry me on the most part. I've only a 12 mile commute with trips to visit family once a month or so.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I had 3 XMs and each one was my daily driver - never an issue on reliability, 2 were 2.0 Turbo Petrol Prestige Auto models and the earlier one non-turbo. Probably would still be driving them today had they not been written off by psycho holiday makers :roll: :(

A great looking car with lots of character and nothing else on the road looking like it.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Ross,
We have more than a little in common, it seems....Rovers, V8s and some interesting modifications.
You would be the ideal XM owner.
Chris