Everything about Tyres

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Everything about Tyres

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I forgot to mention - on my previous C5 with Direct TPMS with physical sensors on the wheels, I had one blow out on a dual carriageway - and I mean it had completely blown out as in a gaping great hole where the valve should be! Thanks to the hydractive suspension, barely felt anything, but there was a loud bang, and the tyre rapidly deflated to zero pressure. I drove at a reduced pace a mile to the dealer and let off a bit of steam, considering if this had been in town with pedestrians a few minutes earlier - it could of caused some serious injury I suspect....

They were going to replace the one under warranty - but I refused that and demanded they do all the remaining three at the same time under health and safety - which they agreed after talking to head office. These were replaced with an updated part.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Oh and one other thing whilst I remember.... anyone tempted to replace their valve caps with anything apart from rubber / plastic, think again. The boy racer brigade love to replace these with those metal ones with their car logos on etc., but the metal they are made of can often cause galvanic corrosion and react with the metal valves literally causing them to bond together - so you will never get them off without damage.

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I don't know what sort of TPMS system mine has but when I had a puncture - completely flat - it didn't react until ten days after it was repaired.

Then threw up a false warning a few weeks back - all tyres at the recommended pressure.
Not long after I bought it I checked the pressures and two were down quite a bit - no reaction from it. I wasn't aware it had one then though.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

what car is this Steve?

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The Civic. No French cars at the moment. Neither of the C5s had TPMS fitted.
rogerc5
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: c5 estate 2007 2.0 auto

Acadiane 1981

Post by rogerc5 »

I found ASDA very good; interestingly my local fitter turned out to be Halfords!
I also got a £20 voucher from ASDA which I didn't spend on bacon.
The tyres I bought were to replace Michelins which suffered cracked walls. Michelin customer services wanted me to return them to the supplier for inspection, which was a bit difficult as I bought them on line. I am reading more and more complaints about cracked walls; I attributed mine to non use during lockdown.
Now running Avons which are very good and cheaper.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

rogerc5 wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 18:16 I found ASDA very good; interestingly my local fitter turned out to be Halfords!
I also got a £20 voucher from ASDA which I didn't spend on bacon.
I kicked the thread off with ASDA's online tyre site. You must have ploughed through the slightly off topic meanderings about their cooked meat and bacon on page 1 Roger!

All seems very straightforward and plenty choice of fitters, and customer reviews, which you hope are genuine! Halfords was on my list too. With the previous discussion I kicked off on TPMS just a little cautious about choice of fitter, but I've no idea whether these days if it is just a matter of course for tyre fitters in general, being switched on and dealing with the valves and the in-wheel transmitters on cars with direct TPMS. Just got to ask the question before selecting a fitter.

Have to add on £12 per order if you select the local mobile fitters, but the pricing is pretty clear. Not sure if a new rubber valve applies to the tpms valve assemblies but some renewable seals may be appropriate.
REMEMBER! - Our price includes all fitting fees - new rubber valve, balance, old tyre disposal and VAT - what you see is what you pay
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Succeeded in cancelling my low tyre pressure warning light with a visit to a garage digital inflator, and set all tyres to the appropriate pressure. Followed that with a reset of the TPMS through the menus with the button in the car.

The tyres still have a decent enough tread, so no need to renew any just yet.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

As mentioned on POTD earlier I had a little tyre related mishap today. On my way to Elstree the lane I use has a fairly open left right S bend. As I exited the left part of the bend I was confronted with an Audi in the middle of the road overtaking a cyclist as he came round his left hand (my right hand) section of the bend. I had 3 choices, hit the Audi head on, swerve right and probably take out the cyclist (tempting :-D ) or swerve left into the kerb and field beyond. Unsurprisingly I chose the third option and hauled the wheel left ramming the not insignificant kerb at about 35mph. I will leave the rest of the photos to finish the story!!
Impact Point
Impact Point
Damage point
Damage point
Came to rest
Came to rest
Parked
Parked
Bottleneck
Bottleneck
Front wheel
Front wheel
Rear wheel
Rear wheel
The view while I awaited rescue!
The view while I awaited rescue!
So as you can see the MX3 now has two badly damaged wheels which also resulted in cracks in the wheelnuts on 3 nuts and a complete shattering of a fourth. As a result I have decided to cut my losses and source another set of original alloys to replace the current after market ones whose nuts are decidedly questionable. Whether the cracking was a result of the impact or of an over zealous tyre mechanics gun, I honestly don't know but to be safe I have decided to replace all four wheels with new nuts all round. Having had a good result recently with the replacement Subaru wheels I am now on the lookout for a set of 14" alloys with four studs at 70mm centres.!!
I have to say I believe the Audi driver may have been going so fast that he was round the next part of the bend before I had stopped as I effectively struck the kerb then ran down against it hitting the already broken section and wrecking both tyres. Consequently he knew of no reason to stop and may have just assumed that I had run onto the verge to avoid a collision and then carried on my way. As I looked in the mirror I saw the disappearing yellow of the cyclist also going round the bend and I was not exactly happy!! He must have seen and heard the two bangs yet he didn't bother to stop incase there was anything really wrong.

I am afraid to say for the cycling fraternity here that this incident only serves to strengthen my belief that cycling along country roads at rush hours is just not sensible, unless of course they are using the bike for transport rather than for enjoyment!!
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 15 Jul 2021, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Sorry to hear of your problem, Mick, but I wonder if you would have had a claim against the Audi driver or if the insurance company would have said 50/50 - therefore you can stump up your portion of the excess ? It's a times like this that a decent dashcam comes in handy.
As for cyclists on country roads - I don't think it's necessarily the cyclists fault, the problem is more related to the size of the road and the sight lines. I've spent a lot of time driving the backroads of bits of Germany, and you'll find loads of pedal pushers there, but it's rarely even slightly an issue due to generally wider country roads and good sight lines. German's don't really go in for hedgerows on lanes :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'd also get the suspension geometry checked out Mick - tracking for sure, but an overall check to make sure the rack or other parts aren't suffering from impact damage.

It's the same here - either cyclists at dusk or Horses at dawn

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you do not already have one I would get a dash cam fitted. I have one in my van and another one in my C5. They are not that expensive, and easy to install.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 15 Jul 2021, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

bobins wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 21:36 ......... It's a times like this that a decent dashcam comes in handy.
As for cyclists on country roads - I don't think it's necessarily the cyclists fault,
Ironically I have a dash cam in the Subaru but not in the Mazda!! I don't think the cyclist was at fault in any way, although he might have stopped to check I was ok, it was 100% the Audi driver's fault for overtaking him in the middle of the road while going round the left curve with no clear view of the road ahead. Had he been patient and tucked in behind the bicycle we would have passed normally and no issue. Sadly it was all too quick for me to get even part of his number so all I have is a dark blue/black Audi A4/6 driving very dangerously!! In my experience that is hardly likely to be unique!! :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

GiveMeABreak wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 21:42 I'd also get the suspension geometry checked out Mick - tracking for sure, but an overall check to make sure the rack or other parts aren't suffering from impact damage.

It's the same here - either cyclists at dusk or Horses at dawn
Yes thanks Marc, at least having fitted my space saver and a spare from the AA man I drove the car home cautiously and the steering and suspension all felt perfectly normal with no pull or vibration. We inspected the track control arm and trailing arm and they were both straight. The rack felt completely normal and I inspected the seals and no visible leaks anywhere. Hopefully it will all be ok but once I have sourced and fitted a replacement set of wheels and wheel nuts I will take it to our mancave and do a 4 wheel alignment. We have access to the equipment from my mate's neighbour when needed!! :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sound job Mick - I hope the cyclist gets a puncture in a thunderstorm and the Audi gets a speeding ticket. :devil:

Marc