c2 not starting up

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john321plo
My Cars: 307,308.c4

c2 not starting up

Post by john321plo »

as in heading ,i have a c2 which i had a few weeks back ,had a few small issues with it at the start well sorted them out .
the main problem i am haveing at the moment is it will not start unlees i put my foot on the throtle .
i know it needed a new battery so had one of them ,checked the plugs did not look good so changed them
and the car is still the same ,put if i leave it stand over night it will start first time but if i switch off and try to restart it it will not go .
checked on line for any quick fix and found there was a test i can do to see if it was the altornater ,done the two test with the car lights on ,and the removing of the negative on the battery but they both came up ok ,
so am i missing any thing else here or does any one want to throw some light on it can in question is a c2 1.1 petrol
ozvtr
My Cars: Citroen C2 VTR
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Re: c2 not starting up

Post by ozvtr »

What is the over-all performance of the engine?
Does it run poorly for a few seconds after starting?
Pull the spark plugs out and see if one is more sooty than the others. Now that they have been changed it should be very evident.
Could be a leaky fuel injector.
john321plo

Post by john321plo »

yep rechecked the plugs they look fine ,the car it self ticks over well onces started ,and drives well ,but come to think about it the car as not left the garden since i have done the work on it or but the new battery in it with the plugs , it is just the car will start first thing if it as been left over night but will not start if i then turn it off and back on again i have evan checked and cleaned the throtle body checked all the filters and rechecked all the electric connecters and fuses
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

How long are you running it for before switching it off & trying to restart?
john321plo

Post by john321plo »

around about 3 min or so but i did have it running for 10 min on monday and it had that same problem ,
but i do not know if this will put any light on it but i tryed it an hour ago and i moved the key in the ignition while turning it over and it started first time so tryed it a few times with holding the key in differant positions and it would seem to start on times
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Do you have any way of checking live data? When the car is not starting is the starter motor operating & the engine turning over?
john321plo

Post by john321plo »

what do you mean live data ,the car will crank up but just wont start on times ,i leave it for an hour and it may start ,or i my leave it for 5 min and it wont start but
then on times it will start say 5 to 6 times when i turn it off and on ,but it will tick over all day omce started then or i may need to wiggle the key in the barrel to get it started
ozvtr
My Cars: Citroen C2 VTR
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Post by ozvtr »

john321plo wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 19:20 or i may need to wiggle the key in the barrel to get it started
Hmm. That might be a clue! It could be the contacts for the ignition. There are three separate sets of electrical contacts in the ignition switch. Power for the ignition circuits might be cut while the starter is engaged?
Looks like your ignition switch might be the problem.
john321plo

Post by john321plo »

yer after deeing this was thinking the same ,just may take a look at this some time today
and get it out of there to see what is going on
john321plo

Post by john321plo »

well do not know now for sure what is going on ,in the car this morning and turned the key and it started first ime left it run for 2 min and turned off
and then turned it back on and started again on this turn ,drove the car for about 10 meters and reversed back and turned the car off
tryed turneing the over again and a no go back to the none start but cranking over ,and a wiggle of the and leaveing crank for 3 seconds or so and it started
john321plo

Post by john321plo »

up date on the cat ,it will start now if i just crank it over for around 2 to 3 seconds
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Unusual news on the CAT, but how is the car? :D
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!