Sudden EML & Loss Of Power Issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SteveH1908
My Cars: Renault 11 (previous)
Citroen Xsara (previous)
Citroen Xantia (previous)
Citroen Xsara Picasso (current)

Sudden EML & Loss Of Power Issue

Post by SteveH1908 »

Hi all,

This weekend my Xsara Picasso (110bhp diesel - 57 registration plate) had to be recovered by the RAC. I was happily driving along the motorway when, without warning, the EML came on and a message lit up saying Engine Fault. I lost power and I pulled onto the hard shoulder. The car did not cut out, and I fortunately was able to make it c. 1/2 mile to the next junction and pulled off the motorway. The RAC when plugging in their diagnostic tool found these 2 faults:

DTC: P1351, Pre-postheating Relay Control Circuit Fault
DTC: P0192, Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Input
monitored fuel rail pressure live data, suspect low pressure due to faulty fuel pump or blocked filter

They were not able to isolate the fault and my car was subsequently taken to a RAC approved garage, which was closed as it was late Saturday afternoon, and left there (the owner of the garage was made aware). I have yet to hear what they have uncovered, but wondered whether anyone had any experience of this and could recommend possible remedies? Injector issue? Simple requirement for a new fuel filter? Contaminated diesel fuel (long shot) but I had filled up with diesel during the journey at a supermarket fuel station... Many thanks.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Sudden EML & Loss Of Power Issue

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the forum.

You can ignore the first fault code (P1351). It seems to be common to all HDI engines, and yet they are working properly. Every C5 I have had (and I have had three) have thrown this error up.

If you wait a while somebody with more knowledge than I will be able to point you towards possible causes for the second error.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
SteveH1908
My Cars: Renault 11 (previous)
Citroen Xsara (previous)
Citroen Xantia (previous)
Citroen Xsara Picasso (current)

Post by SteveH1908 »

Many thanks for your reply. The RAC approved garage (not one I have used before) have come back to me and believed the low fuel pressure causing the sudden EML light and loss of power on the motorway was down to the fuel filter, which they have replaced, but they cannot guarantee despite a decent test drive themselves, which included some 70mph motorway driving, whether this was 100% the issue. The car has a FSH (currently 97k on the clock), but I was not sure evidence wise whether the fuel filter had been replaced historically before I acquired the car. Touch wood this sorts the issue and again, appreciate you offering your insight.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Full service history is no use unless it includes lists/invoices of the parts changed. Our recently acquired Suzuki had full service history stamps (half of them main dealers and all of them known garages) but little or no paperwork. You want to have seen the state of the air filter and I doubt if the pollen filter ever was touched. I changed the fuel filter on the basis that the other two easier ones were in poor condition. The standard of main dealer repair to a Turbo issue (with full paperwork) was poor with missing bolts and damaged shroud cover. I usually ignore service stamps on their own and inspect the serviceable parts were possible. So, my advice to anyone reading this is don't just trust the service stamps on their own.