HDI "chatter"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Frenchy
My Cars: Xantia
BX
Peugeot 406 (Now baked bean tins)
Supra's
Audi's
protons

HDI "chatter"

Post by Frenchy »

Have recently purchased a Xantia estate fitted with the 2lt HDI engine, that was for sale on this forum. Knew it was "chattering" from the belt side of the engine and believed it to be the automatic tensioner which I have now replaced and it has not cured the problem.

When the car was run (very briefly) without the auxilliary belt the chattering was not present, ruling out any cambelt components. There is slight wobble on crankshaft pulley when viewed with engine running and only normal bearing noise from anciliaries when using mechanics stethoscope (screwdriver).

What could be causing the chattering, could it be the crankshaft pulley, the new tensioner is now not bobbling about as the old one was.

Visual inspection of the timing belt and water pump look to have been recently fitted.

Any help appreciated.
moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: HDI "chatter"

Post by moizeau »

Have you checked the idler pulley? If it's a 110 they have the dual mass crankshaft pulley and they normally squeal until they eat the rubber. If it was the crankshaft pulley on a worn key I'd expect it to rattle all the time. Not to say it isn't though.It could also be AC, alternator, power steering. With the belt off go round them all looking for play.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Almost certainly the crankshaft pulley, it is a regular weak point.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Frenchy
My Cars: Xantia
BX
Peugeot 406 (Now baked bean tins)
Supra's
Audi's
protons

Post by Frenchy »

Thank you for the responses. Will go with the crankshaft pulley as that is what we suspected and tested all the other pulleys and no play in them.

Would you possibly have a part number Oily for this part as there appears to be more than 1 for this model.