Damaged Locking Head

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Damaged Locking Head

Post by Dormouse »

I have just fitted a set of Michelin Primacy 3's to our 3008 and I had difficulty locating the locking bolt adaptor on the osf wheel. What I found was a cracked ring.
1625940188596.jpg
1625940188591.jpg
has anyone had this before and can it be caused by using an impact gun?
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Re: Damaged Locking Head

Post by Sloppysod »

First things first, as you have found a cracked wheel bolt, don't use it as you dont know how deep the crack is! And, are there any other bolts affected by cracks you can't see?

I had to replace mine on my C5, one of the pins in the adapter sheared off, I repaired the adapter just enough to enable my local tyre fitter to remove the affected bolt with his impact driver, it was not easy!!
If you buy aftermarket bolts, which I did, make sure the length is right, too short and you will strip the threads. Another problem I now have is the security head is slightly larger on the locking bolt than the others so I had to buy another set of chrome covers for 19mm bolts, from the outside you would never know and I have 20 of these larger covers collecting dust!!.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Don't worry - all 4 locking bolts are now replaced. The crack is all the way down the collar so the collar has swollen ever so slightly. That is why I knew there was something wrong as the key would not just slip on. I tore my knee ligaments about 4 months ago and had to entrust the car to a local garage to fit two new front springs for it's MOT. I had found one was cracked but I just fit pairs while I am at it - just how I do things. I am suspicious about impact wrenches and locking nuts/bolts. I have never used powered tools on wheels - ever. My question is " can impact wrenches damage locking bolts like this" or is it just a coincidence that the first time I trust anyone else to touch my cars this happens?
Looking at the rust in the crack it is not fresh and the collar was ok when I put the winter tyres on last October. They should have been changed long ago but my knee has put paid to a lot of things this year and I hate having my cars worked on if I can't at least see what's happening.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

I have had "discussions" about impact wrenches for over 40 years now. It all started in a friend's garage in Aberdeen. I was put up against the young mechanic to take two wheels off a Cortina against the clock. He had an air gun, I used my own power bar. He had the rears (handbrake on), I had the fronts. Loser made the coffees (my main reason for visiting the garage on cold winter's days).
I was beat - by 6 seconds!
In all my time as a rally service mechanic I never used power wrenches either to change wheels, even in the workshop between events. I trust the feel I have over the tightness or otherwise of the thread.
Don't get me wrong, I have used impact wrenches to good effect. I just don't go to them first as a matter of course.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I use an air wrench at home to quickly remove road wheels, and lightly spin on the bolts again — if doing more than one wheel. All tightening is done with a torque wrench.

Crazy the tightness tyre bays inflict, along with the 3bar+ pressure in refitted tyres. Car rental outfits no better... :gt:
Chris
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

If everyone was careful with an air gun I wouldn't be so bothered but most don't seem to realise just what they are doing let alone check the torque setting on the gun.